Hopenchange™

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Hopenchange™

Obama fires Americorps Inspector General who investigated friend:

President Barack Obama says he has lost confidence in the inspector general who investigates AmeriCorps and other national service programs and has told Congress he is removing him from the position.

Obama’s move follows an investigation by IG Gerald Walpin of Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, who is an Obama supporter and former NBA basketball star, into the misuse of federal grants by a nonprofit education group that Johnson headed. . . . The IG found that Johnson, a former all-star point guard for the Phoenix Suns, had used AmeriCorps grants to pay volunteers to engage in school-board political activities, run personal errands for Johnson and even wash his car.


UPDATE: More from Byron York:

I’ve been trying to discover the real reason for Obama’s move, and it’s still not clear. I’m told that it could be a combination of the normal tensions that surround any inspector general’s office, or the president’s desire to get his own people in IG positions, or a dispute over a particular investigation. “Bottom line,” one source wrote, “getting rid of a tough, Republican-appointed IG who has been aggressively going after waste and fraud gives Obama a chance to replace that IG with a more compliant team player.”

I’m also told that a number of inspectors general around the government have been expressing concerns to Congress recently about threats to their independence. . . . Bottom line: The AmeriCorps IG accuses prominent Obama supporter of misusing AmeriCorps grant money. Prominent Obama supporter has to pay back more than $400,000 of that grant money. Obama fires AmeriCorps IG.


Under a Republican President, this would be a HUGE scandal.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Home office

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:38 am

ABC: Key Obama Ally Says President Obama Did Not Follow the Law in IG Firing.

After being briefed today on President Obama’s firing last week of Gerald Walpin, Inspector General of the Corporation for National and Community Service, Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., said the president did not abide by the same law that he co-sponsored – and she wrote – about firing Inspectors General.

“The White House has failed to follow the proper procedure in notifying Congress as to the removal of the Inspector General for the Corporation for National and Community Service,” McCaskill said. “The legislation which was passed last year requires that the president give a reason for the removal.”

McCaskill, a key Obama ally, said that the president’s stated reason for the termination, “’Loss of confidence’ is not a sufficient reason.”


Remember the (made up) furor when Bush fired a few lawyers at DOJ? Never mind that he was totally within his right to do so he was excoriated by opinion pieces, congressional inquiries, etc.

Here we have another example of Obama breaking the law and so far I’ve only heard the cricket.

Stay classy all you hypocrite Liberals.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Home office

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:19 am

Obama’s political play should shock no one.

It’s amusing to watch the Washington political establishment feign shock, now that President Barack Obama’s reform administration has used a clay foot to vigorously kick one inspector general and boot another out the door.

One inspector general foolishly investigated a friend of the president. Another inspector general audited those juicy bonuses given to AIG executives as part of $700 billion federal bailout of the financial industry. . . .

The use of political muscle may be prohibited in the mythic transcendental fairyland where much of the Obama spin originates, sprouting green and lush, like the never-ending fields of primo Hopium.

But our president is from Chicago. Obama’s Media Merlin David Axelrod and chief of staff Rahm Emanuel come right from Chicago Democratic machine boss Mayor Richard Daley. They don’t believe in fairies.

Daley can’t wait to be rid of his own inspector general, David Hoffman, who had the audacity to question why Daley’s nephew received $68 million in city pension funds to invest. The mayor insists he didn’t know anything about it. Nobody with a functioning brain believes the mayor.


It’s the Chicago Way, which doesn’t have much to do with “hope and change,” as the rubes are discovering. Where are all those hypocrites that tried to pretend that Bush broke the law? Here you have ongoing proof that the president is breaking the law almost daily. Like the feminists who ignored Clinton's assault on women they will no longer have any moral authority to question anyone behavior again, hypocrites
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Home office

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Shapley » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:55 am

I'm sure that the Congress will get around to investigating these moves, as soon as they conclude the investigation into the nine attorneys fired by President Bush. Rumour is they may be moving close to impeaching President Bush over those firings, and may begin proceedings to do so as soon as 2011. They will probably begin an investigation into this immediately after the Bush impeachment hearings. :roll:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby dai bread » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:50 pm

By the time these investigations are finished, you'll have President Palin.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair
 
Posts: 3020
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Cambridge, New Zealand

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:03 pm

dai bread wrote:By the time these investigations are finished, you'll have President Palin.

Is NZ accepting immigrants? A musician and a biotech nerd?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair
 
Posts: 7135
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:01 am
Location: Paradise (So. Cal.)

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:16 pm

dai bread wrote:By the time these investigations are finished, you'll have President Palin.


You're just a regular ray of sunshine, aren't you?

;)
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron
 
Posts: 10457
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Paradise with Piq & Altoid, southern California

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Barack Obama during the campaign:

“What George Bush has been trying to do as part of his effort to accumulate more power in the presidency is he’s been saying ‘well I can basically change what Congress passed by attaching a letter saying I don’t agree with this part or I don’t agree with that part,” Obama said last year during a campaign stop. “I’m gonna’ choose to interpret it this way or that way.’ That’s not part of his power. But this is part of the whole theory of George Bush that he can make laws as he’s going along. I disagree with that. I taught the constitution for 10 years. I believe in the constitution, and I will obey the Constitution of the United States.

“We’re not going to use signing statements as a way of doing an end-run around Congress.”


And … expiration date:

The House rebuked President Obama for trying to ignore restrictions to international aid payments, voting overwhelmingly for an amendment forcing the administration to abide by its constraints.

House members approved an amendment by a 429-2 vote to have the Obama administration pressure the World Bank to strengthen labor and environmental standards and require a Treasury Department report on World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) activities. The amendment to a 2010 funding bill for the State Department and foreign operations was proposed by Rep. Kay Granger (R-Texas), but it received broad bipartisan support.

The conditions on World Bank and IMF funding were part of the $106 billion war supplemental bill that was passed last month. Obama, in a statement made as he signed the bill, said that he would ignore the conditions.
They would “interfere with my constitutional authority to conduct foreign relations by directing the Executive to take certain positions in negotiations or discussions with international organizations and foreign governments, or by requiring consultation with the Congress prior to such negotiations or discussions,” Obama said in the signing statement.


Funny how power changes all those lessons Obama taught on constitutional law …

I put this in this thread because I've always considered "signing statements" to be unconstitutional regardless who does it. I'm just comforted by the fact that this guy scammed everyone of you who voted for him and you just don't want to admit it....but you will, eventually :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Home office

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 am

Nice state you got there, Kyl …

As Jake Tapper reports, yesterday, Senator Jon Kyl suggested that not only should Congress refuse to consider a second stimulus package, they should bring the current Porkulus to a halt before it wastes even more money. Rather than make a reasoned argument for their stimulus package, however, the White House threatened to choke Arizona’s federal funds in retaliation:

On This Week with George Stephanopoulos on Sunday, Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., said of the $787 billion stimulus package, “the reality is it hasn’t helped yet. Only about 6.8 percent of the money has actually been spent. What I proposed is, after you complete the contracts that are already committed, the things that are in the pipeline, stop it.”

A day later, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer received letters from Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan and Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar all pointing out the billions headed to Arizona.

Kyl “publicly questioned whether the stimulus is working and stated that he wants to cancel projects that aren’t presently underway,” LaHood wrote to Brewer, a Republican. “I believe the stimulus has been very effective in creating job opportunities throughout the country. However, if you prefer to forfeit the money we are making available to your state, as Senator Kyl suggests, please let me know.”


I guess the Democrats don’t plan to compete for Arizona’s electoral votes in 2012.

I’m not sure if anyone at the White House realizes this quite yet, but all of that money comes from Arizona in the first place — and taxpayers all over the nation. They’re not promising some vast new wealth; they’re promising to return our money back to ourselves, with a hefty chunk of it removed to pay for the bureaucrats that manage it.

This does demonstrate quite nicely the problem with an overreaching federal government, and especially an overreaching executive branch. It sucks money out of the states, and then it plays favorites on returning some percentage to them. That’s not new to the Obama administration, but they seem pretty cavalier about letting their extortion show.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Home office

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:42 am

Fired Inspector General Sues Obama to Get Job Back

Gerald Walpin, who was the inspector general for the Corporation for National and Community Service until President Obama removed him, argues in the lawsuit that the firing broke a 2008 law governing how watchdogs can be dismissed.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Obama gets out of having to testify at some point in this trial. Regardless, this is going to shine some light on Obama’s relationship with the mayor of Sacramento that neither wants.

Obama clearly broke the law when he fired Walpin and unlike the Chrysler creditors, Walpin's is looking for a fight and it appears he won't be intimidated as easliy as the creditors were.

Ironically, Walpin is using the law that Obama sponsored and voted for last year.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Home office

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Shapley » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:57 pm

AIDS Activists Sound Alarm Over Obama Budget

Candidate Obama promised to increase funding to fight AIDS by a billion dollars. As president, Mr. Obama has apparently overlooked this promise in his budget proposal.

With little fanfare, President Bush increased funding to fight AIDS in Africa markedly. It was referred to as a 'pet project' of his, and he has been credited with 'saving millions of lives' through the project. Not bad for a man who, we were told after Hurricane Katrina, doesn't care about black people.

Apparently, getting votes was more important to Mr. Obama than getting results. I say again, President Bush was a class act, and deliverd what he promised. Too bad the follow-up act is such a disappointment.
Last edited by Shapley on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:04 pm

url= http://spectator.org/archives/2009/07/2 ... osed-doors] More on the Inspector-General scandals.:[/url]

Ironically, as Byron York of the Washington Examiner has reported, publicity about scandals at AmeriCorps — especially the taxpayer money misspent by a charity founded by former NBA star Kevin Johnson, an Obama ally who is now the Democratic mayor of Sacramento — was exactly what the administration had hoped to squelch by firing Walpin.

That move has clearly backfired. In addition to the discovery process of a federal lawsuit and the Lieberman-Collins investigation, Walpin’s case is also the subject of a separate inquiry by Sen. Chuck Grassley — the Iowa Republican regarded as the Senate’s patron saint of IGs — as well as an FBI investigation into allegations that someone in Sacramento deleted e-mails relevant to Walpin’s investigation of Johnson’s St. HOPE charity.

Beyond that, Walpin’s dismissal was the first of three similar cases of pressure against IGs, along with the termination of ITC inspector general Judith Gwynne’s contract and the sudden retirement of the Amtrak IG Fred Wiederhold.

Those familiar with the investigations caution against “playing connect-the-dots” with these three distinct cases. However, some informed Republican sources are beginning to call attention to other evidence of a concerted effort to blindfold, muzzle or neuter watchdogs — especially those who dare to growl at Democrats.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Home office

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby jamiebk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Shapley wrote:AIDS Activists Sound Alarm Over Obama Budget

With little fanfare, President Bush increased funding to fight AIDS in Africa markedly. It was referred to as a 'pet project' of his, and he has been credited with 'saving millions of lives' through the project. Not bad for a man who, we were told after Hurricane Katrina, doesn't care about black people.


It had quite a bit of fanfare and was rolled out in one of his addresses to the nation. The AIDS "funding was a trade to stop Africa from sending the yellowcake to Iraq....What a great deal huh?
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:01 am
Location: SF Bay Area - Wine Country

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Shapley » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:09 pm

jamiebk wrote:It had quite a bit of fanfare and was rolled out in one of his addresses to the nation. The AIDS "funding was a trade to stop Africa from sending the yellowcake to Iraq....What a great deal huh?


Must have been a pre-emptive strike. He began increasing the AIDS funding in the 2002 Budget, passed in October of 2001. The CIA first reported that Iraq was attempting to acquire yellowcake a year later, in October 2002.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:35 am

The real push came in February of 2008 when Bush asked congress to double the aid to Africa to $30 BILLION.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:01 am
Location: SF Bay Area - Wine Country

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Shapley » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 am

jamiebk wrote:The real push came in February of 2008 when Bush asked congress to double the aid to Africa to $30 BILLION.


By February of 2008, the yellowcake was a non-issue.. :?

ed: I assume that was the January 2003 State of the Union address you are talking about. However, as I've already noted, the push began in 2001, and continued throughout his presidency. In 2005 he pushed for another increase, long after the war was underway and Saddam was toppled. Also, the AIDS funding was focused on areas far removed from the yellowcake mines. Methinks you're so blinded by your hatred of this honourable man, President Bush, that you are unwilling to give him credit even where it is due.

Bill Frist: President Bush Saved 10 Million Lives

Clinton, Gates Hail Bush AIDS Initiative
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:45 am

Haggis@wk wrote:Nice state you got there, Kyl …

As Jake Tapper reports, yesterday, Senator Jon Kyl suggested that not only should Congress refuse to consider a second stimulus package, they should bring the current Porkulus to a halt before it wastes even more money. Rather than make a reasoned argument for their stimulus package, however, the White House threatened to choke Arizona’s federal funds in retaliation:


I thought it was funny that some members of Congress were already asking for a second stimulus... especially seeing as so little of it has actually been spent yet. An example from my viewpoint: part of the package was funding to NIH which everyone and their brother here at my University, and probably all over the country, applied for. As far as I know, the decisions on who is getting that funding aren't coming out until at least August, maybe later as NIH reviewers were innundated with applications. So, once you have your grant funded, then you start advertising for any new related job positions. Thus, new jobs created by these grants won't exist in most places until September at earliest... I wouldn't be surprised if new job creation from the stimulus bill has barely begun in other sectors, thus, no effect on the economy yet. Do our Congresspeople actually know what's going on...?!? :dunce:

dai bread wrote:By the time these investigations are finished, you'll have President Palin.

PLEASE DON'T SAY THAT!!!!!! :shock: :x
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Shapley wrote:
jamiebk wrote:The real push came in February of 2008 when Bush asked congress to double the aid to Africa to $30 BILLION.


By February of 2008, the yellowcake was a non-issue.. :?

ed: I assume that was the January 2003 State of the Union address you are talking about. However, as I've already noted, the push began in 2001, and continued throughout his presidency. In 2005 he pushed for another increase, long after the war was underway and Saddam was toppled. Also, the AIDS funding was focused on areas far removed from the yellowcake mines. Methinks you're so blinded by your hatred of this honourable man, President Bush, that you are unwilling to give him credit even where it is due.

Bill Frist: President Bush Saved 10 Million Lives

Clinton, Gates Hail Bush AIDS Initiative


All I am saying is that it wasn't out of pure concern and compassion for the African people that led to the funding. There is always a quid pro quo element and if you don't believe that you are simply being naive
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:01 am
Location: SF Bay Area - Wine Country

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:24 pm

jamiebk wrote:
Shapley wrote:
jamiebk wrote:The real push came in February of 2008 when Bush asked congress to double the aid to Africa to $30 BILLION.


By February of 2008, the yellowcake was a non-issue.. :?

ed: I assume that was the January 2003 State of the Union address you are talking about. However, as I've already noted, the push began in 2001, and continued throughout his presidency. In 2005 he pushed for another increase, long after the war was underway and Saddam was toppled. Also, the AIDS funding was focused on areas far removed from the yellowcake mines. Methinks you're so blinded by your hatred of this honourable man, President Bush, that you are unwilling to give him credit even where it is due.

Bill Frist: President Bush Saved 10 Million Lives

Clinton, Gates Hail Bush AIDS Initiative


All I am saying is that it wasn't out of pure concern and compassion for the African people that led to the funding. There is always a quid pro quo element and if you don't believe that you are simply being naive


and since Obama's reneging on his pledge to fund the program the quid pro quo would be...????
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Home office

Re: Hopenchange™

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:56 pm

It's all well and good to support such measures IF we have the money, but $30 BILLION can certainly be put to use here. We simply can't afford it.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:01 am
Location: SF Bay Area - Wine Country

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron