Tag Lines

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Tag Lines

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Let’s talk about tag lines.

You know, that line at the bottom of all our posts. Some are cutesy, some are funny, some are profound some are…disturbing, but this is not the place for THAT discussion; we’ll start that thread on the “X rated” thread…oops, there isn’t one! :rofl:

What motivated you to create your tag line? What would motivate you to change? What do you think is a good tag line?

I’ve tried to find some of the ones I’ve used. I think there are 2-3, including the current one, a brazen rip-off of… Bosworth? Johnson? I can’t recall and I’m too lazy to google it.

I think one of my earliest was “Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

I think this was in my profoundly unhappy clown period.

Then I had “My computer used to beat me at chess but it was no match for me in kickboxing” (again, paraphrasing..lay-zy)

I’ve been wondering what my next one should be. I’ve considered Oscar Levant’s

“There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.”

I'm certain the MRHYN would support that one but I’m not so sure it’s me. Well, actually it is me, I'm just not sure it shares any revelations about me to the world.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

Oscar Wilde

Meh, that falls in the cutesy /profound category.

Hmmmm, gonna hafta think about this
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Tag Lines

Postby Serenity » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:18 pm

How about:

"Suicidal Twin makes a mistake and kills sister instead";

"624787 for President";

"How do they get deer to cross at the yellow sign?"

"Fat people are harder to kidnap".
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:26 pm

I chose my tag line because it fits my situation perfectly. I have no money, so I must use my brains.

The same goes for my country, and as I am posting on an international bulletin board, the quote is doubly appropriate.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Serenity wrote: "Fat people are harder to kidnap".

I have a friend who can proved that the Earth is spinning faster than it did 40 years ago. That's who there are so few skinny people left, the rotations throws them out into space!! Only the heavier people survive. So, overweight/obesity is a survival trait!!! :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:56 am

I've gone through a few tag lines. I started without one for the first few months on the board, but finally hit on something I thought clever enough to use. I believe my first tag line was "The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name". That one appeared in a math textbook I was reading at the time.

I later changed it to "May you live in interesting times". I believe I used that in response to some post or other on the board, in which someone (OT, I think, or perhaps Tanja) commented about how interesting times were. The qoute came to mind.

Some time ago, we had a discussion on security clearances and security measures, and I changed mine briefly to "This space left intentionally blank", again in response to that discussion. After a while, the meaning was lost as that thread died out, so I changed it, though I don't recall to what.

The current quote is also in response to some thread or other, though I've lost track of what thread or what significance to the thread existed. I was really kind of tired of the old one, so I changed it.

Periodically, it seems, I'm overcome with a desire to change it. I am reminded of the old billboard that read: "The boss told me to change this sign, so I did."

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:54 am

I've always liked:

"Once I thought I was wrong...but, I was mistaken."
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:36 pm

I like to use real quotes that strike me as funny or interesting. They probably look random to most other folks. Many of them are my own stupid utterances, but Giant Commie Robot's line just struck me and I've stuck with it because I do feel like a 12-foot lizard every once in a while.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 pm

My own..."Leave it better than you found it" describes the way I live and to that which I aspire. If everyone would apply this to everything we do and touch, over time, the world would be a better place to live. I picked this up when I was a teenager in Boy Scouts..it has never left me.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:51 pm

jamiebk wrote:My own..."Leave it better than you found it" describes the way I live and to that which I aspire. If everyone would apply this to everything we do and touch, over time, the world would be a better place to live. I picked this up when I was a teenager in Boy Scouts..it has never left me.

According to Freud, that is what we as a society aspire to do. We can't always agree on what constitutes 'better than before', of course, but ultimately we seek to leave our children a better world than one that was here when we found it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:15 pm

Shapley wrote:
jamiebk wrote:My own..."Leave it better than you found it" describes the way I live and to that which I aspire. If everyone would apply this to everything we do and touch, over time, the world would be a better place to live. I picked this up when I was a teenager in Boy Scouts..it has never left me.

According to Freud, that is what we as a society aspire to do. We can't always agree on what constitutes 'better than before', of course, but ultimately we seek to leave our children a better world than one that was here when we found it.

Been in any inner city slums lately? ...sorry rhetorical... question, but my point is that, unfortunately, I don't think Freud was 100% correct on this.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:50 pm

jamiebk wrote:Been in any inner city slums lately? ...sorry rhetorical... question, but my point is that, unfortunately, I don't think Freud was 100% correct on this.

I have been in them, but not lately. Freud was speaking about society as a whole, not about individual acts. There have always been those who are content to wallow in their own filfth, but they do not make up the larger share of society, or civilization would never have advanced.

We build and have built to make a better world; a bigger Rome, a more magnificent China, a stronger America, you name it; to leave to our children. Even many of those who we regard as villains; Hitler, Geghis Khan, et. al., sought to change the world in an image they thought to be better than the one they found. Most of our advances, whether for ill or good, are designed to advance civilation and leave the world better than it was found. They don't always succeed, mind you, but that is the general intent of man's progression.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:04 pm

This post is so I can see what my tag line is....
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:08 pm

"Altoid - curiously strong".
Pretty obvious steal from Altoid mint advertising, referring however in this case to the small Altoid is it my pleasure to parent. As an infant, indeed she was. Loud too. Now, physically, not so much. In fact, she takes distressingly after her mother as a child in that way, poor kid. Ah well, nothing 6 years of lifting weights wont cure, starting in a decade or so.

Anyone got any suggestions around the question 'why' ?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:25 pm

piqaboo wrote:Anyone got any suggestions around the question 'why' ?

As a random guess, based on a general mechanical principle, because tall and narrow offers less mechanical advantage for a given force a than shorter, wider platform would. I'll bet Melle or Deb could outlift you: I might even be able to. Not sure.

But I can't reach that :curse: :rant: top shelf.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Here is the post that prompted me to change mine to the current one.

by OperaTenor » 29 Apr 2007, 15:18

I predict, intense, wiggly backpedaling by tomorrow morning.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:29 pm

I think I'll stick with >^..^< , it seems appropriate. The cat is always watching. Don't believe it? Just leave the cover off the butter.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:56 pm

In virtually every discussion on these boards, my own lack of knowledge is made nauseatingly clear. The only thing I'm professionally trained in is electronic engineering, and unfortunately I haven't done hardly any of that for going on to a decade, so I'm a rube there, too.

I post on the BBB because I enjoy classical music. But the closest I've come to taking any formal training in music was a ballet appreciation class I took sometime in the 1980s, when I already appreciated the dancing girls. I hoped to expand my horizons in the genre, but they were already beyond the scope of the class at the time.

So in many of my endeavors, I'm either completely self-taught, or have just enough training to be dangerous. If I had known what I was doing in rebuilding the laundry room, it would have taken far less than half the time it did. And I wouldn't have had to redo the cabinet doors (which still aren't complete!).

So, when it comes to almost any topic, I may not be an authority, but...
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:10 pm

You are much to hard on yourself Barfle....I think the beauty of the BBB is to make each of us think. You do that...you are intelligent, logical, and articulate. What else does anyone need? We can't all be experts on everything...most of us, like you, carve out a little space in the world where we know a little sumpthin' about a few things. I would rather be conversant in many things than an expert in one or two. Life is much more interesting that way, IMHO.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Gee, on rereading that, I guess it does seem a bit of a downer.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that there ARE plenty of things I like, and that's a good thing. It's possible to educate yourself right out of enjoyment of some wonderful experiences (read ANY review of a classical music performance), so maybe it's better to not be able to determine that the fourth chair of the cello section missed a note in the third movement.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby analog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Barfle, you are thoughtful, consistently expressing common sense and kindness.

I'm the brogans in the tuxedo locker.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections