Draining the Swamp

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Draining the Swamp

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:46 pm

dai bread wrote:You mean it's not like that already? Didn't you have something called "equality under the law" once?

Sadly, no. Congress has routinely exempted itself from the laws it passes.

And David that's what the second part means; congress would not be permitted to exempt itself from the laws it passes. For instance congress exempted itself from the Civil Rights Act and other equality based laws. Congressional members can discriminate based on sex or race or anything. I used to visit Strom Thurmond's congressional office in the 70's and his administrative staff was all young attractive females all from the state of South Carolina. Congressman Charlie Wilson (The true life inspiration for "Charlie Wilson's War") when asked why his admin staff was all attractive female famously replied "You can teach them to type but you can't teach them to grow tits."

In the monstrous health care bill now being debated Congress exempted itself and isolates their world class health care so they will received the best care while we're relegated to crap health care.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 pm

C-Span Challenges Congress To Open Health-Care Discussions

Citing President Obama's campaign promise to keep the debate open to public scrutiny, C-Span is challenging the Democrat leadership's plans to bypass the usual process and draft the House-Senate reconciliation through closed-door negotiations between House and Senate Democrat leaders and representatives from the White House.

We're a fourth of the way through Mr. Obama's term. When, exactly, does this 'transparency' begin?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:15 pm

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:38 am

Senate Democrats Propose Raising Debt Limit $1.9 Trillion

Such a move would put our debt limit and our GDP at about equal amounts. That's not a good thing. It's clear that they have no intention of draining the swamp, they plan to fill it in with our money...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 am

Obama Administration Steers Lucrative No-Bid Contract for Afghan Work to Dem Donor

The Obama administration this month awarded a $25 million federal contract for work in Afghanistan to a company owned by a prominent Democratic campaign contributor without entertaining competitive bids, Fox News has learned.

I just don't see the swamp water getting any lower...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:00 pm

Shapley wrote:Obama Administration Steers Lucrative No-Bid Contract for Afghan Work to Dem Donor

The Obama administration this month awarded a $25 million federal contract for work in Afghanistan to a company owned by a prominent Democratic campaign contributor without entertaining competitive bids, Fox News has learned.

I just don't see the swamp water getting any lower...

And I don't see much change from the way the Republicans handled similar matters previously.
:roll:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 pm

jamiebk wrote:And I don't see much change from the way the Republicans handled similar matters previously.
:roll:

That's the point. Mr. Obama made a lot of noise about the Bush administration granting 'no bid contracts' in Iraq. I'm sure he'll be happy to explain how these no-bid contracts aren't like those no-bid contracts...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Ohhhhh OK, I get it. You are criticizing Obama not for doing the same things as the Republicans (which was clearly "favoritism" ala Darth Cheney,), but rather because he didn't change the method to "bid". I didn't hear much objection from the Republicans when their cronies were getting the jobs.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 pm

jamiebk wrote:Ohhhhh OK, I get it. You are criticizing Obama not for doing the same things as the Republicans (which was clearly "favoritism" ala Darth Cheney,), but rather because he didn't change the method to "bid". I didn't hear much objection from the Republicans when their cronies were getting the jobs.

The Republicans weren't the ones protesting against it. I'm commenting on the hypocricy, not the contracts. I don't know if the process is valid or not, in this instance. However, by having made so much noise against the process, Mr. Obama makes himself a target when he continues it.

If a run for mayor complaining that the streets aren't being swept, and win, I'd dang well better make sure the streets get swept...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:33 pm

I'd put it in the category of "what goes around, comes around".
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:57 pm

jamiebk wrote:I'd put it in the category of "what goes around, comes around".

I'm lost on that statement. It's more a case of: "The more things change, the more they stay the same", IMHO. Mr. Obama promised change, but he does show any signs that he intends to deliver on that. He was all talk, no action. I expected no less. I thought his supporters expected more, but they dont' seem to be complaining at the lack of it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby analog » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:02 pm

most outfits are smart enough to grease palms on both sides, but here's the best i could find on Checchi:
http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?last=CHECCHI&first=VINCENT

seems true blue.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:04 pm

Looks like he got a pretty good return on his investments...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 am

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_orkXxp0bhEA/S2Rb9jEHdHI/AAAAAAAAaIg/Ou8mLaM2I9s/s1600/100130-pel-024-more2.jpg

I notice that she lists "official business" as the basis for most of this travel. Are they on her staff? Not that it matters, they should cough up the fare and fly commercial like the rest of the common folk they pretend to be. I'm just curious as to what 'official business' justifies these expenses.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 am

Haggis@wk wrote:Pelosi’s Children and Grandchildren Used Military Jets As Private Cross-Country Shuttle Service So They Could Avoid Dealing With the Rabble.

If she had an “R” behind her name there would be demands for her resignation.

I say this is definitely abuse.
IMHO
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:18 am

I was trying to Google the referenced documents to find out how Ms. Pelosi's offspring qualified. I didn't find specific reference to the offspring and offspring of offspring of congresspersons, but I did notice that DOD 4515.13R, which outlines eligibility, was amended in 2007, which would be the first year of Ms. Pelosi's term as speaker. Probably just a coincidence...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby analog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:43 pm

There's small choice in rotten apples.
The Taming of the Shrew, 1. 1
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:53 pm

to me even one time is wrong.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Anyone wanna give me odds on whether the MSM reports any of this??

No, I didn't think so either.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team