Fix your job

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Fix your job

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:57 am

dai bread wrote:"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Microsoft should re-issue XP and the Gates and their Foundation will just have to make do with fewer dollars.

If Microsoft ever did that.... then how about financial compensation
to the people who bought the piece of crap they call Vista?
All that lost time trying to AND STILL working through problems. :curse:
Oh... the pain and suffering :curse:
OR
Free conversions back to XP....

End of my rant........
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:04 am

Ranting is good. Lets off steam before the blood pressure gets out of hand.

I expect Microsoft feels as bad about Vista as they do the Y2K flap, and Windows Me (about which I'm pretty sure barfle's right). Remember, every silver lining comes wrapped in an ugly cloud... :mrgreen:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 am

Microsoft is just learning from the automakers. I've bought several vehicles, only to have the dealer send me notices that I need to 'update' it. (i.e., dealer recall). While none of mine have ever been recalled outright, I had one vehicle that must have had fifty updates, er... recalls. Eventually, the warranty ran out and they no longer issued updates, I just had to buy a newer version....

I wonder if Bill Gates will be flying to Washington for his bailout anytime soon...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:37 pm

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:
1. Take a firm hold of the thing that's giving you trouble.
2. Drag it outside.
3. Shoot it.

There. Now I feel better. Thus endeth the :curse: :rant: :guns:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:
2. Drag it outside.
3. Shoot it.

You're absolutely right.
The only thing is - how do you get rid of/hide the corpse? :?
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:20 am

DavidS wrote: - how do you get rid of/hide the corpse? :?

It's a military facility. This means that Public Works always has a big hole dug somewhere. Alternately, I could skin the carcass and nail the skin to the hangar doors, as a warning.
As a last resort, the mutant jackalopes can always be blamed.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:51 pm

Glad to see you are in fine fettle, Selma.
:hi:
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:14 pm

I was having some computer issues yesterday. Our helpful IT folks "pushed" a friendly helpful security utility out over the LAN, to join the other 52 security utilities running in the background. All to keep me safe from demon malware hacker fiends. How considerate.

#53 utility apparently disagreed with one of the preceding safety utilities, and things locked up, rendering me secured to a faretheewell. I'dve had more luck applying my troubleshooting program had our Help Desk been located closer than Omaha...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:15 pm

2. Drag it outside.
3. Shoot it.

Glad you feel better....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 pm

DavidS wrote:
2. Drag it outside.
3. Shoot it.

You're absolutely right.
The only thing is - how do you get rid of/hide the corpse? :?

David,

She sent the body to Mrs. Lovett..... :yum:

Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I was having some computer issues yesterday. Our helpful IT folks "pushed" a friendly helpful security utility out over the LAN, to join the other 52 security utilities running in the background. All to keep me safe from demon malware hacker fiends. How considerate.

#53 utility apparently disagreed with one of the preceding safety utilities, and things locked up, rendering me secured to a faretheewell. I'dve had more luck applying my troubleshooting program had our Help Desk been located closer than Omaha...

that bites the big one...
tell them to do the following:

1) go to dos prompt
2) type in delete *.*
3) hit enter
4) start over and reload from scratch
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:21 pm

In my more cynical moments I tend to think this sort of thing happens on purpose. Our IT group is a contractor and they get paid by the trouble call. I had to make two yesterday. I was not alone. :curse:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:05 pm

I'm quite certain IT contractors work that way. I wouldn't have them near the place.

Once upon a time, when a 30mb disc was considered big, I had to call out the maintenance contractors regularly every month. They would fix whatever I'd called them out for, then within a day or two of their departure, something else would go wrong.

Eventually I ditched the system, although a stand-alone part of it was retained. Naturally, I ditched the contractor with the system. Then, when the stand-alone part eventually required attention, the contractor had the impertinence to complain. It's just as well I wasn't still with that company or you'd have heard the row from Hartford, without benefit of the telephone.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:47 pm

No system is perfect. You have to learn your system. Then, you have to learn about other systems. Then, you have to make up your mind about what you like and dislike about each system. And....just when you are able to complain knowledgeably about the situation you're in.....they change your system! :badputer:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby analog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:54 pm

the durn computer becomes an end itself and the IT types are in orbit around it.

Since nobody else understands the doggone things there are no corporate checks and balances on an IT department, so it grows like "The Blob" . When the company has got to the point it can't produce anything but powerpoint presentations the executives create a merger and bail out.

I blame IBM and Microsoft for the collapse of American business.
They erased the distinction between productive and nonproductive work, and taught us to revere overpriced mediocrity.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote: #53 utility apparently disagreed with one of the preceding safety utilities, and things locked up, rendering me secured to a faretheewell. I'dve had more luck applying my troubleshooting program had our Help Desk been located closer than Omaha...

The best security is no users at all . . .
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Serenity wrote:No system is perfect. You have to learn your system. Then, you have to learn about other systems. Then, you have to make up your mind about what you like and dislike about each system. And....just when you are able to complain knowledgeably about the situation you're in.....they change your system! :badputer:

As I often say, "It's a computer. Logic has nothing to do with it." :curse:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Life is easier today - big poster session for our department tomorrow and everyone had to have their posters sent to the printers yesterday. I did a poster, but the real annoyance were the 4 other staff members (either actively applying to PhD programs or planning to in the future) who are on projects with me who were all encouraged by our PI (boss) to come to me with any and all statistical issues. So I've spent more time collectively on their posters than I did on my own! If any one of them wins a prize tomorrow - I better be getting a BIG box of chocolate! Of course, nice thing is - my name on 5 posters. Not bad for the CV even if it is an internal department poster session. Anyway, wish me luck tomorrow!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Schmeelkie wrote: Anyway, wish me luck tomorrow!

Do you want us to wish luck today, for tomorrow? Or do you want us to wait until tomorrow to wish you luck? ;)

Good luck, tomorrow! (And what' left of today, as well)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:48 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:my name on 5 posters. Not bad for the CV even if it is an internal department poster session. Anyway, wish me luck tomorrow!

I can do that? Oh my! References update session in my future...
I just (yes, just as in yesterday afternoon) realized I can put these odd training courses on there,
like Kepner Tregoe Analysis, and Quality Management Systems.
However, that means I have to pare somewhere (to keep the cv to 2 pages) and that means work...
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections