U.S. Shari'a watch

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: U.S. Shari'a watch

Postby jamiebk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:42 am

Shapley wrote:He was, however, respected and honoured at his death, much to the chagrin of those who worked so hard to bring him down, and to those who benefitted from his fall from power.

V/R
Shapley

Reminds me of the kid's ditty that goes,"nobody likes me,everybody hates me, think I'll eat a worm"

The man was found to be actively, knowingly engaged in the cover-up of the century. A witch hunt??? Well, if had acted with the moral conviction you claim him to have, he would not have been involved and would not have been caught, and would not have had to step down.

So, you want me to believe that it's everyone elses fault for finding him out rather than his own for being involved in the first place?? If you believe that then you subscribe to the theory that it's OK to break the law as long as you don't get caught.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Nixon

Postby barfle » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:15 pm

jamiebk wrote:So, you want me to believe that it's everyone elses fault for finding him out rather than his own for being involved in the first place?? If you believe that then you subscribe to the theory that it's OK to break the law as long as you don't get caught.

I'm reminded of what he told David Frost (if memory serves): "If the President does it, then it's not illegal."
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:28 pm

jamiebk wrote:So, you want me to believe that it's everyone elses fault for finding him out rather than his own for being involved in the first place?? If you believe that then you subscribe to the theory that it's OK to break the law as long as you don't get caught.

No, I don't expect you to believe it. Is covering up a political act really "the cover-up of the century"? If so, I would say we enjoyed a pretty crime-free century. My recollection, however, is that there were considerably worse crimes that went unpunished during the same time, many of them 'swept under the rug' by those in high office.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Tapes and transcripts show Nixon's involvement in obstruction of justice. This was enough to kick him out of office. The interesting thing here is his character flaws set everything in motion.

As for the "coverup of the century" hyperbole, does this seem that much more heinous than what other politicians have done? The fact that he was president makes it especially disappointing, but how much worse is obstruction of justice than anything else congressmen have been up to?

I read something once and looked for the source, but can't find it so I will paraphrase: Plato was approached by some citizens and asked to run for office. After some thought he declined on the grounds that a politician is dishonest by definition.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:08 pm

Found it. Encyclopaedia Brittanica 1973 ed.

The reactionaries urged him to enter public life under their auspices....He hoped for better things from the restored democracy, but it finally convinced him that there was no place for a man of conscience in active politics

Not exactly the way I remembered or rephrased it, but close.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:As for the "coverup of the century" hyperbole, does this seem that much more heinous than what other politicians have done?

I did not mean to imply that the crime was so much greater, but rather that the ripples from it were.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 am

New York man Muzzammil Hassan is under arrest for beheading his wife

Hassan founded pro-Islam station Bridges TV five years ago to combat the negative public image of Muslims.

I think it is fair to say that he blew that part of his job.

For those Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck fans I'm sure you will forgive me if I suggest an alternative hedline for this story: "Hassan Chop!"

Iggity Aggity Ooh (eh eh)
Ziggity Zaggity Zoo (ah ah)

Ooh ooh eh,
ee ee eh,

Flippity flappity floo.

Ya think that particular cartoon gets much airtime these days??
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Loved the cartoon. I'd forgotten about that one!
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am

JAMES TARANTO: Man beheads wife. Feminists shrug.

It does seem as though Muslim violence is under reported in the U.S. and groups that normally decry violence against women and children act as if nothing has happened. I don’t mean NOW since they lost all credibility protecting the philanderer in chief, but there are other organizations that still retain some small level of dignity that should be protesting these kinds of crimes.

Exit question: Is Muslim violence against women domestic violence or something else?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:47 am

Not the US but nonetheless:
#######################
Pakistani cleric: Swat deal gives Taliban immunity
By ZARAR KHAN
Associated Press Writer
The Associated Press
updated 7:46 a.m. PT, Tues., April 14, 2009

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's imposition of Islamic law in a cease-fire deal to blunt a gathering Taliban rebellion will protect militants accused of brutal killings from prosecution, a hardline cleric who mediated the deal said Tuesday.

The assertion highlights the dilemma facing Pakistan's beleaguered government as it seeks to halt 18 months of bloodletting in the Swat Valley while convincing the U.S. and other foreign sponsors that it is not capitulating to allies of al-Qaida.

President Asif Ali Zardari approved plans Monday to introduce Islamic law, or Sharia, in a large mountainous portion of the Northwest Frontier Province under mounting domestic pressure on his pro-Western government. Parts of the region, including Swat, are less than 100 miles from the capital, Islamabad.

Defenders of the deal argue it will drain public support for extremists who have hijacked long-standing calls in Swat for reform of Pakistan's snail-paced justice system.

But critics worry that it rewards hard-liners who have beheaded political opponents and burned scores of schools for girls in the name of Islam — and that it will encourage similar demands in other parts of the nuclear-armed country.

Militants in Swat declared a cease-fire in February after the provincial government agreed to introduce Islamic law in the surrounding Malakand division of Pakistan's North West Frontier Province, a largely conservative region which stretches north along the Afghan border for hundreds of miles.

The measure was part of a peace deal brokered by Sufi Muhammad, a white-bearded cleric who led tens of thousands to fight U.S. forces in Afghanistan after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, but later renounced violence.

The terms of the agreement remain murky, fueling concern that it cedes effective control over the region to the private army of Taliban leader Maulana Fazlullah, the cleric's son-in-law. Officials have said radical groups allied with al-Qaida have helped fight security forces in Swat.

Asked Tuesday in a television interview if the new courts would hear complaints from Swat residents about Fazlullah or his followers, Muhammad said they could not.

"We intend to bury the past," Muhammad told the ARY channel, sitting off-screen because he considers photographic or TV images to be against Islam. "Past things will be left behind and we will go for a new life in peace."

Asked if the Taliban would enjoy such immunity, a provincial government minister only pleaded for calm so that peace could take hold.

"Everyone should understand what we have gone through and what kind of hardship people in Swat have suffered," Wajid Ali Khan said. "We can look into any disputes and controversy at some later stage."

After weeks of foot-dragging, Zardari approved the Sharia regulation late Monday only after Parliament voted unanimously to adopt a resolution urging him to sign it.

His apparent reluctance has fueled doubts about whether the pact will hold. Few of the estimated 500,000 people displaced by the fighting have felt confident enough to return.

The resolution also diluted Zardari's personal responsibility for a pact that has drawn fierce criticism from rights groups as well as Pakistan's foreign backers, who are pumping billions of dollars into the country in hopes of stabilizing its pro-Western democracy.

Federal Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said Tuesday that the pact was little more than a tactical maneuver in the country's "long war" with extremists.

"Those people who want to hijack Pakistan and destabilize Pakistan, they used (the demand for speedy justice) as a propaganda tool," Kaira said. "We have taken that idea out of the hand of the exploiters."

He insisted the Sharia legislation would not introduce a version of Islamic law like that introduced by the former Taliban regime in Afghanistan.

"It is a misconception that we are going to enforce Mullahism," he said.

A spokesman for the Taliban said the militants would cooperate. If the law is quickly implemented, "the world will see how much peace and prosperity comes to this region," Muslim Khan said.

Many observers, however, doubt their ambitions end there.

Taliban militants from Swat recently made a violent push into the neighboring Buner region, and Muhammad has repeatedly denounced Pakistan's democratic system as being against Islam — a view shared by the extremist groups blamed for the country's rising violence.

Muhammad said his followers would tour all districts of Malakand, including Buner, to "ensure peace."

He also said the courts would interpret civil rights according to Islamic strictures.

"Women will have full protection and rights under Sharia. They will live a better life — but behind the veil," he said.

___

Associated Press writer Asif Shahzad contributed to this report.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26733978/

My highlight....I only have three things to say: "I divorce you", "I divorce you", "I divorce you". This is full protection and rights???
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:47 pm

From May of 1996 to August of 2006, Philly did not have an officer die by criminal gunfire in the line of duty. That’s a remarkable record for a major city with high crime, and a testament to improved police practices and the universal wearing of bulletproof vests. Since May of 2006, five officers have been killed by guns and two be being rammed by vehicles. Most of these dead officers were targeted.

All of the police forces in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas are now on high alert for “jailhouse jihadi.” These criminals are setting up traps for the police. Some of these vermin would commit a crime, and then hide in the building, waiting for the police to arrive to attack them as soon as they entered the building. Others would confront the police head-on in the street, attacking forward with military-like tactics and weapons, instead of retreating from police displaying weapons as most people would do. Some of these “operations” were carried out by two or three men. The vehicle rammings appear to be opportunistic in that the rammer was already being chased by police for another crime, and saw a police car ahead and chose to ram it full speed.

According to a local investigative reporter, most of these bad actors were jailed prior to the killings. While in jail, they were inducted into a virulent jailhouse hate group that has the outward trappings of Islam. I hesitated to post this here, since I consider it a phony Islam, more akin to joining a gang for protection. These radical “Islamists” make it their mission to kill police when they are let out. They are being taught tactics to make themselves more efficient police killers, such as aiming their weapons above the bulletproof vest. And the record shows that they are effective.

The police have a tough job. They get paid shit wages, but when bad things happen, they are expected to clean up everyone else’s mess. And they are never allowed to be wrong or the harpy citizen’s groups will descend to pluck at their carcasses. I’m not sure why these brave men and women do what they do. While I entertain daydreams of having the authority to pull over that idiot who just ran a red light at high speed, I could never do the day-in, day-out work that police officers do. I’m angry at this attack on the very fabric of our civilization. I sit here in my impotent rage, unable to confront the toxic mixture of religion and hatred that brews in my back yard. What can we do?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Matrix producer plans Muhammad biopic

Producer Barrie Osborne cast Keanu Reeves as the messiah in The Matrix and helped defeat the dark lord Sauron in his record-breaking Lord of the Rings trilogy. Now the Oscar-winning American film-maker is set to embark on his most perilous quest to date: making a big-screen biopic of the prophet Muhammad.

Budgeted at around $150m (£91.5m), the film will chart Muhammad's life and examine his teachings. Osborne told Reuters that he envisages it as "an international epic production aimed at bridging cultures. The film will educate people about the true meaning of Islam".

Osborne's production will reportedly feature English-speaking Muslim actors. It is backed by the Qatar-based production company Alnoor Holdings, who have installed the Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi to oversee all aspects of the shoot. In accordance with Islamic law, the prophet will not actually be depicted on screen.

"The film will shed light on the Prophet's life since before his birth to his death," Ahmed Abdullah Al-Mustafa, Alnoor's chairman, told al-Jazeera. "It will highlight the humanity of Prophet Muhammad."
The as-yet-untitled picture is due to go before the cameras in 2011. It remains to be seen, however, whether it will be beaten to cinemas by another Muhammad-themed drama. Late last year, producer Oscar Zoghbi announced plans to remake The Message, his controversial 1976 drama that sparked a fatal siege by protesters in Washington DC. The new version, entitled The Messenger of Peace, is currently still in development.

I must admit to a lack of confidence that either of these movie will get made. I would hope they would, even if they are less than truthful just to prove that a movie, positive or negative, could be made about Muhammad without a concominment slaughter unleashed across the Muslim world (read “Eurabia”) Although I notice that (apparently) neither will actually portray the prophet...I consider that a bit of a cop out.

I had to laugh when “''The Passion of the Christ,'' “ was portrayed as some brave step Mel Gibson was taking. No so. Christians don’t behead people and blow up markets when you offend them. The guy peeing on the picture of Christ would get a lot more respect from me if he did it to a picture of Muhammad; would you like to give me odds on the chance of that happening? No, I didn’t think so either.

This is a brave move by an industry that’s been more than a little risk adverse over the past decades; I applaud their bravery if they go ahead with either project.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:49 pm

People will die if these films are made...Look at Rushdie. They're still after him. Personally I have zero interest in seeing them (if they are produced). It's not a "boycott"....I am just not interested in the material. Maybe someday....if, something accurate and truthful about the man and religion is put out there. These films (if made) will probably be watered down to be non-offensive and non-controversial.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:10 pm

jamiebk wrote: These films (if made) will probably be watered down to be non-offensive and non-controversial.

Normally I would concur but seeing the row over the cartoons (two Americans traveled to Denmark to kill the cartoonist) I can't believe non-offensive and non-controversial is possible.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:32 pm

I don't know where you could show a film about the prophet - there'd be wackos with HE vests in the line. Somewhere. It's almost a certainty. Maybe it could be aired on the History Channel?

On the other hand, the film could be shown in a few select theaters as bait for the sort of people who carry bombs into theaters? The better to identify and incarcerate them?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:22 pm

This is a post from a friend of mine on another board regarding Google autofill of search terms.

Link to image

If you type in "Judaism" you'll get similar results. After all, you're getting the results of other people's searches, unfiltered and uncensored. They're just reporting what people are looking for.

Now, type in "Islam is" and see what Google suggests...
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Interesting....Islam is.........................apparently no one has "searched" that. Hummmmmmmmmmmm :shock:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Nope. It would seem Google doesn't want to offend any Muslim sensibilities.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby dai bread » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Amazing what a few explosives will do.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team