Live Music

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Live Music

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:34 am

Shapley wrote:Sounds exciting. I hate to miss it.

So, traveling to the Bahamas, are you? ;)

Nope, Kansas City the first week of November :-)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:45 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:Nope, Kansas City the first week of November :-)

Kansas City? That's right in my back yard. Well, on my block. Err, Umm, In the general neighborhood. Are you going there for a performance?

One of my old shipmates lives there, as well. He's been bugging me to drop by for coffee. May be that I have a justification to do so, now...
Last edited by Shapley on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:52 am

Here's the link to the Nassu Pops schedule.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Shapley wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:Nope, Kansas City the first week of November :-)

Kansas City? That's right in my back yard. Well, on my block. Err, Umm, In the general neighborhood. Are you going there for a performance?

One of my old shipmates lives there, as well. He's been bugging me to drop by for coffee. May be that I have a justification to do so, now...

Shapley,
I am going on Business.
Flying to Kansas city, MO
then driving to a city called Olathe (been told about 30 minutes from KC.

I will be flying in on 11/2/09 and going home 11/6/09.
Let me know if you are in the area.
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Shapley wrote:Here's the link to the Nassu Pops schedule.

Shapley,
Thanks for posting that.
I have an email with the specific concert on 10/11/09.

Regards,
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:I will be flying in on 11/2/09 and going home 11/6/09.
Let me know if you are in the area.
TM

It's hard to make it mid-week, unless I can schedule a business call. We have a few customers out that way. I had thought you might be doing a weekend concert, which would be do-able. I'll keep an eye on the schedule.

KC is a about 5-6 hours from here.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:33 am

If you've ever wanted cowboy boots, get the Olathe brand. I'm guessing they'll have a retail outlet in their namesake town.
Incredibly comfortable (for cowboy boots).
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 am

OT recorded this for the wedding of a friend.
The accompaniest (IOT's boss at the church) sight-read and improvised as he played.

eyes

I put this in "live music" because a week later, OT surprised me by hauling me up on stage and singing this to me during the church choir talent show.
I was somewhere between :oops: and :rofl:
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Awwwwwww. That's so sweet. :love:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:38 pm

piqaboo wrote:If you've ever wanted cowboy boots, get the Olathe brand. I'm guessing they'll have a retail outlet in their namesake town.
Incredibly comfortable (for cowboy boots).

Piq,
thanks!
I will check it out. will be there for the week so I will have some time on my hands!
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:51 am

The Southeast Missouri Orchestra held its season opener Tuesday Evening, under the baton of Ms. Sara Edgerton. The concert opened with Bach's Triple Harpsichord Concerto in D Minor, which was capably performed. Harpsichord Soloists for the concerto were Gary Miller, Mary Miller, and Maryse Carlin. I enjoyed the performance very much. Typically for our audiences, applause greeted the end of each movement, which I find annoying, as I think it disrupts the work.

The second piece was a short work by Antonin Dvorak, Mein Heim Overture (Opus 62). I was not familiar with this piece, but I though it was well performed. I found the brass a bit overpowering, but brass can be like that, you know. (Sorry, TM)

Following a short intermission, the concert continued with Dvoraks Ninth Symphony. Here, I thought they rather fell apart. The strings performed ably enough, but I detected more than a few ill winds blowing through the piece. Richard Strauss famously said “Never, under any circumstances, look at the brass - it only encourages them.”, yet the conductor kept looking at them. They were well encouraged. I also thought the wind and the brass seemed to be on different schedules. The audience applauded the end of the movement, which was disruptive enough, but then Ms. Edgerton left the podium. She walked off the stage, with no explanation, and disappeared backstage. After a couple of minutes, one of the violinists left, apparently to check on her, but returned seconds later. Ms. Edgerton returned, and stood at the edge of the stage for a few moments, continually looking up to the upper balcony, which I could not see. I gather she had a problem with the lighting or the sound, but I did not detect any change to either following her return. After a few minutes, she returned to the podium and began the second movement.

The typanist in the third movement was too subdued, IMHO. Nearly all recordings I've ever heard of the symphony place a lot of emphasis on the tympani. I guess this could have more to do with engineering of the recording than of the performance itself, however. I also noted that there was only one typanist, so it could be a case of, as Rumsfled puts it "going to war with the army you've got". Perhaps that's all the percussion that was available. I will say that, in the fourth movement, the tympanist seemed to find his voice, as he did a far better job of making his presence known there. Perhaps he took a cue from the brass...

As usual, the crowd gave them a standing ovation, though I suspect the audience was comprised primarly of family and friends of the performers, as I though the performance was undeserving. I've commented before about the overuse of the standing ovation, so I'll not dwell on it here. All in all, I was disappointed with the performance. This was my first time hearing the Ninth live. Methinks I'll stick to recorded performances of it for a while...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:07 am

Shapley wrote:The second piece was a short work by Antonin Dvorak, Mein Heim Overture (Opus 62). I was not familiar with this piece, but I though it was well performed. I found the brass a bit overpowering, but brass can be like that, you know. (Sorry, TM)

I know! :mrgreen:

--------------------------------------------
Following a short intermission, the concert continued with Dvoraks Ninth Symphony. “Never, under any circumstances, look at the brass - it only encourages them.”, yet the conductor kept looking at them. They were well encouraged. I also thought the wind and the brass seemed to be on different schedules.
All in all, I was disappointed with the performance. This was my first time hearing the Ninth live. Methinks I'll stick to recorded performances of it for a while...

Sorry it was a disappointing performance.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:31 am

I have tickets for their next performance, in December. Hopefully, they will have it together by then.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:54 am

Shapley wrote:I have tickets for their next performance, in December. Hopefully, they will have it together by then.

What is on the program?
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:54 am

Paul McCartney's Ecce Cor Meum (Behold My Heart), with which I am not familiar, is the principle piece. The performance will also include Ralph Vaughan Williams' London Symphony and William Walton's Crown Imperial March.

I believe B.com has played selections from Ecce Cor Meum, but I don't recall much about it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 pm

During my holiday in Oz, I went to the Sydney Opera House. Everyone knows the Opera House, from photos if not the real thing, so I wanted to see inside it this time. The choices were "Cosi Fan Tutti", "The Mikado", "The Taming of the Shrew" and a modern drama whose name escapes me. My son, who drums heavy metal, would have died at Mozart, but If you're going to the Opera House you have to go to at least an operetta, so G&S it was.

The Opera House is a very plain building if you take away its roof and the pretentious flight of steps going up to the front door. Inside it is also plain, and elegantly understated if you can call a bright red carpet either elegant or understated. There are at least 30 doors to various parts of various theatres, and I had to ask directions, but we had good seats in the circle. Photography is banned, unfortunately, or I would have filmed the performance.

Performance was by Australian Opera, so the singers were first-rate. I had my doubts about the orchestra at the start of the overture, but either they settled down or I got used to them, because I found no fault with them after that.

The costumes and sets emphasised the Victorian English aspects of the show. For instance, the Gentlemen of Japan enter in authentic-looking Japanese men's kimonos, but carrying black briefcases, wearing bowler hats, and carrying fans that open to show the front page of "The Times". Nankipoo enters on a bicycle. In Victorian England, what else would you wander on? The idea's a bit pretentious at first, but works very well later when he goes away with Yum-Yum seated on the back. Later, the Mikado and Katisha are seated on a large mantlepiece over a Victorian fireplace, with a most ingenious folding staircase to get them to the floor. The Little List is totally Australian, and even includes the surtitles, which then threw a sulk and said "Normal service will be resumed at the end of this song".

All in all, the best "Mikado" I've seen, and one of the best I've heard. Even the heavy metal drummer enjoyed it, and was heard to laugh at the right time in several places. BTW, the Opera Theatre's acoustics are excellent. (The Opera Theatre is one of several theatres in the Opera House). Oh yes, also BTW, the place was full.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:35 am

I'm not really an opera fan, but if I ever get to Oz - that's where I want to go. Thanks for the review dai!

Took the kids to OrKIDStra concert yesterday - Carnival of the Animals. The orchestra was all in Halloween costumes (including one Santa!) - ghost violinist, first violinist with a big sombrero, an octopus...anyway, fun to watch. The conductor came out in a suit and explained that it was a costume - he was a conservative politician...hee, hee. They started out well - whole thing had an animal theme and ended with Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals.
Started with Overture to William Tell - which got Bella dancing, after she stopped putting her hands over her ears - quite loud in the 7th row.
Then Mussorgsky's Ballet of the Little Chicks in their Shells from Pictures at an Exhibition - which Bella recognized from an e-card her grammy sent her.
Then Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (felt for a minute like I was listenting to b.com!)
Then Rimsky-Korsakov's (or Rimsky of course-of course) "Flight of the Bumblebee".
Then one of Elgar's "Enigma Variations" that is about a dog fetching a stick.
Finally Circus Music from The Red Pony by Copland before the Carnival of the Animals.

Both kids seemed pretty engaged for a while - kept telling Bella to imagine whatever animal the music was about. Conductor would describe and have the kids tell him what animal was next and what sound it made. We got about 4 pieces into the Carnival when Bella needed to move - good thing about OrKIDStra - no one minds if you wander about, talk, etc. Back at our seats a few pieces later and Pumpkin is saying he's bored and Bella is telling me she's hungry for the fifth time...so we leave before the end. 45 min is long stretch for something like that for Bella who will be 3 later this month. If it was just Pumpkin, I would have had him stick it out until the end. I think Bella enjoyed it more than Pumpkin. Next one is 'holiday-themed' and they'll be showing the film The Snowman again, with the orchestra doing the music. They both liked that last year. but I think for the other concerts next year, I might just take Bella.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:37 am

oh, yeah - Pumpkin might have stayed if the Carnival had any snake-themed music...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:33 am

Hi Everyone,
Reporting from Kansas City this week. Here on Business...

This past Saturday night we went to a concert
performed y the Mozarteum Orchestra Salzburg led by Ivor Bolton
The Soloist was Cellist Johannes Moser.

Here was the program...

Mozart Marraige of Figaro Overture
Haydn Cello Concerto No. 1 in C Major
Itermission
Schumann Cello Concerto in A Minor
Mozart Symphony No 41

Encore - Mozart Magic Flute Overture
We were in the second row of the orchestra dead center.
The orchestra was excellent! Crisp, Clean, Coordination, Balance.
The 1st French Horn players entrances were smooth as silk.
The oboe and flutes were absoultely beautiful!

Mr. Moser played with such energy in both solo's. We were so close... his facial experssions were intense
and he played both Haydn and Schumann Concerto's with lots of passion.

The Mozart Symphony blew me away. The fullness and richness of the orchestra was amazing.
There were about 6 first violins. 6 second violins, 4violas, 4 cellos, 3 basses....

The acoustics at the Tilles Center are fabulous.
When any member of the orchestra was playing soft....you could here how clean the articulation was...
I guess if they were bad you would have heard bad attacks to the notes as well.

An EXCELLENT performance.

In March It is the London Symphony or London Philharmonic (don;t remember which)
will be coming to perform Beethoven Violin Concerto and Brahms Symphony No. 2.
I will try and get tickets for that performance as well!

Going in December to see the Boston Pops Christmas Concert and
in April Itzak Perlman! I will let you know how those performances went as well!

Back in NY friday night...

Regards,
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Mahlersfifth » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Recent listenings

Canadian Opera Company

Madama Butterfly (beautiful as always)
The Nightingale & Other Short Fables http://www.coc.ca/PerformancesAndTickets/0910Season/TheNightingale.aspx check out photo gallery and the video on this site. It was extraordinary. I was totally gobsmacked (that was for you Haggis) Robert Lepage: genius

Stratford

West Side Story (brilliant production)

Art of Time Ensemble

Abbey Road (This was gobsmacking too) CBC Radio 2 has Concerts on Demand (cod) and this concert was recorded in order to rebroadcast later. It is not up on the website yet but, honestly, I had chills listening and watching I want you . It was fabulous. In fact, on CBC Radio 2 COD is Korngold: Source & Inspiration. Wonderful. I am listening to it now.
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes