2ND Amendment Ruling Due in 2008

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: 2ND Amendment Ruling Due in 2008

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:15 pm

analog wrote:While they've got everyone distracted,,,

Yeah, I've been following that one as well. It doesn't appear to have any support on either side of the aisle and even the more anti-gun representatives are shying away from this one, with good reason.

The Democrat party admitted that they lost the House in 95 mainly on gun control issues (I think it was more complicated than that but will concede the point)

I don't think they are going to want to get into that area, at least for now, when they have too many other dragons to slay, starting with the reimposition of some kind of "fairness doctrine" on the only form of media they don't control, talk radio.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:53 pm

I don't think they are going to want to get into that area, at least for now, when they have too many other dragons to slay, starting with the reimposition of some kind of "fairness doctrine" on the only form of media they don't control, talk radio

i sure hope you are right. Around these parts it'd start an armed revolt.

to an earlier question of yours, "do i reload?"
So far only vicariously at my friends' house on their equipment.
Have a press and dies in boxes in the garage awaiting space in workshop. Still haven't recovered from last move....

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:01 pm

analog wrote:
I don't think they are going to want to get into that area, at least for now, when they have too many other dragons to slay, starting with the reimposition of some kind of "fairness doctrine" on the only form of media they don't control, talk radio

i sure hope you are right. Around these parts it'd start an armed revolt.

to an earlier question of yours, "do i reload?"
So far only vicariously at my friends' house on their equipment.
Have a press and dies in boxes in the garage awaiting space in workshop. Still haven't recovered from last move....

a.

As it would in most of the U.S. even including "blue states". What no one seems to realized that there aren't any "Blue states" just states with "blue cities." While citizens of those cities might support gun control, they aren't generally going to clamor for more gun control.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Memphis newspaper under fire for posting handgun permits.

…the paper added the database because newspapers should be a thorough source for community information. He pointed to the recent shooting as a proof why the database is valuable to readers.

Hmmm. I have a big, and potentially, mean dog. He's "registered" with the county by my address and I have a "permit" (dog tag) for him. There was a local report about a dog biting a Post Man a week or so ago. Do you think the newspapers would print that in the spirit of “because newspapers should be a thorough source for community information”?

Besides, I might not always be home but he is, so he’s potentially as dangerous as any gun I might have.

Unless the burglar is a small kid, Haggis is afraid of kids. If you’re going to break into my home when I’m not there, bring a 5 y.o. kid. :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:01 am

Haggis@wk wrote:Unless the burglar is a small kid, Haggis is afraid of kids. If you’re going to break into my home when I’m not there, bring a 5 y.o. kid. :rofl:

Bwa hahahahahah ! :rubbing hands icon:
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Professor Calls Police On Student For Giving Pro-Gun Speech

Let one of the Bill of Rights fall, and the rest will follow like dominoes...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:17 pm

piqaboo wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:Unless the burglar is a small kid, Haggis is afraid of kids. If you’re going to break into my home when I’m not there, bring a 5 y.o. kid. :rofl:

Bwa hahahahahah ! :rubbing hands icon:

Cruel, cruel. Haggis would be cowering behind me before he figurered out 'Toid isn't lethal (to dogs, anyway, 17 y.o. boys....you're on yer own!! well, OT is) :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:49 pm

:toast:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby analog » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:31 pm

Has anyone else noticed a dearth of .22 ?

We used to buy 500 round boxes now there's not one within 50 miles.
Price nearly doubled last year and now local Walmart managers all say they can't get it.
At first i thought it was just us bubbas stocking up after election but now wonder if something else is afoot....

Is this an Ozarks phenomenon?

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:58 pm

analog wrote:Has anyone else noticed a dearth of .22 ?

We used to buy 500 round boxes now there's not one within 50 miles.
Price nearly doubled last year and now local Walmart managers all say they can't get it.
At first i thought it was just us bubbas stocking up after election but now wonder if something else is afoot....

Is this an Ozarks phenomenon?

a.

Dunno, I don't buy .22. I'll check my local WalMart tomorrow.

You use it for plinking or hunting? I use to hunt squirrels with .22. I don't recall ever killing one with a .22, it wasn't until I got my 16 ga. shotgun that I started eating squirrel I killed for breakfast.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:49 pm

You use it for plinking or hunting? I use to hunt squirrels with .22. I don't recall ever killing one with a .22, it wasn't until I got my 16 ga. shotgun that I started eating squirrel I killed for breakfast.

Mostly plinking when the kids visit.

The squirrels are kinda cute and entertaining to watch until they become a horde.

It got so we couldn't keep Fair Anne's birdfeeder stoked, there'd be four or five squirrels in it and a dozen on the ground below. They're aggressive and chase off her birds. So I started thinning them out. When get a freezer full we have fried squirrel dinner with next door neighbor Harry, who's a master at spicing and frying them. A couple minutes in the pressure cooker makes em tender.
Harry teases me about the layer of fat on Fair Anne's corn-fed squirrels. They are remarkably better insulated than his au naturel ones.
But until they take over the birdfeeder i don't bother them.

Around here single shot .22 is the accepted squirrel gun, shorts for the yard.... A small scope helps.

I enjoy watching the chipmunks too, until they move into the carport.
They love to eat car wiring harness and hoses. So far i've lost the evaporative emission valve wires, and vacuum lines to cruise control and map sensor. And they will stuff your air cleaner full of leaves, acorns, and insulation ripped from under the hood, .... So the carport is off limits to them.
You need a scope for chipmunks.
But they are welcome to nest under the big rocks on other side of yard.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 pm

I haven't bought .22 ammo in years, either.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:18 pm

analog wrote: When get a freezer full we have fried squirrel dinner with next door neighbor Harry, who's a master at spicing and frying them. A couple minutes in the pressure cooker makes em tender.
Harry teases me about the layer of fat on Fair Anne's corn-fed squirrels. They are remarkably better insulated than his au naturel ones.

Ooooh ! Invite us next time, please! We'll bring dessert ! I'll find a way to get out there, and Altoid would be totally up for squirrel. OT might pass.
Too many new skills to learn to try it here - I'd have to learn to trap or shoot em, then clean em, then cook em. Not gonna happen.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:25 pm

I've got squirrels in the attic but the city won't let me even use a pellet gun to get rid of them. I'll just wait until spring when they'out foraging and board up the hole, again, happen last year. Them suckers chewed right through that 2X4!!
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:04 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:I've got squirrels in the attic but the city won't let me even use a pellet gun to get rid of them. I'll just wait until spring when they'out foraging and board up the hole, again, happen last year. Them suckers chewed right through that 2X4!!

Coyote urine gets 'em out. You can buy it at a garden center.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:03 am

pigaboo wrote:Ooooh ! Invite us next time, please! We'll bring dessert !

Wow - that'd be a real honor!!! I'll tell Harry you're coming. For you we'll clear the gunpowder off his kitchen table !
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Aw shucks! No need to get fancy for us'ns.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:26 am

A friend of mine bought a .38, and he says he can't find ammo available in the area.

I hope this is the result of supply and demand, and not some sinister plot to disarm the public.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:43 am

There was an article in our local newspapaer just a day or two ago about the shortage of ammo. No one seems quite able to pin down the reason, but the article did note that firearms sales are up dramatically...perhaps gun owners (or people wanting to be gun owners) are stocking up in anticipation of a more restrictive gun ownership environment. I only have 3-4 rifles/shotguns (no hand guns) but I'll be darned is I'm going to give them up or register them at this point.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 pm

we had a gunshow in town Saturday, plenty of ammo there but it's HIGH!
I found two delightful antiques- a Colt Woodsman and a Remington Targetmaster, both are .22's .

Now have 4 single shot rifles to restore - one for each grandchild.
Will have to make one of them with a pink stock...

Shap that's the first i've heard of .38 being in short supply.
I found two bricks of .22 in a local store - at three times last year's price.
Couldn't bring myself to pay it.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team