Apollo 13

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Apollo 13

Postby BigJon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Shapley wrote:A cannonball is an unguided missile, and they've been hitting targets and sinking ships for hundreds of years.

Huh? Artillery men calculating gravity against relatively immobile targets is in no way analogous to an unguided anti-aircraft missile. Your analogy sucks, as do box formations . . .
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby analog » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:33 pm

1.25 kiloton? What a waste of good plutonium - since you're going to explode a critical mass anyway, go for at least a megaton. Get some bang for that buck.
a. :guns:
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:50 pm

BigJon wrote:Huh? Artillery men calculating gravity against relatively immobile targets is in no way analogous to an unguided anti-aircraft missile. Your analogy sucks, as do box formations . . .

Cannonballs were fired from the pitching decks of moving woodens ships towards the pitching hulls of moving wooden ships some distance away. The calculations made by artillerymen would not be unlike the calculations made by pilots who launch unguided missiles towards moving objects. The speeds would be different, and aircraft can move in three dimensions as opposed to (more or less) only two, but then again, calculators and computers exist to aid in those calculations, which were not available to the artillery crews aboard Napoleonic era sailing ships.

Not to mention that a cannonball requires a direct hit, a nuclear weapon does not.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby DavidS » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:52 pm

....calculators and computers exist to aid in those calculations, which were not available to the artillery crews aboard Napoleonic era sailing ships...

Haven't artillery firing tables been in use since about Newton's times? Not as fast as computers, but pretty accurate.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:01 pm

DavidS wrote:
....calculators and computers exist to aid in those calculations, which were not available to the artillery crews aboard Napoleonic era sailing ships...

Haven't artillery firing tables been in use since about Newton's times? Not as fast as computers, but pretty accurate.

Naval gunfire was always more hope than science. It wasn't until the 70s when we put computers on the battleships' big guns that they had any sort of accuracy and by then the only available targets were on land. Drones and GPS additionally aided the U.S.S. Missouri’s shelling duing the first Gulf War.

That was the most accurate naval gunfire in history; alas it was the epitaph for the 16-inchers. They were done in because of their accuracy. If you can hit a target with that kind of accuracy then why use a 16-inch monster when a 5-inch will do?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Move over, NASA. There's a new kid on the block.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/ne ... _id=108315
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:26 am

NASA could use a little competition. Good luck. Brings back memories of years ago when I used to build and launch rockets with my son. They didn't quite reach space, but he was thrilled just to see them whoosh into the sky.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:03 pm

The launch eventually went successfully after a glitch with a coupling was fixed.

No-one has said who paid for all this, but there's some serious money around if they can afford to fly a helicopter to pick up a $6 part.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Sometimes its cheaper to send the whirlybird than to miss the launch, even if there isnt enough money to pay for the whirlybird.
These launch things are big deals! ;)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:45 pm

Mysterious Spiral UFO Stuns Norwegians

Update: Apparently that has been identfied as an errant Russian Missile, although Russia initially denied that any missile launch.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Obama aims to ax moon mission

India plans manned space mission in 2016

As I've said frequently, man will go into space, the only thing in doubt is whether he will speak any English
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:18 pm

I've been debating for 2 years now whether Altoid should learn Mandarin or Hindi.
I chose Mandarin because it seemed more-differenter than English, tho it was a close thing.
For financial success, it will be one of the indian languages.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby analog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:52 pm

piqaboo wrote:I've been debating for 2 years now whether Altoid should learn Mandarin or Hindi.
I chose Mandarin because it seemed more-differenter than English, tho it was a close thing.

hmmm ....... doesn't 'Siddhartha" translate to 'achieve wealth' ?

a. :)
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:39 am

Haggis@wk wrote:Obama aims to ax moon mission

India plans manned space mission in 2016

As I've said frequently, man will go into space, the only thing in doubt is whether he will speak any English

I think we may all rest assured that any Indian activity in space will be in English.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Yes, I'm sure it will.

Recently I've been wishing we'd named Altoid "Uma".
Its a nice sounding name, short, sweet, goes well w the mandatory middle name,
and means something along the lines of "Energetic being", which tho we didnt know it at the time, would have been perfect.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:34 pm

piqaboo wrote:Yes, I'm sure it will.

Recently I've been wishing we'd named Altoid "Uma".
Its a nice sounding name, short, sweet, goes well w the mandatory middle name,
and means something along the lines of "Energetic being", which tho we didnt know it at the time, would have been perfect.

Dunno Piq, it sounds like a German grammatical device. "A uma is used to separate two guttural stops"
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:02 pm

She'd be good at separating glottal stops.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:53 pm

piqaboo wrote:I've been debating for 2 years now whether Altoid should learn Mandarin or Hindi.

There's an interesting observation. India's population will soon excede China's; they can't all be doctors and engineers and will need manufacturing, too.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:38 pm

Mandarin is probably the better choice. As far as I know, English is still an official language in India and is likely to remain so. In China, English was the language of hairy barbarians, so wasn't common until recently. Bearing in mind the size of the place, I'd say it's still not common.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:51 am

dai bread wrote:Mandarin is probably the better choice. As far as I know, English is still an official language in India and is likely to remain so. In China, English was the language of hairy barbarians, so wasn't common until recently. Bearing in mind the size of the place, I'd say it's still not common.

As far as I know, English is now being taught increasingly widely in Chinese schools; if they have perceived a need for it, maybe it's a matter of time until English becomes more common there.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team