What should I do? and Social Faux Pas

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: What should I do? and Social Faux Pas

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:07 pm

I've got a pretty simple rules, and they are based on efficiency. If we are going through the door in the same direction, if you are within a step or two, I will hold the door for you, if you are several steps back I will walk through and keep pressure on the door so it is still open for you. More than about 6 steps, you are on your own. Sorry. If we are going opposite ways through a door, the person walking in the direction of the door swing should have priority, and the person walking against the swing should hold the door. It is more efficient for the person with the pull to hold the door. All bets are off on saloon doors. :mrgreen:
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Re: What should I do? and Social Faux Pas

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:08 pm

This have always been relatively moot in the South. I post a few years back that I had a grandmother who had, I believe, the first known titanium index knuckle. With it she that could poke holes in the heads of unsuspecting little boys like my cousins and I, especially when she thought we were being un-gentlemanly.

To this day I can still hear (and feel!) her say "Jimmy! Where's your manners? Hold the door open for the lady!"

The memory of that knuckle is still more powerful than the potential nasty look I might get today if I hold the door for some liberated lady -still rare here in the South (nasty looks, not the door holding); "Southeren" women expect it and transplants pick that up sharpish.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections