Conquerer's of the Ages

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Conquerer's of the Ages

Postby Benji » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:12 am

My ex brother-in-law turned me onto this album back in the early 1960s and I have never forgotten it. It was recorded by Edmund Da Luca and I believe a CD was released sometime in the 1990s. Anyone familiar with it? Anyone got a copy or knows where I can get a copy? It is long out of production and an internet search shows nothing.

Benji
Benji
Section Player

Re: Conquerer's of the Ages

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:29 am

Hello, Benji!

Welcome to the B.com BB!

I'm not familiar with the work. I did see a couple of now-closed auctions of the LP in ebay, and some foreign-language mentions of it, but nothing current.

Here is an image from eBay:

Here is a German-Language Site with track listings:

Edmund DeLuca: Conquerors of the Ages
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Benji » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:56 am

Shapley wrote:Hello, Benji!

Welcome to the B.com BB!

I'm not familiar with the work. I did see a couple of now-closed auctions of the LP in ebay, and some foreign-language mentions of it, but nothing current.

Here is an image from eBay:

Here is a German-Language Site with track listings:

Edmund DeLuca: Conquerors of the Ages

Thanks! Right after I posted this I decided to check on ebay again like I have done numerous times over the past few years and there it was! An LP of it! :crazy: So I bid immediately but after I got through the whole signing in process and paying for it with Paypal I got a warning message that the sale had been voided. Then a few seconds later I got a receipt from Paypal that the sale was complete! I'm wondering if both myself and another person hit the "Buy Now" button at the same time. So, I guess I will see in a few days if I actually get the album. I already have a digital turntable that plugs into any USB port and converts any vinyl recording into a wave file. Works great too!

Benji
Benji
Section Player

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:03 pm

I hope it turns out well for you. I have a turntable that allows the recording of LP's onto CD. I have no idea how well it works, as I have not used it. I intended to use it to record a few of the LP's I have that are not available on CD.

I'll have to break down and try it one of these days.

I did see that a couple of concerti by DeLuca are available on a compilation CD by 101 Strings.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Benji...don't be afraid to contact the "Seller". There is a message feature on eBay for that purpose. Better to straighten it out now if there is any confusion. Good luck.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Benji » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:38 pm

jamiebk wrote:Benji...don't be afraid to contact the "Seller". There is a message feature on eBay for that purpose. Better to straighten it out now if there is any confusion. Good luck.

Jamie,

Good idea! I just emailed them about it. It will probably take until tomorrow (if ever) until hear from them.

Benji
Benji
Section Player

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:08 am

Welcome to the BBB Benji !!!

Post often :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Benji » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:00 am

Benji wrote:
jamiebk wrote:Benji...don't be afraid to contact the "Seller". There is a message feature on eBay for that purpose. Better to straighten it out now if there is any confusion. Good luck.

Jamie,

Good idea! I just emailed them about it. It will probably take until tomorrow (if ever) until hear from them.

Benji

Wow, I got an email from them about an hour later and the album is on its way!!! :crazy:

Benji
Benji
Section Player

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:45 pm

Congrats! That is awesome that you won the bid - it's so exciting! I'll have to check out the album and see if I can find it on Rhapsody.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Benji » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Nicole Marie wrote:Congrats! That is awesome that you won the bid - it's so exciting! I'll have to check out the album and see if I can find it on Rhapsody.

I've been looking for this album for years! It is quite interesting that after numerous times of Googling it and coming up empty handed all of the sudden there it was.

Benji
Benji
Section Player

Postby shostakovich » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Benji wrote:My ex brother-in-law turned me onto this album back in the early 1960s and I have never forgotten it. It was recorded by Edmund Da Luca and I believe a CD was released sometime in the 1990s. Anyone familiar with it? Anyone got a copy or knows where I can get a copy? It is long out of production and an internet search shows nothing.

Benji

Hi Benji. De Luca wrote something called Safari, good "movie music", that came out on a Trans World record (a kin to Somerset, I'm guessing). Conquerors of the Ages is twice as long (2 sides): Alexander the Great, Atilla, Genghis Khan, some Caesars starting with Nero, Cortez, Napoleon, Hitler. It's also good "movie music". You should enjoy it. Would you mind telling us (or me in a PM) how much you paid?
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Benji » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:17 am

shostakovich wrote:
Benji wrote:My ex brother-in-law turned me onto this album back in the early 1960s and I have never forgotten it. It was recorded by Edmund Da Luca and I believe a CD was released sometime in the 1990s. Anyone familiar with it? Anyone got a copy or knows where I can get a copy? It is long out of production and an internet search shows nothing.

Benji

Hi Benji. De Luca wrote something called Safari, good "movie music", that came out on a Trans World record (a kin to Somerset, I'm guessing). Conquerors of the Ages is twice as long (2 sides): Alexander the Great, Atilla, Genghis Khan, some Caesars starting with Nero, Cortez, Napoleon, Hitler. It's also good "movie music". You should enjoy it. Would you mind telling us (or me in a PM) how much you paid?
Shos

Shos,

Believe it or not the album was only $5.00 and shipping was $4.00! The seller said the condition of the album's vinyl surface was in excellent condition but the bottom seam of the album's cover is spit all the way across. It should arrive today. I'm going to make a CD of it.

Ben
Benji
Section Player

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 am

He wrote a handful of concerti. A couple of them were recorded by 101 Strings, and are still available on CD. 101 Strings actually released some memorable LPs at one time, but they are generally equated with 'elevator music'. I'm not familiar with the DeLuca Concerti, I only stumbled on them while Googling for Conquerors of the Ages.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi Benji. Thanks for the information. Let us know if it lives up to your expectations when it comes. Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:01 am

Did the LP arrive?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Benji » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Shapley wrote:Did the LP arrive?

Shapley,

Yes it arrived packaged very well and the album itself is in excellent condition with only one very insignificant scratch that is hardly noticable when the album is played. The seller (KCMusicShop.com) said the album cover had some marks and scratches on the surface of it (which is to be expected with an album that is nearly 50 years old) but again all in all it also is in excellent condition. I've already digitized the album itself and it sounds great so while I was at it, I photographed the album cover and did some Photoshop magic to it also so now I have a beautiful cover for my CD jewel case.

Benji
Benji
Section Player

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Glad to hear that your transaction turned out well. I hope you enjoy the music.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Return to Musical Notes