What should I do? and Social Faux Pas

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: What should I do? and Social Faux Pas

Postby Serenity » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:47 pm

Well, maybe the commercials will become shorter, interesting, funnier, daring, subliminal, etc. When international soccer matches are playing, commercials will scroll at the edge of the screen. Of course that interferes with all the stats that our sports display on TV.

If commercials annoy me, I make it a point not to purchase their products. That's about the extent of my power! :flex:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:57 pm

This is more of a "lack of will-power confession".

I had full intention of working out the upper boy with free weights.today. :oops:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:01 am

Serenity wrote:This is more of a "lack of will-power confession".

I had full intention of working out the upper boy with free weights.today. :oops:

How does the upper boy feel about that? And why does the lower boy get left out in the cold? :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:17 am

Legs were done the day before yesterday. I guess that's why I was tired yesterday. I'm just starting to workout on a regular basis; trying to build up a routine but doing it at the end of the day is tough. Today is Friday, I'm usually fired up and I don't have to work tomorrow. Upper body tonight! :flex:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:56 pm

OK...worked out upper body for a couple of hours and started with 30min Nordictrack at target heart rate (at the fat burning level). Alas!...Friday night.....neighborhood friends paying visits bearing gifts.....one bottle of wine later, guilt sets in....but Australian wine is so good!....Uh oh! The wine is gone....going to the secret stash of Sam Adams Double Bock (insert sound of Homer's drool here!)!

Oh where did I go wrong?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:34 pm

You can't go wrong with Samuel Adams...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Shapley wrote:You can't go wrong with Samuel Adams...

Even without the workout!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Sam Adams....Brewer *Patriot.........
reminds me of Warrior*Poet......start the bagpipes!

What!? We don't have a Bagpipe Smiley yet?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:17 am

Serenity wrote:Sam Adams....Brewer *Patriot.........
reminds me of Warrior*Poet......start the bagpipes!

What!? We don't have a Bagpipe Smiley yet?

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Serenity » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:48 pm

QAPLA'!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:58 pm

Miss Manners: Should He Stop Opening Doors For Ladies?

Every so often this subject comes up, but I've actually not heard it in years, and had considered it settled. Some men claim that some women are offended if they open the door for them. This was a hot topic back in the '70s heyday of 'women's libertaion'.

I've opened doors for people from one end of this country to another, and sometimes overseas, and I don't recall anyone ever being 'offended' by it. I've sometimes had someone tell me "I can get that" or have them stop and gesture for me to enter first, but there never seemed to be any 'offense' taken. Frequently, when entering an airlock entrance to a building (two sets of entry doors), I've had them 'return the favour' and hold the second door for me after I've held the first.

Has anyone here ever been offended by someone holding the door for them, or had someone taken offense at their doing so? Just curious.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:06 pm

If its a business situation, and I have to wait for you so you can get past me to open the door, then its a PITA and you should just let me go first fer pete's sake. Offended? No. Annoyed, yes.

If its social, I will happily wait for you to open the door should you see fit to do so.
Car doors to enter, especially, as I'm usually lugging fancy duds, a purse and a coat while teetering on silly-high heels. I need all the help I can get.

Mostly I experience first to door holds it: female for female, male for male, female for male, etc.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:19 pm

I'm not one to knock someone down trying to beat them to the door to open it. If they beat me to the door, they're on their own, unless their arms are full or otherwise look like they may have trouble opening it.

Our local bakery has one of those hard-to-open outer doors that grace the exterior of some airlock spaces. I will frequently work my way past people to hold that one if I see them leaving with their arms laden. I've seen to many people spill their coffee trying to hold the coffee and open the door with one hand while trying to hold a fresh danish in the other. They really could use an automatic door there.

I generally open the door for either male or female, makes no difference, if I get there first, and am not in a great hurry. Perhaps that is the source of the offense. If someone is seen as being indifferent to the struggles of a same-gender person passing through the door, but then knocks over three people to get to the door to open it for an attractive member of the opposing gender, then I can see where a number of people could be offended. Not the least of which would be the three who got knocked over. I will go out of my way to open the door for those encumbered with packages or handicapped.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:15 pm

So far, nobody's called me a MCP for holding a door. I tend to do it when it makes sense no matter what the gender of the other person, and almost always do it for my wife, unless I'm encumbered by grocery bags or some such, when it doesn't make sense.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Perhaps more than opening the door for someone, I find more that I hold the door open for the next in line as I pass through a door. This prevents it from closing in their face which would be rude, I think. It only takes an extra second or two and is appreciated by many who would otherwise have to open the door from a fully closed position.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:42 pm

My own attitude on the subject is sort of common-sense. I'll hold the door for the next user, if they're close. I'll smile and thank anyone who holds a door for me that I'm almost at. I'll open and hold a door for anyone who's got both hands full and I appreciate anyone who'll hold a door for me when I'm carrying stuff. I wouldn't wait for anyone of any gender to open a door for me when I'm already at it and they're not.

I even hold the elevator for really elderly geezers at the condo - they seem to appreciate it, nobody seems offended.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Got no problem with it myself...

Only time I get offended is when I'm with the kids, herding Pumpkin, and dealing with Bella in the stroller and someone who obviously could hold a door doesn't. those 'airlock' doors are particularly combersome with a stroller and I profusly thank anyone who holds doors for me in that situation. Luckily, Bella is outgrowing the stroller - I'm using it less and less, so this is less of an issue. Always happy with an easy door that Pumpkin can push - he always tries... And uses the Force to open the automatic ones. He'll run ahead so he can make them open for us! :jedi:
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:35 pm

One of my pet peaves is the too-small airlock, in which there is no room to stand and hold the inner door. Cracker Barrel restaurants are notorious for this, but many restaurants follow the same minimal standard, and some older buildings are even worse. I have frequently tried to hold the door open for persons in wheelchairs (I often have to push one myself), strollers, or with other mobility aids, only to find that there is no way to hold the door and not be at least partially in they way as the person passes through.

Then, of course, there are those corner-airlock doors that aren't big enough for one person to stand in and open the second door, let alone two... :curse:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Shapley wrote:One of my pet peaves is the too-small airlock, in which there is no room to stand and hold the inner door. Cracker Barrel restaurants are notorious for this, but many restaurants follow the same minimal standard, and some older buildings are even worse. I have frequently tried to hold the door open for persons in wheelchairs (I often have to push one myself), strollers, or with other mobility aids, only to find that there is no way to hold the door and not be at least partially in they way as the person passes through.

Then, of course, there are those corner-airlock doors that aren't big enough for one person to stand in and open the second door, let alone two... :curse:

Revolvers are worse, actually
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:02 pm

jamiebk wrote:Revolvers are worse, actually

Those are pretty rare around here and, indeed, in the places I frequent. I know of two in Cape Girardeau, both in hospitals and both equipped with by-pass doors. I always use the by-pass doors.

Then again, the revolvers are automatic, so you don't have to hold them open for anyone...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections