Best Ever Soundtracks

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Best Ever Soundtracks

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:20 am

I haven't heard any new soundtracks of note lately. I enjoy Tan Dun's works, Hero, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, as well as Shigeru Umebayashi's House of Flying Daggers. I also have the soundtrack to Kung Fu Hustle (one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time), and I enjoy it. It includes some classical music performed in a Chinese style. A fun film and a fun soundtrack.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:35 am

Yeah, I wonder why they didn't pick up the new Batman soundtrack as soon as the movie came out?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Ghostman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:10 am

Shapley wrote:I haven't heard any new soundtracks of note lately...

The Superman Doomsday was good. (IMO) Nicole plays it here and there.
Ghostman
5th Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:12 pm

My kids love the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. They request it every time we drive somewhere. I’ll get ‘em turned to classical yet!
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby anikaboleyn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:35 am

I'll totally pick "The pianist", "The Schindler's list" and "The mission" soundtracks! I just love them... I have lots of favorites but these ones rock!!!
I actually think that Hans Zimmer and Dario Marianelli compose excellent music.
anikaboleyn
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:40 am

Those are all great soundtracks. I'm a fan of Ennio Morricone, and I think The Mission includes some of his best work.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby anikaboleyn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:51 am

Yes,

Ennio Rocks!!! And I forgot to say that Cinema Paradiso is one of my favorites too!
anikaboleyn
5th Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:58 pm

I'm rather impressed by the soundtrack to "Cosmos", which I'm re-watching. The theme is a typically ethereal piece by Vangelis, along the lines of "Chariots of Fire", and there are snippets from, for instance, the 4 Seasons and sundry Mozart works. The Vangelis music fits the series beautifully.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby anikaboleyn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 am

I've never seen that series!!!
What is about?
About the music, Chariots of fire is pretty good!!!
anikaboleyn
5th Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:14 pm

"Cosmos" is a 13-part TV series written and presented by Carl Sagan, who was a serious and well-respected American astronomer. He died in 1996. His interpretation of the word "Cosmos" is very Greek, i.e. Cosmos as against Chaos, so he ranges widely through the history of science in general and astronomy in particular.

He pulls no punches, which is refreshing in a popular science program. Nevertheless, his explanations are clear and well-illustrated, even his excursion into the 4th dimension with the aid of the shadow of a tesseract along with some very flat beings in a very flat world.

The series is illustrated by historical re-enactments (properly staged- no short-cuts), astronomical photos from various telescopes working in visible light, x-rays and radio frequencies, and computer simulations. His simulations of the formation of spiral galaxies are fascinating.

The anti-cold-war attitude of the original moves easily into the current concern about environmental matters. This is particularly so in the episode on Venus.

And then there's the music.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:25 am

dai bread wrote:"Cosmos" is a 13-part TV series written and presented by Carl Sagan, who was a serious and well-respected American astronomer. He died in 1996. His interpretation of the word "Cosmos" is very Greek, i.e. Cosmos as against Chaos, so he ranges widely through the history of science in general and astronomy in particular.

He pulls no punches, which is refreshing in a popular science program. Nevertheless, his explanations are clear and well-illustrated, even his excursion into the 4th dimension with the aid of the shadow of a tesseract along with some very flat beings in a very flat world.

The series is illustrated by historical re-enactments (properly staged- no short-cuts), astronomical photos from various telescopes working in visible light, x-rays and radio frequencies, and computer simulations. His simulations of the formation of spiral galaxies are fascinating.

The anti-cold-war attitude of the original moves easily into the current concern about environmental matters. This is particularly so in the episode on Venus.

And then there's the music.

Cosmos was a superb show and probably my favorite of all time on PBS. I miss Carl Sagan. His knack for communicating complex theories and thoughts was simply amazing. At the time, Cosmos was the most expensive show ever produceed by PBS. If you would like to read his one science fiction book, pick up a copy of "Contact". It was later made into a movie with Jodi Foster. I'd forgotten about the music score for the show. It was very good.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:43 am

dai bread wrote:"Cosmos" is a 13-part TV series written and presented by Carl Sagan.......................... his explanations are clear and well-illustrated, even his excursion into the 4th dimension with the aid of the shadow of a tesseract along with some very flat beings in a very flat world.

Aside from general interest, this ought to be fun to get about the time Altoid dives into "A Wrinkle in Time". :)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Will have to add Cosmos to our list of DVDs to get. Remember seeing it as a kid and really liking it. Pumpkin is really into science - might be too much for him now (he's 6), but would be great to have.

my parents had the soundtrack for the 3 spagetti westerns - Morricone - just love that music!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Nicole Marie