Let's hear it for Wal-Mart!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Let's hear it for Wal-Mart!

Postby jamiebk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:31 pm

piqaboo wrote:(U-shaped nails for fencing).

These are called fencing staples. Most hardware stores should have 'em. You can even buy them on line:
http://fasteners.hardwarestore.com/18-6 ... googlebase
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:36 pm

Google found five hardware stores in Valley Center. Two before you come to Fat Ivor's, three more around the bend and a little further down Valley Center Road. OT probably knows 'em all. Sounds like a good reason to go to Valley Center. Might fit fence staples and lunch into the same trip, though actual fence repair would have to wait on digestion.

Bakersfield, being 250 miles away and on the far side of Ellay, is a less attractive notion.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:06 pm

I didn't think Bakersfield was an option, I just didn't know where else a TSC might be located. There could be one close to San Diego. Their website list ten stores in California but, not being familiar with the locale, I didn't know if any were close to your area. I know where Bakersfield is, and I know where Gilroy is, having been to both of those communities, and I know they're not near San Diego. Most of the others are unfamiliar to me: Tulare, Clovis, Atwater, Turlock, Oakdale, Ripon, Galt, and Dixon (actually, I think I've been to Dixon).
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Relentless. that's the ticket.
We on the other hand were toting a 1 yr old. If we'd gone in together, that's one thing. but each of us was in there, with the 1 yr old. Who was more relentless.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:24 pm

The fence is now 3 years old.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Shapley wrote:Lowes, Home Depot, etc., don't even carry parts for the equipment they sell... :curse:

You can buy a chain saw one day, and try to buy a part for it a month later, only to find they don't carry that brand any more. They parts they sell are usually third party "one size fits all" parts, that fit every brand but the one you own.

Had the same problem at HD last week. Had purchased a light for kitchen ceiling a few years ago and when the guys putting in the microwave were messing with the fuses, the bulb blew. Can't find a replacement bulb looking around in HD (did ask someone to help look, but he couldn't find it either - didn't think to see if we could order and guy didn't suggest this), sent husband to Lowes - he was told that it must have been made for HD, they didn't have it. Have yet to get around to going back to HD to see if we can order. :curse: Will go to local lighting store next time we need something, that's for sure. (and will leave a note for the next owners of the house)

One plus for Wal-Mart. Wanted to get an art table for the kids - something with shelves and places to put crayons, etc (rather than all over the living room floor!). Saw some nice examples in over-priced catalogs like Pottery Barn (mostly over $450, without chairs or stools). But found a great, mostly plastic one, big enough for 2 and including two stools at WM for a tad over $100. It was online and WM will ship to a local store - you don't pay shipping and can pick up in about a week. Very convenient for someone who does a lot of online shopping!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby analog » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:41 am

it's so popular to dump on walmart.... and i do miss their promoting US made tools .

but on the other hand they've got China so into western business they have likely affected the direction of 21st century.

And as Isaac Asimov says, the products aren't elegant but people can afford them.

March 19 (Bloomberg) — Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world’s largest retailer, plans to award $2 billion in extra compensation to about 1 million U.S. hourly workers this year after sales jumped in the recession (average of $2,000 per worker). The Arkansas-based retailer is benefiting from record sales in the fourth quarter that boosted annual revenue by 7.2% to $401 billion.

The amount of the bonuses, profit sharing, discounts and 401(k) and stock-plan contributions being given to employees compares with the $1.8 billion Wal-Mart distributed last year. Payments to employees include $933.6 million in bonuses today.

Now and then we do treat ourselves to something luxurious and US made - this Christmas Fair Anne got me that Milwaukee close quarter electric drill I've ogled for a decade. And last birthday a set of genuine Channel-Lock pliers... She has that giant KitchenAid mixer made in the Midwest someplace i think Ohio...

a thing of beauty is a joy forever..
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:09 am

Nice compact tool. I have this one:

Boy does it ever come in handy when that special job or circumstance arises...(PS...the handle comes off as well)
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:23 am

Heading there tonight to buy a nephew's birthday present and a few basic toiletries.
I occasionally find some clothing item more than worth the price they are charging.
It would be hell to depend on them for clothing, but the odd find is great.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Nicole Marie