Military Motivators

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Military Motivators

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:20 pm

There use to be a military oriented website that posted their spin on the "motivator" posters that are common in many American work places. Some were funny, some were outrageous, many, many were irreverent and many were heart warming.

Here's two that combine my love for dogs, all things G.I. and my disdain for most politicians, plus they make me smile.

I'll post others from time to time as I run across good ones.

This one not really one of the "Military Motivator" series. It's from "I can haz cheeseburgers" a site that Selma will love if she's not already familiar with it. Go visit, you owe yourself a good laugh

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Military Motivators

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:25 pm

To say my sense of humor is perverse would be...understated. :rofl:

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:19 am

Haggis@wk wrote:To say my sense of humor is perverse would be...understated. :rofl:

I like it!
:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm still guilty!!!! :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon May 04, 2009 12:49 pm

When to Worry

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed May 13, 2009 4:42 pm

...and ammo, bring lots of ammo
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri May 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri May 15, 2009 4:40 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by Serenity on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri May 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri May 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Serenity wrote: No one to play soldier now

No one ever "played" soldier.

In his 1945 "Notes on Nationalism", Orwell said, "Those who ‘abjure’ violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf"

Sleep safe tonight because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri May 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Serenity,

You should read the biography of Sargeant Alvin York. He was a man who disliked violence, a conscientious objector. He was also one of our nations greatest heroes. He committed violence when he saw the need for it. With most of his platoon wiped out, he remained level headed. Reportedly, he killed no more men than was necessary to stop the killling. He and a seven soldiers, all that remained of his platoon, captured 132 German soldiers, and marched them back to the American lines.

Pacifism is all well and good, but when the bullets start flying at you, it's a good idea to shoot back.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Sat May 16, 2009 8:47 am

blank!
Last edited by Serenity on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat May 16, 2009 12:29 pm

the Gary Cooper movie about Sgt York is very much worth watching . It shows up on TCM cable channel once a month or so.
While preparing for the role Cooper spent a lot of time with York and tried to portray him as the humble man he had become.
I will read that link to his diary, thank you Ms Serenity.

a.
Last edited by analog on Sat May 16, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Sat May 16, 2009 4:18 pm

Serenity wrote:...but York wrote in his diary that he did not sign the paperwork that his pastor had prepared because he did not agree with his pastor's position and did not consider himself a conscientious objector; see his entry on November 17, 1917.

Quite possible. I've read his story (but not his diary) and seen the movie. It is quite probable that I am mixing his true story with Hollywood revisionism. I recall clearly the movie stating that he was a conscientious objector, but I do not recall the book disputing that. Then again, It's been much longer since I read the book than I saw the film...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Sat May 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Wastin' my time here....effit!
Last edited by Serenity on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun May 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Except when money-changers were in the Temple.

I thought of that story often when I was walking among the souvenir shops in the Buddhist temples of Japan. Inside the temples, I mean, not beside, or in the grounds of.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun May 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Like I said, "Wastin' my time here....F-it".
Last edited by Serenity on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby analog » Mon May 18, 2009 8:46 am

seems to me Jesus was able to peak so softly in part because his Father wielded a mighty big stick. there's this tale about a flood.......

Orwell's collected essays here:
http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell/ ... index.html

from " REFLECTIONS ON GANDHI (1949)"
http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell/ ... art51.html

In his early days Gandhi served as a stretcher-bearer on the British side in the Boer War, and he was prepared to do the same again in the war of 1914-18. Even after he had completely abjured violence he was honest enough to see that in war it is usually necessary to take sides. He did not—indeed, since his whole political life centred round a struggle for national independence, he could not—take the sterile and dishonest line of pretending that in every war both sides are exactly the same and it makes no difference who wins. Nor did he, like most Western pacifists, specialize in avoiding awkward questions......

..But let it be granted that non-violent resistance can be effective against one’s own government, or against an occupying power: even so, how does one put it into practise internationally? Gandhi’s various conflicting statements on the late war seem to show that he felt the difficulty of this. Applied to foreign politics, pacifism either stops being pacifist or becomes appeasement. Moreover the assumption, which served Gandhi so well in dealing with individuals, that all human beings are more or less approachable and will respond to a generous gesture, needs to be seriously questioned. It is not necessarily true, for example, when you are dealing with lunatics. Then the question becomes: Who is sane? Was Hitler sane? And is it not possible for one whole culture to be insane by the standards of another? [emphasis mine - a. ] And, so far as one can gauge the feelings of whole nations, is there any apparent connection between a generous deed and a friendly response? Is gratitude a factor in international politics?

These and kindred questions need discussion, and need it urgently, in the few years left to us before somebody presses the button and the rockets begin to fly. It seems doubtful whether civilization can stand another major war, and it is at least thinkable that the way out lies through non-violence.

a pretty interesting essay.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Next

Return to The Debate Team