Tag Lines

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Tag Lines

Postby piqaboo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:49 am

Ah, I was unclear. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the 'why' for the relative strength thing.
But I overcame it for years.

I was unclear. I'm looking for a nifty new sig along the theme of 'why'.
"Why" started in our house early June 2006, and has continued unabated ever since.
I must answer a Why question 30 times an hour when with Altoid. If we turn it back on her, she answers (reluctantly), but then digs a bit deeper to pull out a new 'why' from the concept.
When I need a break, I borrow a 4 year old [Thanks for the hint, all them months ago, Selma.], then all I have to do is say "work it out or I'll take it away" every 15 min. Far easier.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:54 am

piqaboo wrote:I was unclear. I'm looking for a nifty new sig along the theme of 'why'.
"Why" started in our house early June 2006, and has continued unabated ever since.
I must answer a Why question 30 times an hour when with Altoid. If we turn it back on her, she answers (reluctantly), but then digs a bit deeper to pull out a new 'why' from the concept...

Ah.
Melle does the "Why do you suppose?" redirect a lot. I'm a simpler soul, I usually went with "Because" and "You figure it out." The incessant "Why?" is a manipulation attempt, most times. If I figured it was an honest inquiry, I'd haul 'em to the library or the zoo or the museum or the Fleet.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:19 pm

(banished to appropriate thread. :dunce: )
Last edited by Selma in Sandy Eggo on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
piqaboo wrote:I was unclear. I'm looking for a nifty new sig along the theme of 'why'.
I must answer a Why question 30 times an hour when with Altoid. If we turn it back on her, she answers (reluctantly), but then digs a bit deeper to pull out a new 'why' from the concept...

Ah.
Melle does the "Why do you suppose?" redirect a lot. I'm a simpler soul, I usually went with "Because" and "You figure it out." The incessant "Why?" is a manipulation attempt, most times. If I figured it was an honest inquiry, I'd haul 'em to the library or the zoo or the museum or the Fleet.

My Mom's answer was always...."Because"
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:06 pm

I think I started with an Obama quote I liked, that I now can't remember....

Then did a line from a popular song about being 35 for when I was 35.

Current line is just a great quote from Pumpkin - the things kids come up with. We were goofing around with adding things that weren't numbers and he came up with this. It actually makes sense...at least to me.

Been thinking of updating, but no good ideas. Bella's talking a blue streak lately, might get something interesting from her soon...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Why is at least in part an attempt at conversation. However, if you ask the little monster why she asks why, she always answers 'because its something I dont know".
As noted, turning it back works some, but then we go deeper.
Its kinda fun.
We do a lot of the library, etc stuff. I need to practice teaching her to find out the answers herself. But I'm getting better.

I hate 'because'. I've used it, but I prefer not to. I've worked with too many people who do things 'because'.

OT uses "why do you think?" which is much like Melle's.

Anyhow, I need to find a WHY quote at some point (to return to the topic of taglines).

Schmeelkie, I've loved that logic of Pumpkin's since you first posted it.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 pm

piqaboo wrote:I hate 'because'. I've used it, but I prefer not to. I've worked with too many people who do things 'because'.

I didn't like it much either when mom used it. Seemed like a cop-out (and it was) :rofl:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:13 pm

"Why not?" is always a better option.

Then, again, it's always fun to make crap up in answer to the question. Read Calvin and Hobbes, Calvin's dad is an excellent model for such things... :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:07 pm

Four-year-olds are literal-minded. Making up crap is a very bad idea.

When the Incessant Why was being used on me because a child wanted Mommy to stop doing Mommy stuff and pay attention to Child, said Child would often get a "Because of..." explanation and a five minute timer, duration of which Child was required to spend thinking about the Why/Because. I'd discuss it further after five minutes, if Child still wanted to risk another contemplation. This tended to sort the Bored Child from the Inquisitive Child, and also encouraged Bored Child to acquire self-amusement skills.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:36 pm

This conversation seems more suited to the "Altoid and other cuties" thread.

Hijacks are inevitable, and everyone likes to talk about their kids.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:16 am

Schmeelkie wrote:
Then did a line from a popular song about being 35 for when I was 35.

Actually it was 33...'33 you're on your way, every day's a new day' Song descibes being married having young child - right where I was at the time - felt like me...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:18 am

Only partial hijack... maybe I should switch to what Pumpkin said in repsonse to me telling him I loved him this am: "I love you most of the time, Mommy" He looked surprised when I said I always loved him even when we were mad, or he was driving me crazy.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Because of my well known, deep abiding concern of how the U.S. is perceived by the rest of the world maybe I should change my tag to

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Fear and hate are very destructive forces...Do you really want to emulate the man to whom these words are attributed?
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Maybe, in the absence of a good quote around 'why', I'll just swap to "Why ?"
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:34 pm

piqaboo wrote:Maybe, in the absence of a good quote around 'why', I'll just swap to "Why ?"

How 'bout "Because Your Mother SAID SO!"
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:50 pm

jamiebk wrote:Fear and hate are very destructive forces...Do you really want to emulate the man to whom these words are attributed?

Well, they will hate us no matter what we do. If they don't fear us we're in trouble.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Four-year-olds are literal-minded. Making up crap is a very bad idea

I'm shocked at you. Making up crap is a time-honoured human tradition. Careers and Empires have been built on made-up crap. From Rudyard Kipling's Just so stories and the Brothers Grimm's Fairy Tales to ancient folk tales, urban legends, and myths. The history of man is the history of making up crap. Politicians rise to power on the mounds of crap they make up, Authors make their fortunes creating new and interesting crap, and grandparents have been dazzling and baffling their grandchildren with made-up crap since the beginning of time. Teachers teach made-up crap in our schools. There is more made-up crap in our libraries than honest-to-goodness facts.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 am

I'm having a blast setting made-up info time-bombs in my kids minds. Always about useless topics, mind you. I can't wait until the first research paper hits my desk showing me how wrong I was. Then I can say, Ha, Ha!

I think 'lil'bit is preparing her first paper now.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:34 am

My favourite Calvin & Hobbs involves Calvin asking his dad how they determine the load limit on bridges. His dad explains that they just keep driving heavier and heavier trucks across them until they collapse, then they rebuild them and put up a sign.

[sigh] He's my role model... :)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections