Nostalgia.

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby jamiebk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:55 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:Sorry to hear that.
Have you ever tried that Bacon Cheeseburger between the Krispy Kreme Glazed Donut?


Perhaps with a little lard and mayonaise as well??? YUK
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:01 am
Location: SF Bay Area - Wine Country

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:25 am

Krispy Kreme showed up in the Rochester area maybe 5-7 years ago. Then they left about 1-2 years ago. Sister-in-law was sad, but I always liked Dunkin donuts... and they have chai...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby piqaboo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 am

Haggis, while I'm sorry that your area is losing something you enjoyed, I dont 'get' Krispy Kremes.
I rate them the worst donuts I have ever eaten.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair
 
Posts: 7135
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:01 am
Location: Paradise (So. Cal.)

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby jamiebk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:35 pm

piqaboo wrote:Haggis, while I'm sorry that your area is losing something you enjoyed, I dont 'get' Krispy Kremes.
I rate them the worst donuts I have ever eaten.


Have you ever had one "hot" off the production line??? They are addicting.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:01 am
Location: SF Bay Area - Wine Country

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:47 pm

That's the only way I've ever really been able to eat them. Once they get cold, they're just a sticky donut, and you can't reheat them or you have a soggy, sticky donut.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby jamiebk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:13 pm

Shapley wrote:That's the only way I've ever really been able to eat them. Once they get cold, they're just a sticky donut, and you can't reheat them or you have a soggy, sticky donut.


The trick to this: 10 seconds (no more) in the microwave
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:01 am
Location: SF Bay Area - Wine Country

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:40 pm

jamiebk wrote:
piqaboo wrote:Haggis, while I'm sorry that your area is losing something you enjoyed, I dont 'get' Krispy Kremes.
I rate them the worst donuts I have ever eaten.


Have you ever had one "hot" off the production line??? They are addicting.


I first started eating them in the early 60's when I finished my paper route in Ft. Walton Beach. All of the paper boys would gather there and we would get three glazed donuts (freshly made) and coffee for a quarter. They really are only good when you get them within 1/2 hour of being cooked, which is why I only eat ones I buy at the store, sigh.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Home office

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:58 pm

I never "got" Krispy Kremes, either. Perhaps it's that I never had a hot fresh one. To me, they are too sweet and have no other flavors in the profile. Sweet alone doesn't taste all that good.

Now, if glazed buttermilk sinkers were to go away, I'll have to buy a black veil and go into serious mourning. Those things are fabulous.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6273
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:01 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:48 am

jamiebk wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:Sorry to hear that.
Have you ever tried that Bacon Cheeseburger between the Krispy Kreme Glazed Donut?


Perhaps with a little lard and mayonaise as well??? YUK


That would be one trip to the ER.... :crazy:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron
 
Posts: 11557
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:50 am

jamiebk wrote:
piqaboo wrote:Haggis, while I'm sorry that your area is losing something you enjoyed, I dont 'get' Krispy Kremes.
I rate them the worst donuts I have ever eaten.


Have you ever had one "hot" off the production line??? They are addicting.



Yes they are good at that moment! :-)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron
 
Posts: 11557
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:45 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I never "got" Krispy Kremes, either. Perhaps it's that I never had a hot fresh one. To me, they are too sweet and have no other flavors in the profile. Sweet alone doesn't taste all that good.

Now, if glazed buttermilk sinkers were to go away, I'll have to buy a black veil and go into serious mourning. Those things are fabulous.


+1

On all counts.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron
 
Posts: 10457
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Paradise with Piq & Altoid, southern California

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:50 am

jamiebk wrote:
piqaboo wrote:Haggis, while I'm sorry that your area is losing something you enjoyed, I dont 'get' Krispy Kremes.
I rate them the worst donuts I have ever eaten.


Have you ever had one "hot" off the production line??? They are addicting.


Okay, I sense a real debate in the offing here...

Sorry, but to me, one of the measures of a good doughnut is a little more durability than that.

