Gadgets and other Toys

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Gadgets and other Toys

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:07 pm

I figured we need a thread to discuss all the gadgets that lend fulfillment to our lives.

Today my long suffering, over used 256MB thumb drive died, who knew that orange juice is toxic to flash memory??

Never one to waste any excuse to visit my local Fry's I went there in a flash.

This is what I got

Incredible. 4GB. 1 3/8 in. long. 11 bucks. incredible. I've swallowed pills that were bigger!!

The size might represent a long term problem for fat fingered me. It took several minutes to figure out how to even open it.

11 bucks....

I love toys like these.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Gadgets and other Toys

Postby piqaboo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Nice toy!

Before I went to Germany, I had 0 thumbdrives. Now I have 4. A gift gift here, a gift gift there... and OT only co-opted one of them (the 2 gig one)

I need to find a terabyte external harddrive on sale soooooon (by 17 April).
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:35 pm

piqaboo wrote:Nice toy!

Before I went to Germany, I had 0 thumbdrives. Now I have 4. A gift gift here, a gift gift there... and OT only co-opted one of them (the 2 gig one)

I need to find a terabyte external harddrive on sale soooooon (by 17 April).

Me like: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... lang=en-US
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:53 pm

piqaboo wrote:I need to find a terabyte external harddrive on sale soooooon (by 17 April).

I have the 800GB version of the one in Jamie's link. The software will drive you crazy, It's just a demo version and then they bug you to buy the full version. I'm almost leaning to online back-up, ala Mozy. Does anyone here use a service?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:33 pm

I have the 500MB version myBook at work, and it's not set up to be any sort of automatic anything. I use it to store spares of documents and books I need to never lose, just in case the secretary runs amok and throws away the CDs instead of filing them in the safe.

If you can set it up as a dumb plug-and-play external drive and just drag-and-drop what you need, it'll give you less trouble than if it tries to be helpful and automatic. I hate helpful.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:31 pm

I picked up a 16GB thumb drive for about $30 on Woot one day. Talk about ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag!

I also have a 1TB drive on my home network (two 500GB drives mirrored, so the effective capacity is 500GB), and my computer does a full backup every month and an incremental backup every day.

My music player is a 2GB thumb drive (sorry, couldn't find a link to one similar) that uses a single AAA battery to play into the earbuds I mentioned on another thread last week.

Probably my coolest toy right now is my Oppo DVD player. So far I haven't found an enternainment media that it won't play. It even plays pictures, songs and videos from that 16GB thumb drive through a port on its front panel.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:38 pm

piqaboo wrote:I need to find a terabyte external harddrive on sale soooooon (by 17 April).

This looks like it's the next generation of the network drive I have. If you're halfway competent at sharing folders, you can make this a great backup location for your home network and toss the software they give you. It's an ethernet (cat-5) connection to your router, so it may not be the "external" drive you're looking for, but Western Digital has those as well.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:26 am

Blessed are the pessimists, for they make backups.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:46 am

I used to tell people that I never back up. I only go forward. Then I lost a hard disk.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:17 am

Thankfully at work we have a plethora of network drives - everyone gets a personal drive, which you can request to be bigger (which I recently did after a hard drive crash lost a portion of a couple of weeks worth of work - but not too much...), the department has a shared drive, and had to get a second drive just for the research faculty, and one of our projects has it's own drive. So I'm really getting into making sure stuff is backed up. At home, well, I had a computer die and they recovered most of the stuff on the hard drive, but I haven't done anything to back up again... Got tons of pictures on there since getting the digital camera a little over a year ago. Again, most of these are on Ko**k's website, since it's easy to share that way, but not all. My husband has two 256MB jump drives he uses to backup stuff he's done at work at home, and stuff he's done at home at work. External hard drive for home is on my list of things to get....

I also use a 2GB encrypted drive at work to transfer video files from our schools back here. Amazingly, you can only get about 10-12 ~30 min videos on 2GB - I do data pickup at a small school so that's enough for me (most I've ever had to pick up in a week was 11 videos), but others have had to got to external drives to do weekly pickups. I just like that you plug it in and it looks like there's nothing on there, but you login, and there's everything. Encryption software doesn't take up too much space either.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:19 am

Shapley wrote:Blessed are the pessimists, for they make backups.

That's my husband....he's probably never lost a file....
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:25 am

I back up individual files of importance, but not the whole hard drive. I usually have most of those files at home and work, anyway.

The work computers are backed up daily.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm looking for a 1Tb drive for backups, but I want a fast one that would reside on my network so it is not tied to the fate of one of my computers. Any suggestions?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:37 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:I'm looking for a 1Tb drive for backups, but I want a fast one that would reside on my network so it is not tied to the fate of one of my computers. Any suggestions?

I have a 1TB drive on my network at home, with an ethernet connection to my router and a power cable. It's on even when my computer isn't.

This looks like it's the next generation of my network drive.

One nice thing about it, its OS is in ROM, so it's not subject to getting viruses itself (although it may well back up yours!).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Is it fast?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:19 am

BigJon@Work wrote:Is it fast?

Is 1000Mb/s fast enough? It looks like it's dependent on the network more than anything else.
Click the "Specifications" tab.

Of course, any time you start talking about a Terabyte of data, it's going to take hours to move it, no matter how fast your channel is. My full backups tend to take four or five hours, but I have a lot of music stored on my computer's drive, and I am also making DVDs of many of my old VHS tapes, so there's a LOT of material on my drives.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:41 am

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:38 am

A tech guru told me it is better to have 2x 500gb than 1x 1tb, because sooner or later a drive will fail, and if you have 2 (or more) drives you have that much less to lose per drive.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:45 am

At Amazon Another sale on external hard drives Some up to 4 TB.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:34 am

old picture of the day

Today's picture is from 1956, and shows an IBM hard drive. This unit would be used to store information, not unlike your memory stick, thumb drive, or camera memory card. The hard drive pictured weighed over 1 ton, and was capable of storing 5 Mb or data. For comparison, it would take over 1,000 of these units to store the information held in a modern thumb drive.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections