Fix your job

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Fix your job

Postby barfle » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Bravo TM!

May your tenure be long and productive!

Wish I could brag about being a bureaucrat, but I can't.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6144
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Springfield, Vahjinyah, USA

Re: Fix your job

Postby Shapley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Good for you! Glad to see things improving.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO

Re: Fix your job

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:36 pm

TM, aint trust the greatest?
I'm so glad you are being treated well.
:happydance:
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair
 
Posts: 7135
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:01 am
Location: Paradise (So. Cal.)

Re: Fix your job

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:17 am

I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...


Hooray!!! CongaRats!!!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6273
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:01 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Fix your job

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:32 pm

piqaboo wrote:TM, aint trust the greatest?
I'm so glad you are being treated well.
:happydance:


Piq,

Yes!
Thanks!!

:toast:

:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron
 
Posts: 11557
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...


Hooray!!! CongaRats!!!



Selma,

It's been 6 years of empty promises.... etc....
Things are definitely much better...

:victory:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron
 
Posts: 11557
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Shapley wrote:Good for you! Glad to see things improving.


Shapley,

Yes they are!!!

Thanks,
:flex:
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron
 
Posts: 11557
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 pm

barfle wrote:Bravo TM!

May your tenure be long and productive!

Wish I could brag about being a bureaucrat, but I can't.


Barfle,

the nice thing here is I have been "empowered" with the authority
I need to get the job done...
no longer a puppet on strings from my previous regime....

:chestbump:

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron
 
Posts: 11557
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:02 pm

congrats TM! my husband always said he really needed to work in academia because in business he'd be told what to do and in academia, at least with the research, he can do what he wants. It's a great freedom! Now if only I could get to that position... well, I am meeting with a visiting researcher this week with interests very close to mine and she's looking for collaborators... might start to get some traction in moving up the ladder here. of course, that will eventually lead to me working full time - no more Fridays off... oh well. At least it's research and I can get away with working from home when I don't have meetings and wouldn't be strapped to a 9-5 schedule...

In other news - my brand new computer, barely over a month old, has died. :curse: :curse: :curse: I was so pissed this morning - barely got anything done.... again, hard for me to do about 80% of my job without statistical software that only a few of us have....AARRGG! At least it looks like they can get a new part (after some emphasis of the critical nature of me having a working computer by me and my boss to our administrator and computer people) by Tuesday or Wednesday. Anyway, it was a very frustrating morning, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the Tuesday or Wednesday thing.... still probably lost a bunch of stuff that I did since getting the new computer...saved most on network drives, but still.... :evil:
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:congrats TM! my husband always said he really needed to work in academia because in business he'd be told what to do and in academia, at least with the research, he can do what he wants. It's a great freedom! Now if only I could get to that position... well, I am meeting with a visiting researcher this week with interests very close to mine and she's looking for collaborators... might start to get some traction in moving up the ladder here. of course, that will eventually lead to me working full time - no more Fridays off... oh well. At least it's research and I can get away with working from home when I don't have meetings and wouldn't be strapped to a 9-5 schedule...

In other news - my brand new computer, barely over a month old, has died. :curse: :curse: :curse: I was so pissed this morning - barely got anything done.... again, hard for me to do about 80% of my job without statistical software that only a few of us have....AARRGG! At least it looks like they can get a new part (after some emphasis of the critical nature of me having a working computer by me and my boss to our administrator and computer people) by Tuesday or Wednesday. Anyway, it was a very frustrating morning, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the Tuesday or Wednesday thing.... still probably lost a bunch of stuff that I did since getting the new computer...saved most on network drives, but still.... :evil:



Thanks Schmeelkie!
I am so happy to be over here!

Is your new computer Vista? If yes, then you have my permission to throw it out
of the second floor window....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron
 
Posts: 11557
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:41 pm

yup - it's vista. And I work on the 4th floor!!! :twisted:
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:52 am

Schmeelkie wrote:yup - it's vista. And I work on the 4th floor!!! :twisted:



We bought a new computer last year
We have Vista 32 Bit Operating System
quad core... 3 meg ram...

the sales person at Best Buy said this was one of the "Fastest" computers
on the market today you could buy....

I found out the wire going from the Cable Modem to the Computer
was the wrong one... THANK YOU HP FOR BEING CHEAP :curse:
Changed the wire and it helped a little bit.
Well after upgrading to Vista SP1 the damn thing has so many things going on in the
background it is STILL SLOW. Bypassed the router... STILL SLOW...

We have a tech coming to the house this Thursday to perform what they call
an "Inside Wiring Evaluation"

They said if it is our issue we will be charged for the call.

:curse: I said to the person... How could it be our issue with the wiring... You installed it.....

:curse:

and the topper is... I work for this cable company.........

Argh.............. :curse:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron
 
Posts: 11557
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:39 am

In view of the above stuff, I'm hanging onto my XP stuff until Vista's replacement gets up and running. I'm getting Windows Me flashbacks.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6273
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:01 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Fix your job

Postby barfle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:18 am

--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6144
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Springfield, Vahjinyah, USA

Re: Fix your job

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:In view of the above stuff, I'm hanging onto my XP stuff until Vista's replacement gets up and running. I'm getting Windows Me flashbacks.

What she said!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair
 
Posts: 7135
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:01 am
Location: Paradise (So. Cal.)

Re: Fix your job

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:16 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:In view of the above stuff, I'm hanging onto my XP stuff until Vista's replacement gets up and running. I'm getting Windows Me flashbacks.



I believe Vista's replacement is due on the market in 2010...
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron
 
Posts: 11557
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm in no hurry.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair
 
Posts: 7135
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:01 am
Location: Paradise (So. Cal.)

Re: Fix your job

Postby dai bread » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:22 am

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Microsoft should re-issue XP and the Gates and their Foundation will just have to make do with fewer dollars.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair
 
Posts: 3020
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Cambridge, New Zealand

Re: Fix your job

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Got new hard drive installed this am. But am still using someone else's computer here in the basement as IT still has to install my statistical software. Hopefully will have by Monday. Don't think I lost too much stuff with the dead drive, but annoyingly lost all my internet 'favorites' and don't have that nice feature in email where you start typing someone's name and the address pops up. contact list is intact, but just takes the extra seconds to find it the first time. oh, well. Got my personal server space expanded so if this happens again I won't lose anything! And will also try to backup more frequently. Anyway, I should really get to work - lost a lot of time this week (and yesterday's 12 inches of snow didn't help - took me 1 hr 10 min to get work, instead of 18 min, and left 20 early to be sure I'd be home in time for Pumpkin's bus - made it, no problem, but rather be on the safe side!).
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Fix your job

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:22 pm

piqaboo wrote:TM, aint trust the greatest?
I'm so glad you are being treated well.

I call that "being treated like an adult." All my best employee situations have been ones where I was treated as if I had a functional brain. :dunce:
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 12:01 am
Location: work. Duh!

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]

cron