Rickets

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Rickets

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Vitamin D Update: Internet Generation At Risk Of Rickets.

The condition is linked mainly with extreme poverty and the 19th-century Victorian England of Charles Dickens, and can be easily avoided through a balanced diet and exposure to sunlight. But doctors reported this month that cases of the debilitating disease have once again become “disconcertingly common” in Britain.
“Kids tend to stay indoors more these days and play on their computers instead of enjoying the fresh air,” said Simon Pearce, a professor at Newcastle University in northeast England and lead author of a new study on Vitamin D deficiency.

“This means their vitamin D levels are worse than in previous years,” he said in a press release.
Half of all adults in Britain — especially in the north — have Vitamin D deficiency in winter and spring, with one-in-six having severe deficiency. The condition has been linked to cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, several kinds of cancer and a soft-bone condition in adults called osteomalacia. While the study focused on Britain, the same trend is likely elsewhere in the industrialised world, the researchers suggested.

Fresh air and sunshine are good for you — your grandmother was right!
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Rickets

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Fresh air and sunshine are good for you — your grandmother was right!

...just be sure to wear long sleeves and long pants to keep the ticks away. Oh, and wear your sunscreen...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Twenty minutes of moderate sunshine three times a week is all that is needed for the body to manufacture the Vit D that it needs. Medical science has found this to be much more effective than supplements which are not absorbed with efficiency. Sunscreen is the main culprit in denying the body the ability to absorb the "rays" we need to ensure enough Vit. D.

So, take off your shirt (guys) and enjoy the sun a few times a week if you can.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:12 pm

jamiebk wrote:So, take off your shirt (guys) and enjoy the sun a few times a week if you can.

Why did you limit that to (guys)? ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Shapley wrote:
jamiebk wrote:So, take off your shirt (guys) and enjoy the sun a few times a week if you can.

Why did you limit that to (guys)? ;)

Yeah...good "point(s)"
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:42 pm

The Vitamin D thing is the arguement I use against the sunscreen nazis who say your kid should be lathered up each and everytime they step out the door. I'd only do it in the summer when I knew we'd be out for more than 30 min, and wouldn't bother if we were going outside after dinner. Each of my kids has had a mild sunburn once - both times because sunscreen was wiped/washed off. If we're just going to the store, I'm not going to the trouble to lather them or myself up. On work days I rarely use it at all.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:31 pm

The only time I ever use sunscreen is if I'm going to the beach or otherwise will be out in the sun most of the day. I generally go inside during the hottest part of the day anyway, since I don't have to be outside for any more reason than gardening, unless I go to the aforesaid beach.

Mind you, there is a price to be paid. I buy moisturiser by the litre.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:48 pm

jamiebk wrote: Yeah...good "point(s)"

S'MORK! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:11 pm

Altoid has a british strawberries and cream complexion. Sun that gild's other children fries her. Kid's got freckles on her eyelids.
New school meant newer, gentler but stronger sunscreen: preschool playground had trees. New school playground does not.
Here's hoping the legs are enough surface area for vit D manufacture.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby analog » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Sun that gild's other children fries her.

she's lucky to have such aware parents.

i have same skin genes, grew up in Miami before sunscreen...... Paying the price now.

Long sleeves and hat would be good habits to inculcate.

Interestingly the digital cameras show damaged skin .....

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Our schools commonly require children to have hats, and to wear them when outside. My grandson's school has several shade sails, including one over the sandpit.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 pm

analog wrote:i have same skin genes, grew up in Miami before sunscreen....

Heh. I'm another. I've got a whole bunch of freckles, and a nice doctor who nitrogen-freezes the occasional actinic keratosis. I hate going anywhere near a dermatologist, as there's always some perky young thing who tries to lecture me about the sunscreen I should've used as a child - I'm older than sunscreen - and looks shocked when I remind her that there was a "before". Miserable annoying bunch of mumble mutter mumble...

I have a hat. :cranky:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:54 pm

analog wrote:
Sun that gild's other children fries her.

she's lucky to have such aware parents.

Maybe, but what was I thinking w that stupid misplaced apostrophe?

dai bread wrote:Our schools commonly require children to have hats, and to wear them when outside. My grandson's school has several shade sails, including one over the sandpit.

Dai's grandson's school playground ROCKS. Altoid should be so lucky!
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:59 pm

When I was in the military we were told if we got too sunburned to work we could be chaged and punished through non-judicial punishment. The worst sun burn I ever got was while I was in the military. Me and pre-MRHYN girlfriend went to Panama City for a weekend and I got cooked. When I came back to work I had to wear a long sleeve scratchy nomex flight suit all day. I was miserable for a week. (it seemed like a month) To this day I have never tried again to get a tan even when they were popular.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Sunburned skin is considered as big an infectious agent port of entry hazard as an open cut when working in a biohazard environment.
Labcoats, face shields, gloves, the works.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Return to Culture Connections