Who is online?

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Who is online?

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:05 pm

Have a pleasant and broken-glass-free rest of your visit!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby analog » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:11 pm

We're here in NC visiting kids. It just thawed out , made 50 today. Enjoy the balmy weather!

Yep - windshields are pretty tough but.. one of mine developed a big crack near middle the day after it took a rock, over next two weeks crack propagated clear across.

the big chunks of truck tire tread you see along the road are worse, they'll do significant sheet metal damage and have killed motorcyclists. I dislike driving amongst big trucks, won't run alongside one for that reason...

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 am

Shapley wrote:Have a pleasant and broken-glass-free rest of your visit!

Shapley,
Thanks - I will.
Today, we are going to a theatre where they have a HD simulcast of Carmen Live from the Metropolitan Opera in NY.

I was really wiped out yesterday. It had to do with only a few hours sleep. The Hampton Inn I stopped overnight in Petersburg Virginia was nice, clean, courteous service, BUT I could hear everything in the rooms around me. Next time I do a stop over I will try a different Inn.

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:25 am

analog wrote:We're here in NC visiting kids. It just thawed out , made 50 today. Enjoy the balmy weather!

Yep - windshields are pretty tough but.. one of mine developed a big crack near middle the day after it took a rock, over next two weeks crack propagated clear across.

the big chunks of truck tire tread you see along the road are worse, they'll do significant sheet metal damage and have killed motorcyclists. I dislike driving amongst big trucks, won't run alongside one for that reason...

a.

Analog,
We have family in Raleigh. Did not work out for me to stop there this visit.
Been down in the 20's to 30's down here and it was 63 yesterday. Felt like summer! :mrgreen:
I was at a point on I95 where I was passing the trucks (to get away from them) and I heard the little stones being
kicked up.... then WHAM....... a bigger stone clocked the passenger side windshield. UGH... I crossed my fingers
and saw a 1 inch crack. Then it kept getting bigger....going across.....

I keep full glass coverage on my vehicle as this will be the 3rd windshield for this vehichle.
I have the Kick Me put a new windshield sign on my back.
Always seem to have something happen where I need to replace the windshield on my cars....

No one was hurt is the important thing and it is completely replaceable....

Have a good trip yourself!

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:30 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:
analog wrote:We're here in NC visiting kids. It just thawed out , made 50 today. Enjoy the balmy weather!

a.

Analog,
We have family in Raleigh. Did not work out for me to stop there this visit.
Been down in the 20's to 30's down here and it was 63 yesterday. Felt like summer! :mrgreen:
I was at on I95 around Columbia S.C. when I was passing the trucks (to get away from them) and I heard the little stones being kicked up.... then WHAM....... a bigger stone clocked the passenger side windshield. UGH... I crossed my fingers
and saw a 1 inch crack. Then it kept getting bigger....going across.....

I keep full glass coverage on my vehicle as this will be the 3rd windshield for this vehichle.
I have the Kick Me put a new windshield sign on my back.
Always seem to have something happen where I need to replace the windshield on my cars....

No one was hurt is the important thing and it is completely replaceable....

Have a good trip yourself!

Regards,
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:34 pm

T/M

We have a theatre here that does the simulcast, as well. I've been thinking about attending one, but the schedule never seems to work out. I always seem to have something going on days that the have an opera I'd like to see.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Shapley wrote:T/M

We have a theatre here that does the simulcast, as well. I've been thinking about attending one, but the schedule never seems to work out. I always seem to have something going on days that the have an opera I'd like to see.

here is the link.
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/ ... ts_current.

The theatre was packed to my surprise.
Elina Garanca and Roberto Alagna were tremendous!!!

Check out Met Player with this link... looks like you can listen to the performances on demand...
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/ ... n_air.aspx
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby dai bread » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Check out Met Player with this link... looks like you can listen to the performances on demand...

here is the link.

It's promising, though Metplayer crashed after I'd played the excerpt from "The Barber of Seville" twice. Now I must think about paying for it. It's plus 40% for me, plus bank fees. It's still cheap opera, but it's not downloadable, or doesn't seem to be, which means I have to watch it at my computer, not my nice HDTV, and sit on an office chair, not my nice comfortable armchair.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:35 am

dai bread wrote:

here is the link.

It's promising, though Metplayer crashed after I'd played the excerpt from "The Barber of Seville" twice. Now I must think about paying for it. It's plus 40% for me, plus bank fees. It's still cheap opera, but it's not downloadable, or doesn't seem to be, which means I have to watch it at my computer, not my nice HDTV, and sit on an office chair, not my nice comfortable armchair.

sorry to hear that.. I have not tried the service.... and if it causes that many problems... I'll try it , but if it causes more problems than it is worth....

Looked like it would be something pretty good for everyone....
sorry I did not check it out before suggesting it...
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:55 am

The theatre here in town offers a simulcast once a month, I believe, during the season. I've wanted to try one, but I want to see one that I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy. I don't think I can handle Wagner, but Bizet is always pleasant. The did the Magic Flute a couple months ago, I believe, and I wanted to see that, but was out of town. I'll have to keep an eye on the schedule.

A&E television used to do operas, in their entirety, on the weekends. I'm not sure if they still do. You can also rent them, probably through Netflix if you have it, if you want to watch it in the comfort of your living room. I don't have a high-definition television with surround sound, so I haven't tried it.

I dont' watch enough television to justify that kind of expenditure.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Previous

Return to Culture Connections