The only KK's I've ever had were out of a box someone brought to some event. They seemed like nothing more than sugar bombs - no discernible flavor. :shrug:

Doughnut Mecca

...and it happens to be not too far from Fat Ivor's...
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron
 
Posts: 10457
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Paradise with Piq & Altoid, southern California

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby jamiebk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:10 am

OK...gauntlet thrown OT. My favorite doughnut, when I eat one (which is about once a year) is the Dunkin' Doughnuts creme filled chocolate glazed one (Boston Creme Doughnut). It's not very good for dunking though and for that I usually get an "Old Fashioned Glazed"...this is a cake-like donughnut with all nooks and crannies properly and generously filled with sugar glaze. Of course there is always the real sugar/grease/carbo-bomb called the "Apple Fritter"...I think that runs around 1000 calories and I could not calculate the % fat.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:01 am
Location: SF Bay Area - Wine Country

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:54 am

jamiebk wrote:OK...gauntlet thrown OT. My favorite doughnut, when I eat one (which is about once a year) is the Dunkin' Doughnuts creme filled chocolate glazed one (Boston Creme Doughnut). It's not very good for dunking though and for that I usually get an "Old Fashioned Glazed"...this is a cake-like donughnut with all nooks and crannies properly and generously filled with sugar glaze. Of course there is always the real sugar/grease/carbo-bomb called the "Apple Fritter"...I think that runs around 1000 calories and I could not calculate the % fat.

Gauntlet? Naah. Nobody reasonable could disagree with those donuts. The custard-fill+chocolate-iced donut is excellent, apple fritter is wonderful, and I think your "Old Fashioned Glazed" might be the identical "Buttermilk Sinker" I so dearly love. Not that I'd turn down either of the others, were they on offer.

On the whole, it's probably a good thing we don't have Donut Delivery trucks running around the board and bringing us tasty, fragrant Arterial Occlusion Generators for comparison and discussion. We'd all have to try one of everything, just to be fair and unbiased in our assessments.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair
 
Posts: 6273
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:01 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:48 am

I almost always get the Old Fashioned Glazed at DD. But even that doesn't compare to fresh donuts at the farm store in October - glazed, powdered sugar, cinnamon powdered sugar or even plain - with some hot mulled cider! They've got a little crunch and perfect cakiness inside. Made with a little cider....ah, perfection! Now that's fall!! Thank goodness you can only get them for about 4-6 weeks each fall or I'd be about 100 pounds heavier. Only made 3 runs this fall (I think I've had 5 in the last month)...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:15 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
jamiebk wrote:OK...gauntlet thrown OT. My favorite doughnut, when I eat one (which is about once a year) is the Dunkin' Doughnuts creme filled chocolate glazed one (Boston Creme Doughnut). It's not very good for dunking though and for that I usually get an "Old Fashioned Glazed"...this is a cake-like donughnut with all nooks and crannies properly and generously filled with sugar glaze. Of course there is always the real sugar/grease/carbo-bomb called the "Apple Fritter"...I think that runs around 1000 calories and I could not calculate the % fat.

Gauntlet? Naah. Nobody reasonable could disagree with those donuts. The custard-fill+chocolate-iced donut is excellent, apple fritter is wonderful, and I think your "Old Fashioned Glazed" might be the identical "Buttermilk Sinker" I so dearly love. Not that I'd turn down either of the others, were they on offer.

On the whole, it's probably a good thing we don't have Donut Delivery trucks running around the board and bringing us tasty, fragrant Arterial Occlusion Generators for comparison and discussion. We'd all have to try one of everything, just to be fair and unbiased in our assessments.


Selma, have you not had a doughnut from Peterson's?! They're very near to your senior SIL. 9th & Escondido Bl, to be precise.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron
 
Posts: 10457
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Paradise with Piq & Altoid, southern California

Re: Nostalgia.

Postby jamiebk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:17 am

Guys...I was down in your neck of the woods over the weekend (visiting wine group friemds in Temecula/Winchester). I tried and tried to get them to Peterson's (after Fat Ivors)...no luck this time either. We were even up at Mt Palomar observatory and were relatively close to those fine establishments. Damn....
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair
 
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:01 am
Location: SF Bay Area - Wine Country

Previous

Return to Musical Notes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot]