A great movie

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

A great movie

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 am

"Dude....Where's My Car?"

Does it get any better? I also like "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle."
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Re: A great movie

Postby barfle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Of course it gets better.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space. After all, in space, no one can eat ice cream.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Epic Movie

Never has so much film been so badly wasted.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:52 pm

barfle wrote:Of course it gets better.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space. After all, in space, no one can eat ice cream.

I think I remember that one....didn't it have clowns (who were actually aliens) with spinning noses that exploded and killed their victims? Weird and dark.

I like the mindless and innocent humor of Dude.

Jesse:
Who are you guys, anyway?

Space Alien:
We are not guys, we are hot chicks.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Shapley wrote:Epic Movie

Never has so much film been so badly wasted.

I hadn't heard of this one. Did you see it in the theater ("theatre" for Shapley) or pay to rent it?
I had to google it; sounds bad.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:59 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:I think I remember that one....didn't it have clowns (who were actually aliens) with spinning noses that exploded and killed their victims? Weird and dark.

Close. They were aliens that put people in big cotton candy balls. You could kill them by hitting them in the nose. Their ship looked like a circus tent, and if they threw a pie at you, you would melt. Delightfully sick.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:I had to google it; sounds bad.

'Bad' doesn't do it justice. It was 'terrible', or worse. I saw it in the theatre, to my great shame.

Shortly afterwards, the producers did another 'spoof film' called Meet the Spartans. I didn't waste my money on that one, but those that did said it was equally terrible. There was a time, I think, when parody was made because you wanted to poke fun at something. I believe these are made only because the producers have cheap access to the costumes and the sets, and it gives them a change to cheat off the popularity of the film being spoofed, it has nothing to do with satire, parody, or wit. Someone should deprive them of their studio gate passes, for the sake of humanity.

Future generations may stumble on those films. Do we really want to leave such a legacy?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:20 pm

it has nothing to do with satire, parody, or wit.

Its hard to be witty. Most of the time these movies seem to confuse a comedic possibility with wit. Potentially funny is not the same as funny.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Its hard to be witty. Most of the time these movies seem to confuse a comedic possibility with wit. Potentially funny is not the same as funny.

It's worse than that. They actually take a potentially funny joke and murder it. They begin by telegraphing the joke, so that you know one is coming. Then they tell the joke, badly. Then they repeat the poorly-told joke ad nauseum, after explaining why why the joke is supposed to be funny.

In some of the best comedies, there are little sight gags that you may not catch the first time you see the film, often references to current events or hit movies. The film makers don't dwell on them or even try to attract your attention to them. They just put them in there and expect that their audience will be clever enough to get the joke. Not so, it seems, with the people that create these 'parody' films. They do not want to run the risk of overestimating the intelligence of the audience, so they milk every bit of potential humour until nothing remains but a dehydrated piece of celluloid.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:50 pm

barfle wrote:
Giant Communist Robot wrote:I think I remember that one....didn't it have clowns (who were actually aliens) with spinning noses that exploded and killed their victims? Weird and dark.

Close. They were aliens that put people in big cotton candy balls. You could kill them by hitting them in the nose. Their ship looked like a circus tent, and if they threw a pie at you, you would melt. Delightfully sick.

What goes through people's minds when they make movies like this? It doesn't seem like the kind of movie anyone would really want to make, and it doesn't seem like it has any chance of commercial success. I don't get it.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Why do you know anything about these terrible films? Eh? Got a lot of information there, for something so beneath your notice.

I like George Burns' version of comedy. Dry, but indulgent. Even as a child, it appealed to me.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Why do you know anything about these terrible films? Eh? Got a lot of information there, for something so beneath your notice.

I did see about 10 or 15 minutes of Killer Klowns some number of years ago. Nothing else to it, it could happen to you.

I like George Burns' version of comedy

Jack Benny was another great one.

If I wasn't clear, I did like Dude...Where's my Car? I'm not saying it was a terrible film.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:10 pm

Jessie and Chester have discovered they have tatoos on their backs. One has "dude' and the other "sweet."

Jessie: Dude...what's my tatoo say?
Chester: Sweet...what's my tatoo say?
Jessie: Dude...what's my tatoo say?
Chester: Sweet...what's my tatoo say?

...and so on. Jessie makes a hole in one at miniature golf and wins a lifetime supply of pudding.

I'd say this is a matter of taste. Not everyone will find it funny, but its not poorly done.
Last edited by Giant Communist Robot on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 pm

In case I wasn't clear, I didn't like Epic Movie...

I honestly thought you were joking. I've not seen Dude! Where's my car?, but I've read the reviews and the Wikipedia Entry. I think I'll pass.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:33 pm

From the "critical reception" section of the Wikipedia article:

The BBC Film review gave it 1 star, calling the direction "a lame-brained travesty" and "intensely irritating" and the film as a whole "painfully unamusing"

and then
Any civilization that can produce a movie this stupid probably deserves to be hit by famine and pestilence.

and then
so amateurish and lame that the cast often has that embarrassed look you see on dogs given ridiculous haircuts

and then, and then, AND THEN!!
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:49 pm

I see on IMDB Dude.. was rejected as a Beavis and Butthead movie.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:12 pm

I just keep laughing, because one Sunday at 6 am my college bf got a phone call. When he answered, he was greeted with "Dude, where's my car?".
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Why do you know anything about these terrible films? Eh? Got a lot of information there, for something so beneath your notice.

I like George Burns' version of comedy. Dry, but indulgent. Even as a child, it appealed to me.

Killer Klowns didn't cost much to make, so it may have made money, especially with home video sales (which is where it made some off me). I saw a piece of it on cable many years ago, and I thought the idea was pretty funny. And it is, although you have to be open to it and knock a digit off the front of your IQ. I know it's sophomoric, but every once in a while, it's fun to be a sophomore.

Has anyone seen Porklips Now or Hardware Wars? Both are extremely low-budget ripoffs of the films the titles suggest. Also quite sophomoric, but pretty funny.

Or is that semaphoric? I forget.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:29 am

I saw that Dude... and Harold and Kumar both had scripts written by the same guy. Its their endless absurdity that I enjoy. Structurally, I'd say its an American version of Monty Python. Ponder changing Chester and Jessie to two Brits playing cricket and winning a lifetime supply of spam.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:32 pm

I read the Wiki entry for Killer Klowns from Outer Space and considering
Killer Klowns didn't cost much to make, so it may have made money, especially with home video sales
it makes sense. Now I get it.

Dude....Where's my Car? did make a modest profit at the theaters ("theatres" for Shapley).
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections