Performing Arts

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Performing Arts

Postby Teddy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:32 am

The intend of this message is to reach anyone who is interested in Performing Arts.

In Chinese old saying. Throw a brick to lure a jade. It means I am like a brick and post this message asking you "a jade" to reply.

brick = very common building material.

Teddy
Teddy
Section Player

Re: Performing Arts

Postby Shapley » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:12 am

Hello, Teddy.

Welcome to the B.com BB!

Interested in the performing arts in what way? I don't perform, but I enjoy performances. I enjoy the symphony and the ballet, though I rarely have the opportunity to attend live performances.

Alas, it seems you've thrown a brick and received only another brick in reply... :)

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Teddy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:56 pm

Thank you, Shapley.

Can 2 or more bricks make a jade ? :wink:

I also enjoy Performing Arts with live orchestra. There is a NYC Broadway show coming to Hartford The Bushnell as part of 2009 world tour. I watched the show last year at Radio City Music Hall. It is quite special. 5,000 years culture and history on stage. I like the 3D animated backdrops. This NY-based company is called Divine Performing Arts ( http://www.divineperformingarts.org/ ). The world tour: http://www.divineshows.com/

It is also special about the orchestra performing live music. Half of the music instruments is traditional Chinese and another half is western. They play unique and peaceful music.
video clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLcX2LkjdmA

Maybe you have found out about this show already. Perhaps I watch this show a couple more times I can become a jade. :D

Teddy
Teddy
Section Player

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:16 am

Hi Teddy,

Welcome to the BBB!!!

TM

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:12 am

I have a couple of CD's by the "Twelve Girls Band", which plays variations on classical and popular music on a combination of traditional Chinese instruments and other instruments. I enjoy it, for the most part, but I've never seen them live. Their music is more 'pop' than 'classical' even though the themes are works by Beethoven and Mozart, as well as show tunes and pop works such as Enya.

In the "Live Music" thread I posted a review of Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings Symphony as performed by the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. It was wonderful to experience.

The few ballet's I've had the opportunity to see live were performed with recorded music, rather than live orchestra, sadly. They were still enjoyable, but the small venue either lacked the room or the money for both orchestra and ballet troupe, so they opted for canned sound. I'll have to journey up to St. Louis someday to see one performed as they should be.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Teddy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:31 pm

This following link (mp3) is a recording from the dance program called "Stone Lion's Eyes Turn Red" -- based on an ancient Chinese legend.

http://media.zhengjian.org/media/2006/1 ... urnRed.mp3

Classical western instruments combined with classical Chinese instruments

Like to hear your comments. Thanks.

Teddy
Teddy
Section Player

Return to Culture Connections