Northwest Flight 253

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Northwest Flight 253

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:02 pm

jamiebk wrote:The "intelligence" on this guy was right on par with the good folks who told us that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. You really can't lay this on Obama alone. Frankly, our intelligence gathering on this and many matters is seriously lacking. So...now...you and I have to consent to being mechanically strip-searched before getting on a airline flight simply because someone can't seem to do their job effectively. In the case of the eunuch-bomber...this guy should not only have been denied this flight...the intelligence community should have had enough on him to set up a 24 hour watch on him. :curse:

I'm not criticizing Obama as much as I'm criticizing the system. I knew we were in trouble when the Bush administration reorganized the intelligence community to be more effective by creating two more additional levels of bureaucracy to "streamline" the system. Plus the FBI and CIA weren't part of the reorganization!!
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Not to mention that they're all now employees of the government, thus adding to the problem discussed in the other thread.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:38 pm

I like your joke above, Jamie. Especially the bit about the Prime Minister's bath. :)
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby analog » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm

So...now...you and I have to consent to being mechanically strip-searched before getting on a airline flight simply because ...

Is profiling still taboo?

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 am

analog wrote:
So...now...you and I have to consent to being mechanically strip-searched before getting on a airline flight simply because ...

Is profiling still taboo?

a.

It never was as far as I am concerned. How else is anyone supposed to analyze and avoid risk? Let's all agree for the sake of arguement that all gang members are dangerous. let's say that all or most gang members wear baggy pants, chains, and have body piercing and tattoos. Let's say that you see such a person walking down a dark alleyway. Would you be wary and perhaps move to the other side of the street...you bet. Is it true that all people who dress like that are gang members? No. Is it worth the chance to "test" that theory? no.

I have just profiled a person who has the potential to cause me harm and I have avoided him/her. That's not wrong and should not be taboo...it is in fact smart.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 am

This is why I am driving to Georgia next week instead of flying.
It will probably be shorter for me to drive since there are no direct flights to my parents location in Augusta from here.....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 am

If we had high-speed rail the trip from New York to Atlanta would take about 4 1/4 hours (Averaging 200 MPH). What will the drive take you, about 17 hours?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Shapley wrote:If we had high-speed rail the trip from New York to Atlanta would take about 4 1/4 hours (Averaging 200 MPH). What will the drive take you, about 17 hours?

Shapley,
The drive takes about 12 hours. My parents are in the NE section of the state.. just about 10 minutes across the S. Carolina border.
I love it when you get to North and South Carolina where the speed limit is posted at 65 and 75
:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:07 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:You can't make this up.... Especially right after NW Flight 253....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34724851/ns ... ?GT1=43001

Now it turns out that the Slovak airport informed Dublin airport about it by TELEX!!.

Who still uses telexes?

No wonder the message sat there unread and unloved, not doubt in some dusty broom cupboard, for three long days before anyone read it.

I believe Telex is reserved for Code Orange alerts. If it had been merely a Code Yellow alert, it would have been sent by steam packet via the Cape of Good Hope.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Shapley wrote:If we had high-speed rail the trip from New York to Atlanta would take about 4 1/4 hours (Averaging 200 MPH). What will the drive take you, about 17 hours?

High speed is not possible even if you had high-speed trains (we don't) simply because a government bureaucracy influenced by congress will establish the stopping points and they will be numerous. Every congressman from states the train will go through will demand multiple stops to show off to his constituents. That's one of the flaw with AMTRAK now and would get worse if you ran it down the eastern seaboard.

In addition, stories like this one doesn't help; half a billion dollars to move an average of 1,300 people a day!!! Please
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:09 pm

That's because it's a government-run system. We need a private rail system. I believe money could be made in it.

However, you are correct about congress meddling with the operations, I would like to say it particularly applies to this congress, although history shows they've all been the same.

Back in the early days of steam train, a law was passed that required any train line running within 50 miles of a county seat to be routed to pass through said county seat. I believe I saw that that law was finally repealed in the 1980s. I believe the repeal came about because some rail line wanted to close the route than ran through the county seat and use the shorter route that bypassed it, but found that doing so was a violation of federal law.

But, there are still businessmen that know how to get things done, and they could get a functional high-speed rail system working if they put their mind to it. They just won't be able to with this bunch in charge. As I said, small men think small thoughts, and when small men run the show, they won't permit the execution of ideas bigger than their own.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:You can't make this up.... Especially right after NW Flight 253....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34724851/ns ... ?GT1=43001

Now it turns out that the Slovak airport informed Dublin airport about it by TELEX!!.

Who still uses telexes?

No wonder the message sat there unread and unloved, not doubt in some dusty broom cupboard, for three long days before anyone read it.

I believe Telex is reserved for Code Orange alerts. If it had been merely a Code Yellow alert, it would have been sent by steam packet via the Cape of Good Hope.

OMG.... I used to be a Telex Operator for ITT back in the early 80's...
That technology is SO OBSOLETE... I can't believe it is still being used today....
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:38 pm

:rofl: :lol: :crazy: :rofl: :lol: :crazy:
How on God's green earth could this man NOT be guilty?

###################################
Not guilty plea for Nigerian bomb suspect

He faces 6 charges, including bid to use ‘weapon of mass destruction’

The Associated Press
updated 12:30 p.m. PT, Fri., Jan. 8, 2010

DETROIT - A not guilty plea was entered on behalf of a 23-year-old Nigerian man Friday to charges that he tried to blow up a packed U.S. Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab said little during a federal court hearing that lasted less than five minutes. The , who wore a white T-shirt, tennis shoes and khaki pants, said "yes" in English when asked if understood the charges against him.

Abdulmutallab was traveling from Amsterdam when he tried to destroy the Northwest Airlines plane carrying nearly 300 people by injecting chemicals into a package of explosives concealed in his underwear, authorities said. The failed attack caused popping sounds and flames that passengers and crew rushed to extinguish.

A grand jury indicted Abdulmutallab on six charges earlier this week. The most severe carries up to life in prison — the attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

During Friday's hearing, Abdulmutallab stood at the podium along with Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathan Tukel and defense attorney Miriam Siefer and answered a few questions from Magistrate Judge Mark A. Randon.

When the judge asked if he had taken any drugs or alcohol in past 24 hours, he answered, "some pain pills." Siefer then said he was competent to understand the proceedings. Abdulmutallab, who is being held at a federal prison in Milan, Michigan, had been treated at a hospital for burns after the attack.

His attorneys then waived the reading of the indictment, and the judge entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

It's routine practice in federal court for the defendant to allow the judge to enter a plea on his behalf rather than say anything himself.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34765656/ns ... _security/
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:43 pm

He was ready to die for his cause. Now, on the advice of his lawyer, he is unwilling even to take a stand for it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:55 pm

A prediction: His trial, like KSM in NYC, is going to be a complete three ring circus.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Well - the defense team will surely submit a lush bill to the federal district.
Maybe they'll email Nigeria to send over THEIR bank account number 'for deposit of funds'....... :rofl:

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:26 am

jamiebk wrote::rofl: :lol: :crazy: :rofl: :lol: :crazy:
How on God's green earth could this man NOT be guilty?

###################################
Not guilty plea for Nigerian bomb suspect

He faces 6 charges, including bid to use ‘weapon of mass destruction’

The Associated Press
updated 12:30 p.m. PT, Fri., Jan. 8, 2010

DETROIT - A not guilty plea was entered on behalf of a 23-year-old Nigerian man Friday to charges that he tried to blow up a packed U.S. Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab said little during a federal court hearing that lasted less than five minutes. The , who wore a white T-shirt, tennis shoes and khaki pants, said "yes" in English when asked if understood the charges against him.

He has been de-programmed.....

Abdulmutallab was traveling from Amsterdam when he tried to destroy the Northwest Airlines plane carrying nearly 300 people by injecting chemicals into a package of explosives concealed in his underwear, authorities said. The failed attack caused popping sounds and flames that passengers and crew rushed to extinguish.

A grand jury indicted Abdulmutallab on six charges earlier this week. The most severe carries up to life in prison — the attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

During Friday's hearing, Abdulmutallab stood at the podium along with Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathan Tukel and defense attorney Miriam Siefer and answered a few questions from Magistrate Judge Mark A. Randon.

When the judge asked if he had taken any drugs or alcohol in past 24 hours, he answered, "some pain pills." Siefer then said he was competent to understand the proceedings. Abdulmutallab, who is being held at a federal prison in Milan, Michigan, had been treated at a hospital for burns after the attack.

His attorneys then waived the reading of the indictment, and the judge entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

It's routine practice in federal court for the defendant to allow the judge to enter a plea on his behalf rather than say anything himself.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34765656/ns ... _security/
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby analog » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:00 am

deprogrammed?
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:03 am

analog wrote:deprogrammed?

Analog,
sorry i was not clear...
what i meant was his attorney pleading innocent... that they un-brainwashed him.
never mind...
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby analog » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 am

oops my bad.....

i was confused by the 'deprogrammed' line appearing inside the 11jan post but not the 08jan.

as i've said elsewhere i'm a bit slow.

sorry,

a. :dunce:
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team