NEO Asteroids

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

NEO Asteroids

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:28 pm

Consider it a warning:

Asteroid blast reveals holes in Earth’s defenses.

“As the US government ponders a strategy to deal with threatening asteroids, a dramatic explosion over Indonesia has underscored how blind we still are to hurtling space rocks. On 8 October an asteroid detonated high in the atmosphere above South Sulawesi, Indonesia, releasing about as much energy as 50,000 tons of TNT, according to a NASA estimate released on Friday. That’s about three times more powerful than the atomic bomb that levelled Hiroshima, making it one of the largest asteroid explosions ever observed.”
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: NEO Asteroids

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:38 pm

...several militant groups have claimed responsibility for the blast. ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:45 am

Shapley wrote:...several militant groups have claimed responsibility for the blast. ;)

Now who would that be....the Cylons or a splinter group of the Imperial Storm Troopers?
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:04 am

"Romulan Jihad" and "al Venutia" are the most likely claimants, but several lesser-known intergalactic terror groups have also claimed credit.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 am

I've never trusted Klingons...not even Warf
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:31 pm

That's a very speciesist statement.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Shapley wrote:"al Venutia"
Wasn't he the govenor of Minanap. Minnasod.....Minapaul..... a wrestler?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:25 pm

No. I think that was Ace Ventura. Or was it Abe Vigoda. I forget...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:26 pm

I think al Venutia was headed by Juan Valdez and his burro Pale. But that's another thread...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby analog » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:49 pm

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/

Close-Approach Tables

Custom tables (updated daily) showing future and past NEO close-approach data, including uncertainties, are available at the link above. More information about the uncertainties used in these tables is available.

had some close ones in January..
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Chilling. 5.3 lunar distances seems too close for comfort. That one's coming in April. What's the margin of error in these tables?
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:15 pm

dai bread wrote:Chilling. 5.3 lunar distances seems too close for comfort. That one's coming in April. What's the margin of error in these tables?

Perhaps I'll start spending my retirement savings now. :rofl:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:51 pm

dai bread wrote:Chilling. 5.3 lunar distances seems too close for comfort. That one's coming in April. What's the margin of error in these tables?

I wish i knew... guess it depends on how close they can resolve an angle , i'd guess the distance is a few percent. All the gravitational tugs on them steer them - it must be a lengthy computer program to figure all that in 3-D.

ANECDOTE ALERT - one evening about sunset in 1989 0r 1990 i had my 4 inch telescope in the front yard showing the neighbors the full moon... we saw something bright approaching the moon from south at a good clip, and it was big enough to be a visible disc.... it crossed the moon on this side.... I was excited to say the least. But the next day's news said nothing so i concluded it had to be a weather balloon, surely a satellite wouldn't show a disc at just thirty power.

Well about a month(? week or two? can't recall) later the news said astronomers had spotted a big previously unknown asteroid that had come close to earth, i think 1.05 lunar orbit units, and was now heading away. They said it had been a close call and they'd missed it coming. Well , if that was what we saw it came a lot closer than they think.

I will always wonder.

a.

UPDATE...

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q2879.html

Did the Earth almost get hit by an asteroid on March 23, 1989?

Sky and Telescope magazine for June 1989 page 592 reports that on March 22-23 there was a near miss which went un notices by strong moonlight but the object was detected 8 days later and cataloged as 1989FC. It was 300 meters in diameter and passed within 690,000 kilometers of the Earth. However, the asteroid was discovered on March 31, 1989 after it had passed the closest point to the Earth. Earth moves 700,000 km in about six hours. The mean distance of Moon from the Earth is 384,404 km.

there's quite a bit about that asteroid on net now. Early estimates ranged as close as 46,000 miles, later ones placed it outside lunar orbit (240Kmiles). So i don't know just how exact is the science.

And i still wonder if we might have seen it.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:07 pm

This is not reassuring

Don Korycansky of the University of California, Santa Cruz, and Catherine Plesko of the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico simulated blowing up asteroids 1 kilometre across. When the speed of dispersal was relatively low, it took only hours for the fragments to coalesce into a new rock.

"The high-speed stuff goes away but the low-speed stuff reassembles [in] 2 to 18 hours," Korycansky says. The simulations were presented (pdf) last week at the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in Houston, Texas.
:shock:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:41 am

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:11 pm

I ducked yesterday.
Apparently we all did, diminishing the earth's diameter sufficiently for those two to miss.
I appreciate y'alls teamwork.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team