CHOCOLATE!!

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: CHOCOLATE!!

Postby BigJon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:47 pm

[quote="lliam"][/quote]
Hey lliam, haven't heard from you in a while, what have you been up to?
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:26 am

BigJon wrote:
lliam wrote:

Hey lliam, haven't heard from you in a while, what have you been up to?

Hi BigJon, o'h just enjoying my retirement, having said that I've spent the last three months renovating my house from top to bottom.

Haggis, I think that advert was 'Cadburys Mik Tray' the end part of the advert was "All because the Lady loves" :D
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:32 pm

lliam wrote:Haggis, I think that advert was 'Cadburys Mik Tray' the end part of the advert was "All because the Lady loves" :D

That's it. thanks, it was bugging me.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm

dai bread wrote: I gave the Tenors Whittakers chocolate when they were here. It's made in Christchurch, and is tastier and more chocolatey than Cadbury. It has more cocoa mass and its blocks are still the old sizes.

You did indeed, and boy were we grateful! When we filled up half a suitcase w chocolate to bring home, the large bars were almost all Whittakers. The chocolate is better, they still make a hazelnut bar (my personal favorite), and its totally 'local' to NZ.
(We packed a few cadbury's classics not available states-side, as gifts).

We'd never seen nor heard of Whittakers til your gift. The switch from Cadbury's (we were already disappointed in it) saved a good deal of the anticipated pleasure of our trip. :)
I personally ate at least 5 lbs of whittakers on our trip. We bought 1-2 lbs a day, and had 'snack time' in the car every hour.
That let us try a fair sampling of different potato chip flavors, cheeses, and chocolate. It was good.
Quite a luxury for us not to have to worry about the cheese sweating or the chocolate melting in the car too.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 pm

Doesn't Cadbury make Crunchies...???
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:48 pm

American chocolate companies like Hershey's are quite capable of making chocolate like can be found elsewhere. If changes to the recipe incurred any additional cost it probably would be insignifigant if considered by a single bar. They make it that way because they believe we prefer it that way--yet I don't know anyone who says they prefer Hershey's to European chocolate.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Hershey's Special Dark is excellent. I'm no fan of their Milk Chocolate, though I was as a kid.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:38 pm

Penguins anyone?
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:29 am

I've got dark chocolate Hershey's kisses here at my desk - so I can sate the chocolate craving with far fewer calories than buying the nice warm cookies at the little convenience shop in the building. As I get older I definately prefer dark over milk chocolate. I miss the nice warm cookies though....

Had hot chocolate yesterday made with skim milk and Nestle Quik (which I get for my son due to small relative amount of milk in mix, can make with his Lactaid milk). So not a good choice! Luckily I only made myself a half-cup or else I'd have never finished it - only finished it to get warm after playing in snow with the kids. I've been finding dark chocolate hot chocolate mixes - SO much better! Dunkin D's dark hot C is much better than the average hot c.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:27 am

Schmeelkie wrote:Had hot chocolate yesterday made with skim milk and Nestle Quik (which I get for my son due to small relative amount of milk in mix, can make with his Lactaid milk). So not a good choice! Luckily I only made myself a half-cup or else I'd have never finished it - only finished it to get warm after playing in snow with the kids. I've been finding dark chocolate hot chocolate mixes - SO much better! Dunkin D's dark hot C is much better than the average hot c.

Try Land O' Lakes Hot Chocolate. It's absolutely the best! I never go backpacking without it: http://www.landolakes.com/products/Prod ... N=37976872
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Jamie - I LOVE LandOLakes hot C - used to get it at Sam's Club in big packs - 6-8 boxes of different varieties. But, switched to BJ's - saw it there once, but never again, and haven't seen in our local grocery store. Our grocery store prides itself on wide selection, but it's really a wide selection of kinds of food, then low selection of brands, or varieties within brands (eg, Minute Maid frozen OJ disappeared lately, only store brand left...).
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:American chocolate companies like Hershey's are quite capable of making chocolate like can be found elsewhere.

Indeed, Cadbury's sold in the US is made by Hershey's under license and following the recipe of the parent company.
It seems to me the signficant taste difference between british, nz and us cadbury's has to be due to the raw materials.
Milk certainly tastes different in the three countries, and I'm thinking they most likely buy their cocoa beans in different parts of the world too.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:23 pm

There is nothing like a NY Bagel or slice of Pizza....

Must be the water :roll:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Milk certainly tastes different in the three countries

For a long time I've thought this has something to do with it--French and Belgian cows are probably eating clover, for example, instead of Purina Cow Chow.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:08 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:Doesn't Cadbury make Crunchies...???

Indeed they do Trumpetmaster, my Wife and I just love Crunchie. :)
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:I've got dark chocolate Hershey's kisses here at my desk - so I can sate the chocolate craving with far fewer calories than buying the nice warm cookies at the little convenience shop in the building. As I get older I definately prefer dark over milk chocolate. I miss the nice warm cookies though....

Had hot chocolate yesterday made with skim milk and Nestle Quik (which I get for my son due to small relative amount of milk in mix, can make with his Lactaid milk). So not a good choice! Luckily I only made myself a half-cup or else I'd have never finished it - only finished it to get warm after playing in snow with the kids. I've been finding dark chocolate hot chocolate mixes - SO much better! Dunkin D's dark hot C is much better than the average hot c.

I’ve tried different dark chocolate but I always go back to Cadburys Bournville
Cadbury do a Drinking chocolate.
John Cadbury sold tea, coffee, cocoa and drinking chocolate from his grocer shop that he opened in 1824 as a Quaker he thought these drinks were healthier alternatives than alcohol, Quakers believed alcohol was bad for society.
Fry’s where also Quakers and I just adore Fry’s Chocolate Cream - an old favourite - rich chocolate with smooth, creamy fondant centre. And did you know that this is one of the oldest chocolate bars in the world? Amazingly, Fry’s launched it in 1866. How cool is that!
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:23 pm

I like Ritter Sport chocolates a lot. The melt in your mouth very quickly...in fact you have to store them in a cool (not cold) place to prevent them from melting into a pile of goo. They have lots of styles. One with a butter biscuit inside, esspresso crunch, hazlenut, almond, white, plain, dark. The quality is excellent. http://www.ritter-sport.com/#/en_GB/home/
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:26 pm

I like Ritter Sport chocolates a lot. The melt in your mouth very quickly...in fact you have to store them in a cool (not cold) place to prevent them from melting into a pile of goo. They have lots of styles. One with a butter biscuit inside, esspresso crunch, hazlenut, almond, white, plain, dark. The quality is excellent. http://www.ritter-sport.com/#/en_GB/home/
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:12 pm

jamiebk wrote:I like Ritter Sport chocolates a lot. The melt in your mouth very quickly...in fact you have to store them in a cool (not cold) place to prevent them from melting into a pile of goo. They have lots of styles. One with a butter biscuit inside, esspresso crunch, hazlenut, almond, white, plain, dark. The quality is excellent. http://www.ritter-sport.com/#/en_GB/home/

Mmmmmmmmmmm, looks like Chocky Heaven jamiebk . :)
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 am

Well, well, well, what do you know the first double cross by Kraft.

The decision by Cadbury's new owner Kraft to continue with the closure of the Somerdale factory in Keynsham has prompted dismay among workers.

Employees called the decision "utterly despicable" and said they had been deceived by Kraft.

Before its takeover of Cadbury, Kraft had indicated it would keep the factory in Keynsham open.

Cadbury employee Amoree Radford said she was shocked that those earlier commitments had been abandoned.

"I believed Kraft totally," she said. "But they made a fool of me. They are utterly despicable." :x
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections