New Commercial Free Stream

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: New Commercial Free Stream

Postby jamiebk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:26 am

Shapley wrote:
jamiebk wrote:I have an icon set up for the stream at home, but I don't think it logs me in as a member (and I don't know if that matters to B.com) They may want to keep track of what memebers log in etc. Anyway, I switch computers a lot and can't do this on each one...so, I have to log in, except for home.

You could copy the address onto a thumb drive, and then link to it from whatever computer you are using at the time.

Wouldn't "remember me" be easier for everyone? People aren't going to carry a thumb drive with them all the time.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:30 am

jamiebk wrote:
Shapley wrote:
jamiebk wrote:I have an icon set up for the stream at home, but I don't think it logs me in as a member (and I don't know if that matters to B.com) They may want to keep track of what memebers log in etc. Anyway, I switch computers a lot and can't do this on each one...so, I have to log in, except for home.

You could copy the address onto a thumb drive, and then link to it from whatever computer you are using at the time.

Wouldn't "remember me" be easier for everyone? People aren't going to carry a thumb drive with them all the time.
Doesn't the 'remember me' merely retain the data as a cookie within the computer? That would not be any use when changing computers.

Sorry to say, but we geeks tend to have thumb drives mounted on our keyrings, so that we do have them with us everywhere but when we shower.... ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:57 am

Doesn't the 'remember me' merely retain the data as a cookie within the computer? That would not be any use when changing computers.

I think that's the way it works :dunce: but at least I'd only have to do it once. While I am on the topic, when I access the BBB through the alternative websites like WCCAM.com or WTMI.com, when I log in, the site keeps "forgetting me" even when I hit the "remember me" box. It works just fine on B.com. Not sure what is happening.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:11 am

jamiebk wrote:While I am on the topic, when I access the BBB through the alternative websites like WCCAM.com or WTMI.com, when I log in, the site keeps "forgetting me" even when I hit the "remember me" box. It works just fine on B.com. Not sure what is happening.

Can't help you there, unless it is the result of an ad-ware removal programme that is deleting the cookies, or preventing their installation in the first place.

I have two ad-ware programmes installed, and scan routinely (one scans daily, the other I manually scan about once a week, since it takes longer). One of them finds the Beethoven.com cookies and deletes them, the other does not. I assume it is a function of how they define "ad-ware"....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:44 am

Commercial Free Stream is silent....

anyone else experiencing this?
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:Commercial Free Stream is silent....

I was in a meeting most of the morning, but it has been working fine since. At least until now. It is 12:19 P.M. CST, and the stream is dead....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:50 am

Shapley wrote:

I was in a meeting most of the morning, but it has been working fine since. At least until now. It is 12:19 P.M. CST, and the stream is dead....

Shapley,
It seems there are intermittent spots where the stream goes silent..
Not sure but it appears to me when B.com goes to a commercial.... or
at the top of an hour... the stream goes silent....

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:08 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:
Shapley wrote:

Shapley,
It seems there are intermittent spots where the stream goes silent..
Not sure but it appears to me when B.com goes to a commercial.... or
at the top of an hour... the stream goes silent....

TM

I've grown used to the fact that the stream will go silent for a minute or more at the top of the hour. It did drop out in the middle of a piece today, for about 20-30 seconds, I believe. It recovered satisfactorily, and has worked uninterrupted since.

They seem to periodically play filler pieces which, I assume, are not heard on the commercial stream. The Chicken Run soundtrack is one of these. They end these abruptly when we return to the regular stream. I've gotten somewhat used to this, but there are times I'd rather head the filler piece than the piece that replaces it. :roll:

I"m sure there are bugs to be worked out, but all in all I'm satisfied that they are doing a great job. It beats the heck out of the Real stream, with all of its' problems....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Yes I know ....

Right now I hear Glinka Russlan & Ludmilla Overture
AND
Edward Scissorhands....
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:Yes I know ....

AND
Edward Scissorhands....

Me too TM...That has happened a couple of times today where there have been double tracks of music playing, Bugs indeed.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:08 pm

jamiebk wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:Yes I know ....

AND
Edward Scissorhands....

Me too TM...That has happened a couple of times today where there have been double tracks of music playing, Bugs indeed.

Jamie,
At least you can listen today!
Regards,
TM
:mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Hey!!!! I picked up my mail today to find a great gift selection from none other than my friends at Beethoven.com! What a nice surprise. I received a cool T-shirt some funky colored pencils and some stencils and other schwag from the station. It's great to be a member of the club...and for anyone not signed up yet, the 128K stream is just the best (T-shirt or not!)

Thanks to everyone at B.Com for the goodies. I'll wear the shirt proudly :victory: :victory:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 am

I received those in the mail, as well. What a nice surprise.

I was afraid they were sending me the Das Boot CD I sent, after giving it the boot... :roll: :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby ScottB » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:28 pm

I hope I can clear this up a little bit. If you are a subscriber to the commercial free stream you will hear filler pieces. So if there is a 2 minute commercial break we have to add music to cover that so you do not hear commercials. You will most defiantly hear music cut and or fade out.

Thanks for listening and supporting Beethoven.com

Scott
ScottB
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Scott,

Thanks. I've grown accustomed to hearing pieces of works at the end of the hour that do not appear on the music log, and assumed them to be 'fillers' used to cover commercial time.

However, we have had occassion in which the music selection which appears on the log, which I assume to mean is part of the regular programme, will cut out. If it remains out for more than a minute or so, most of us will flip on the free stream to see if the station is down, or just the commercial-free stream. Several times the free stream was available when the commercial-free stream was not.

Not to worry, however, as I have not noticed it happening in some time. I assume the bugs had to be worked out of the system, which they now seem to be. I also assume the commercial-free stream runs on different servers than the free stream, so problems beyond your control may be responsible for the infrequent outages.

Keep up the good work, and thanks again!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:55 pm

The commercial free stream went down for about 10 minutes this morning.
It has now been down the past 20 minutes....

anyone else experiencing the same?

I sent the priority help request... hopefully it will be fixed soon.......

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:04 pm

I've been at lunch for the past hour, but it was playing when I left, and is playing now.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Just got back from a meeting... it is working now!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:16 pm

The 128KBPS stream keeps cutting in and out this afternoon...

anyone else experiencing the same problem???
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:56 pm

I've been gone for about an hour. It was working when I left, and it's working okay now. I'll post a note if it starts acting up.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Helping Hand