The Symphony Orchestra Thread

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: The Symphony Orchestra Thread

Postby jamiebk » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:40 pm

Had a wonderful evening at the symphony last night. If you have not heard the Haydn mass yet I would recommend it. It's not the usual depressing mass. I found it very jubilant, uplifting and enjoyable as part of a Christmas repertoire. It was a packed house and the orchestra sounded great.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:45 am

My wife and I had the pleasure of attending the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra's concert here in Cape Girardeau last night. Ward Stare conducted.

The performance opened with Berlioz' Roman Carnival Overture, which was quite enjoyable. This was followed by Strauss' tone poem, Don Juan. It was well executed, but I'm still not a fan of Strauss.

Following a brief intermission, the concert resumed with Brahm's 2nd Symphony. It was a very enjoyable performance. However, since my wife complains that classical music puts her to sleep, a selection which begins with variations on a lullaby was probably not the best choice. She did, however, stay awake throughout the performance, and seemed to enjoy the performance. We were in the front row which, unfortunately, prevents seeing most of the orchestra, but it does afford an excellent view of the strings and the conductor.

All in all, a pleasant evening, and a refreshing respite from the headaches brought about by the continuing weather woes here. The respite, alas, only lasted until we reached the parking lot, where we slipped and slid our way back to the vehicle to head home.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:20 am

Shapley wrote:My wife and I had the pleasure of attending the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra's concert here in Cape Girardeau last night. Ward Stare conducted.

The performance opened with Berlioz' Roman Carnival Overture, which was quite enjoyable. This was followed by Strauss' tone poem, Don Juan. It was well executed, but I'm still not a fan of Strauss.

Following a brief intermission, the concert resumed with Brahm's 2nd Symphony. It was a very enjoyable performance. However, since my wife complains that classical music puts her to sleep, a selection which begins with variations on a lullaby was probably not the best choice. She did, however, stay awake throughout the performance, and seemed to enjoy the performance. We were in the front row which, unfortunately, prevents seeing most of the orchestra, but it does afford an excellent view of the strings and the conductor.

All in all, a pleasant evening, and a refreshing respite from the headaches brought about by the continuing weather woes here. The respite, alas, only lasted until we reached the parking lot, where we slipped and slid our way back to the vehicle to head home.

What a wonderful program!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:23 am

Sounds like a wonderful line-up. My main complaint about our Santa Rosa Symph. is that the conductor (Bruno Ferrandis) likes to perform a lot of what I would call "Avant Garde" music...modern stuff with no real melodies etc. While I can appreciate the desire to mix it up a bit, We get to hear far too few of our favorites such as you describe above.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49 am

The St. Louis Symphony has always been good about sticking to a lot of the classical classics. :)
They recently began a marketing campaign, designed to boost attendance. It seems to be having good effect. They are doing the old-fashioned way, knocking on doors and making phone calls. Since I have gotten on their mailing list, when I purchased tickets to the Lord of the Rings Symphony, they have called me three times. These were, for the most part, fundraising calls (would you like to buy a membership, etc.), but they also ask what people are looking for from the orchestra (I told them simply "More Mahler!"). Their mailings and e-newsletter also have a feedback section, and the indications are that they are reading and acting on the feedback. Good for them.

This being the conservative Mid-West, wee like our classical music, well, classical. They seem to be taking that into consideration.

Our local University Orchestra, on the other hand, is more experimental. I suppose that is to be expected of an educational institution. They are doing the Lord Nelson Mass soon, however.

One positive aspect of the current economic situation may be that it will force local venues to become more responsive to the public's tastes. That may have its' drawbacks, in that it may limit the repertoire, but I think a smart music director can be responsive and stil offer a diverse musical programme. St. Louis seems to be doing so.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:09 am

You are indeed fortunate to have such a world class symphony in your backyard.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:15 am

I don't know if two hours way constitutes "my back yard". But, they are in the neighborhood. :)
How far is San Francisco from your doorstep?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:22 am

Shapley wrote:I don't know if two hours way constitutes "my back yard". But, they are in the neighborhood. :)
How far is San Francisco from your doorstep?

Actually a little closer...about 1-1.5 hours...I commute it 4 days a week. SF is good, but I always liked the St Louis. As you state, they continue to play the music I most like. I have many recordings with Slatkin
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 am

Yes, I think Leonard Slatkin pretty well put St. Louis on the map. Unfortunately, he is now in Detroit (not unfortunate, I suppose, for Detroit, but certainly for St. Louis). However, David Robinson is doing an admirable job, especially when you consider the size of the shoes he had to fill. :)

San Francisco has the name recognition, and probably the finances, to bring in some of the big-name talent to perform with them, and looking at their calendar, they seem to be doing so. St. Louis does the same, but not as often. Then, again, I'm happy to hear the symphony and don't really don't need to pay extra to have Joshua Bell or Itzhak Perlman on the stage to make it an enjoyable evening.

Ticket prices appear to be comparable between St. Louis and San Francisco when playing their home turf. However, ticket prices to see the SLSO perform here in Cape Girardau were considerably lower. Then again, SEMO's River Campus is nice, but it's no Powell Hall.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:28 pm

The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra will be performing Verdi's Requiem at Powell Hall this Friday, and I have the opportunity to attend. I'm looking forward to it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Shapley wrote:The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra will be performing Verdi's Requiem at Powell Hall this Friday, and I have the opportunity to attend. I'm looking forward to it.

AWESOME.... to hear the Verdi Requiem live........... :flex:

AWESOME

AWESOME

Enjoy!!!!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:37 pm

Ah! Off to the symphony! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:05 pm

I had the opportunity to see and hear the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra and Chorus perform Verdi's Requiem Friday evening. It was an excellent performance, and an enjoyable evening overall. The performance was scheduled to begin at 8:00 p.m., but we arrived at 7:00 in order to pick up the tickets at the 'will call' window. Monsignor Rowling, with whom I attended, ran into an old friend, who is the organist at the local seminary. She told us there was a lecture, which began at 7:00, about Verdi's life and music, given by the music director, Mr. David Robertson. Even though we arrived a bit late for the start, we found the lecture entertaining and informative.

The Requiem itself began on time. The orchestra was in top form, and the soloists were very good. Four trumpeters were placed on the mezzanine so that, when the Dies Irae arrived at the line Tuba mirum spargens sonum per sepulchra regionum, coget omnes ante thronum. (The trumpet, scattering a wondrous sound among the graves of all the lands, will assemble all before the Throne.), the entire concert hall was filled with the sounds of the trumpets. The screen translation described it as "an awful sound", rather than the more common translation of "wonderous sound". The trumpets were anything but awful, IMHO.

The entire perfromance lasted a little over an hour and half, with no intermission. I can't think of a better way to spend an hour and half of one's life....

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:32 pm

I recently got a chance to hear a premiere by a local symphony orchestra. It was of Zeke Hecker's 3rd symphony. What, you never heard of Zeke Hecker? That's probably because he has no commercial recordings, although he has written ove 100 works. The 3rd was in 3 movements, nervous, energetic, 20 minutes long and similar to Malcolm Arnold in style. I got to speak with Zeke. He's an oboeist living and teaching in southern Vermont. He also has a large record (yes, record) collection as well as CDs. His main interest is proselytizing for "traditional" American composers (e.g. Flagello, Giannini, Creston).
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:17 am

Your knowledge of the little known composers amazes me. I'm glad to see he's getting some recognition with the public performance of his work. I hope you enjoyed it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:40 pm

The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is performing Saint Saens' Symphony No. 3 this weekend, and I have to miss it. :curse:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:13 pm

This is simply amazing!!!

Shostakovich - Festive Overture National Trumpet competition Finals 2009 Juilliard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJzvksj3cFQ
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:15 pm

The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is opening the season with Mahler's Fifth Symphony.

What a great way to start the season. I'll have to check my schedule...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Shapley wrote:The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is opening the season with Mahler's Fifth Symphony.

What a great way to start the season. I'll have to check my schedule...

I wish I could be there to see that!!!!!

FANTASTIC 1st Trumpet Part!
:mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:FANTASTIC 1st Trumpet Part!

So I hear... ImageImageImageImage

BTW, Jamie. The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra will be out your way in April.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes