California!! It's Another Country!!

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

California!! It's Another Country!!

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:27 am

A CLICKABLE MAP of L.A. pot dispensaries.

“I live in an LA neighborhood in which there are far more weed dispensaries per square mile than Starbuckses. Almost without exception, the ones around here are shady, creepy and not professionally run. My favorite is either the one where the ‘clinic’ is split into two parts, one of which doles out 420, the other Botox and Juvederm injections (same doctor doing the prescriptions for both, apparently). Or, the other one where bikini-clad, hard-eyed Euro-hos jump right out at you in the street, grab you by the arm, and squeal, ‘Hiyeee! Doo yoo vant to get leeegal?’ No: I want to punch you.”
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: California!! It's Another Country!!

Postby jamiebk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:32 am

I am realy glad you are safe and sound there in the "lovely" state of Texas where there is no pot/weed. :roll: :roll:

Personally, I think they ought to legalize it and tax the hell out of it. The state needs the money and the stuff ain't going away any time soon.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:46 am

jamiebk wrote:I am realy glad you are safe and sound there in the "lovely" state of Texas where there is no pot/weed. :roll: :roll:

Personally, I think they ought to legalize it and tax the hell out of it. The state needs the money and the stuff ain't going away any time soon.

At least we don't sell it in downtown Ft. Worth. That would knock the hell out of Billy Bob'sbusiness!!
:rofl:

Ya know, if it was legal then the PC brigade would be arguing against it because it causes cancer
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:48 am

Haggis@wk wrote:causes cancer

What doesn't? And besides, that only applies to smoking it. The brownies are a good alternative. (not to mention vaporizers)
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:10 am

jamiebk wrote:I am realy glad you are safe and sound there in the "lovely" state of Texas where there is no pot/weed. :roll: :roll:

Just to be difficult today... :mrgreen:

"I think they ought to legalize it and tax the hell out of it"

Should those who use it for medicinal purposes also be taxed?

Just stirring the pot here... :)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:27 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:

:lol:
Prescriptions arent, currently.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:37 am

Could I get a prescription if I had a Hang Nail?
Oh it hurts Soooooooo Much..................
:wink:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:49 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:Could I get a prescription if I had a Hang Nail?

It's just about come to that...
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:26 pm

jamiebk wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:Could I get a prescription if I had a Hang Nail?

It's just about come to that...

I'm moving to California :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote: I'm moving to California :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don't forget your passport!! :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:21 pm

In order to help close a budget shortfall, the state of California will increase withholding from paychecks by 10%, in essence forcing every working person in California to make an interest-free loan to the state:
Starting Sunday, cash-strapped California will dig deeper into the pocketbooks of wage earners — holding back 10% more than it already does in state income taxes just as the biggest shopping season of the year kicks into gear.
Technically, it’s not a tax increase, even though it may feel like one when your next paycheck arrives. As part of a bundle of budget patches adopted in the summer, the state is taking more money now in withholding, even though workers’ annual tax bills won’t change.
Think of it as a forced, interest-free loan: You’ll be repaid any extra withholding in April. Those who would receive a refund anyway will receive a larger one, and those who owe taxes will owe less.
But with rising gas costs, depressed home prices and double-digit unemployment, the state’s added reach into residents’ regular paycheck isn’t sitting well with many.

” Technically, it’s not a tax increase” no, technically it’s state sanctioned theft!!

Thank God I no longer live there, this would probably be enough for me to start boiling some tar and checking out feather pillows. I can’t believe the population is going to be very happy with this. I’ll let Jamie, Piq and Selma have the last word on this, but I can’t imagine this happening in Texas.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:04 pm

What am I, chopped liver?! :neener:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 am

OperaTenor wrote:What am I, chopped liver?! :neener:

I didn't think artistes actually had, you know, "jobs"
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 am

Haggis@wk wrote:
OperaTenor wrote:What am I, chopped liver?! :neener:

I didn't think artistes actually had, you know, "jobs"

Well, you'll just have to think again. Aside for the *professional* singing responsibilities, I've had a day job for the past couple of months. The motorcycle industry seems to not have been able to live without me.

:neener:
Last edited by OperaTenor on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:51 pm

piqaboo wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:

:lol:
Prescriptions arent, currently.

They are taxed here in Hawaii, along with Dr. and dentist visits.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:28 pm

jamiebk wrote: I think they ought to legalize it and tax the hell out of it. The state needs the money and the stuff ain't going away any time soon.

Concur. I've thought so for forty years, more or less. Honestly, I think pot is about as dangerous as ethanol - and in both cases, prohibition causes more trouble than users do. I'm not entirely sure that might not be true of many of the other controlled substances.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:00 pm

I would very much like to know what went on in the late 19th and early 20th centuries when all drugs were legal.

I believe opium addiction (via laudanum) was quite common, and Connan Doyle has Sherlock Holmes injecting cocaine as a matter of routine after solving a case.

As far as I know, prohibition of drugs came about in the 1920s, like prohibition of alcohol in the U.S. The prohibition vote here was strongest just after WW1, when it was defeated only by the votes of returning servicemen. It's been a non-starter ever since.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:35 pm

dai bread wrote:I would very much like to know what went on in the late 19th and early 20th centuries when all drugs were legal.

I believe opium addiction (via laudanum) was quite common, and Connan Doyle has Sherlock Holmes injecting cocaine as a matter of routine after solving a case.

As far as I know, prohibition of drugs came about in the 1920s, like prohibition of alcohol in the U.S. The prohibition vote here was strongest just after WW1, when it was defeated only by the votes of returning servicemen. It's been a non-starter ever since.

Dug addiction became serious in the U.S. following the civil war when soldiers were hooked on morphine and other opiates. Hard core drug addiction in the U.S. really reached it's peak in the early 1900s. We can safely estimate that there were between one-quarter and one-half million Americans addicted to narcotics around the turn of the century, comprising at least one percent of the population. Housewives were among the most addicted Americans and most addiction was truly accidental. The concept of “street use” was virtually unknown. The problem was further exacerbated in the late 1800’s when cocaine was touted as a cure for morphine addiction and Bayer introduced “Heroin” as a cure for both.

Bayer’s “Heroin” was legally sold in the U.S. until 1924 and hard narcotics were routinely used in patent medicines without patients/purchasers awareness.

I used to play with empty wooden “Heroin” boxes that my grandfather purchased as a relief for his migraines. I wish I still had those boxes. The last time I saw them was in 1961 when my grandmother died.

The beginning of federal drug enforcement began with the Harrison Anti-narcotic act of 1917, which criminalized the sale and use of dangerous drugs. The act was very controversial as it was one of the first federal laws that regulated how states dealt with narcotics.

The increasing push to prohibit the sale of alcohol kind of rolled into the same push to restrict the use of drugs as entertainment.

The further discovery of other addicting drugs as pharmacology research grew has continued to contribute to the overall problem to where we are today.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:49 pm

My beef with the drug policy began with 'zero tolerance' and the 'war on drugs', which began in the '70s, but were primarily the fault of Ronaldus Maximus (there, I've said it, Ronaldus Maximus did something wrong). Prior to the concept of 'zero tolerance', drug laws were aimed a commerce in drugs, and used the commerce clause to deal with them. Possession of drugs was not illegal unless the quantity was greater than an amount determined by law to be greater than one would be expected to consume for personnal use. We were after the dealers, not the users. In addition, a 'possession' charge actually required one to be caught in possession, and the prohibition against self-incrimination was respected. No forced urinalisis testing, blood testing, or other means was allowed.

The 'War on Drugs' shifted that focus to the user. Prison population began to increase dramatically, such that we had to build more prisons to hold all the users captured. I was not and am not opposed to stopping and testing users who operate motor vehicles on the public roadways, as they are a danger. However, that can be accomplished in the same manner as is done with alcohol. We've lost sight of our goal, and sacrificed our rights in the process. I'm not in favour of drugs, but I think we've gone wrong in our efforts to combat them.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Shapley wrote:My beef with the drug policy began with 'zero tolerance' and the 'war on drugs', which began in the '70s, but were primarily the fault of Ronaldus Maximus (there, I've said it, Ronaldus Maximus did something wrong).

After my cubical neighbor rescuscitated me (so glad she knows CPR), I went looking for the :there there: smiley, to show I understand how that admission must have hurt: but, I cant find it, so here you go: :grouphug:
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Next

Return to The Debate Team