Olympics!

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Olympics!

Postby jamiebk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Tragic....just tragic. What a horrible way to begin the winter games :shock: :cry:
##########################################################

Report: Luger dies in training-run crash

Kumaritashvili from ex-Soviet republic of Georgia hits steel pole

The Associated Press
updated 12:31 p.m. PT, Fri., Feb. 12, 2010

WHISTLER, British Columbia - A men’s luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia died Friday after a crash during training, an Olympic official with direct knowledge of the situation said. The death cast a shocking pall over the Olympics hours before the Vancouver Games were to open.

The official told The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili’s death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger’s family hadn’t been notified yet.

An official statement is to be released soon.

Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

Rescue workers were at his side within seconds, chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35369187/ ... ic_sports/
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Re: Olympics!

Postby dai bread » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:13 pm

An unpadded steel pole within reach of a luge track? What were the Canadians thinking of?
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:55 pm

The video of the crash is devastating. It's the fastest luge run I've ever seen and the safety issues are just terrible.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Didn't watch the opening Friday night...partially didn't think the kids needed to see coverage of the death...

Did watch some speed skating Saturday (Pumpkin picking the skater with the best color outfit to root for : "go Gold and Black!!"), and biathalon on Sunday with the kids. Bella was sick all weekend and yesterday too, so haven't gotten to see anymore. Hoping to pick some bits up in the evenings the rest of this week. I just like the idea of showing them the different sport and learning a little something new. Like how fresh wet snow is 'slow snow' and doomed the later starting biathaletes to poor finishes (cause they don't start everyone at once).
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:54 pm

BigJon wrote:The video of the crash is devastating. It's the fastest luge run I've ever seen and the safety issues are just terrible.

I agree.
they changed the starting point for the men to the beginning of the womens run..
no padding... the fact that someone could be thrown from the track like that...
gee... if they were building it for that type of speed..
what were they thinking when they built that thing?
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Duuude - luge isn't about safety, it's all about speed. The design team was composed of speed freak optimists.

Meanwhile, over in the coffee room, there was a brief announcement about the only Olympic sport where brooms are allowed. I knew it! I KNEW it! It's that curly thingie with the broomses and the rockses and the frantic ice sweeping! Cool!

(I still suspect that there's some Scots sniggering behind their drinkses, having a high old time watching the city slickers who actually believed them about the rockses and the broomses and the frantic ice sweeping)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:45 am

Curling is showing up all over the place here. A couple of towns are doing curling demos on the canal (also ice hockey tourneys on the canal) - lucky it's stayed cold enough for that. The other day I saw Stephanie Abrams of the weather channel trying it and falling all over the place trying to 'throw' the stone - guess it's harder than it looks!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:52 am

Schmeelkie wrote:Curling is showing up all over the place here. A couple of towns are doing curling demos on the canal (also ice hockey tourneys on the canal) - lucky it's stayed cold enough for that. The other day I saw Stephanie Abrams of the weather channel trying it and falling all over the place trying to 'throw' the stone - guess it's harder than it looks!

It's good with beer...curling is good with beer
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 am

Wasn't Eric Michaels our resident Curler here at B.com?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: the Luge run. While it wasn't widely reported many of the luggers (lugers?) were privately unhappy the track was shortened and pointed out the fatality was based more on lack of skill and experience. I think it was one of the Germans who, when asked what the new changes were like, responded "boring". I'm certainly not qualified to comment either way but I thought the Olympics were supposed to be a challenge for the best athletes.

However, after 6 women fell on the final hill in the downhill, I just heard on the news that it was being shaved down to be less of a jump so maybe some criticism was valid.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:17 pm

jamiebk wrote:
Schmeelkie wrote:Curling is showing up all over the place here. A couple of towns are doing curling demos on the canal (also ice hockey tourneys on the canal) - lucky it's stayed cold enough for that. The other day I saw Stephanie Abrams of the weather channel trying it and falling all over the place trying to 'throw' the stone - guess it's harder than it looks!

It's good with beer...curling is good with beer

Better with Scotch (tradition: it's a good thing) or aquavit. Or better yet, Lutheran Choir Glögg. (1 gal apple cider, heated, 1 quart orange juice, heated, six clove-studded oranges, floating in the pot, 2 fifths vodka, 1 fifth aquavit, dumped in before serving. Beware the tenors.)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:49 am

An accurate line from a friend of a friend: “I heard that Obama just received the Gold Medal at the Olympics for the ‘downhill,’ and how everyone was amazed how someone can go down that fast in such record time . . .” :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:59 am

Haggis@wk wrote:An accurate line from a friend of a friend: “I heard that Obama just received the Gold Medal at the Olympics for the ‘downhill,’ and how everyone was amazed how someone can go down that fast in such record time . . .” :rofl:

:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:09 am

Walked into my office today going, "USA, USA, USA"...had to annoy Canadian officemate after our win in hockey over Canada yesterday. She's a big hockey fan too... 'course, we're not in the medal round yet, so anything could happen. I'm just glad Bode Miller finally got a gold - old man deserves it after 3 Olympics (OK - I've 5 years older than him...). Hee, hee - always think it's funny that anyone in their 30s in the Olympics is pretty much considered old. Husband turned 40 yesterday and says he can still have aspirations for an NFL career (eg, Brett Farve), but chances of being an Olympian are pretty slim. oh yeah, MLB pitcher might be an option too... :lol: Unless he tries curling, or archery for summer games...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:18 am

Yeah...a good night for the US teams. I was thrilled at Bode Miller's gold medal run. What a course! The US had 4 out of the top 11 for that event...not too bad... :mrgreen:

I surely hope we can hold on in hockey. Another Cinderella story in the making???
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:04 pm

I've enjoyed watching the Olympics this week. I'm also delighted not to be stuck with the bill:

As for Vancouver’s municipal government and the taxpayers, the bad news is already in. The immediate Olympic legacy for this city of 580,000 people is a nearly $1 billion debt from bailing out the Olympic Village development. Beyond that, people in Vancouver and British Columbia have already seen cuts in services like education, health care and arts financing from their provincial government, which is stuck with many other Olympics-related costs.

Obama's failure to secure the 2016 summer games is one of the best things that's happened to Chicago lately.

I'm already seeing reports that London 2012 is going to bankrupt London and require a huge bailout by the British taxpayer. Has any Olympics after Atlanta made a profit or broke even?
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:10 pm

I don't think any of the big sporting events have broken even for a very long time. I'm tempted to say "ever", but I'm not sure about older events held when participants weren't so full of themselves. Pre-war, in other words. Atlanta was an exception, and the only one I've ever heard of.

Even the Rugby World Cup, a minority event if ever there was one, is costing us millions through local and central government expenditure. (It's due to be held here next year). According to publicity, 4 billion people will be watching on TV. That's 2/3 of the world's population, including those without electricity, let alone a TV service that wants to broadcast rugby.

We are lied to continually.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:11 am

Hmm. The Ellay Olympics made a profit, or so the organizers and Committee claimed. I'm pretty sure that was in part due to their use of existing facilities here in SoCal. I remember that there were equestrian events at the Del Mar racetrack (thank you, Doug Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, and Bing Crosby), track & field events at one or another of the Bowls in L.A. (The Rose Bowl, if I remember right, was one of them). Seems like avoiding the construction of a whole new small country just for the Olympics is one way to avoid those billions-of-dollars-up-front panic attacks.

Did Vancouver build a whole new setup for the Games, or did they already have facilities that they could just make reservations at?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:07 am

I found this regarding preparations for the 2010 winter games:
#####################################################
Along with construction and upgrades on competition and ceremonies venues for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, a number of other projects are taking place in the city. These include:

The Canada Line: This extension to Vancouver’s SkyTrain rapid transit system is set to be complete and operational by November 2009. The train will take visitors from Vancouver International Airport to downtown Vancouver’s Waterfront Station in about 25 minutes.

The Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre: The expanded Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre is due to be completed in the spring of 2009. The new facility will function as the International Broadcast Centre during the 2010 Winter Games. Afterwards it will contribute to Vancouver’s attractiveness as an international meetings and convention destination.

Downtown Vancouver Live Sites: Planning continues on two downtown Vancouver Live Sites—one at David Lam Park and the other on Georgia Street. During the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, these sites will offer free live entertainment, giant screens broadcasting events and ceremonies as they happen, and the opportunity to mingle with athletes and other visitors from around the world.

Hotel boom: A number of new hotels are joining Vancouver’s skyline in preparation for the 2010 Winter Games. These include the Loden Vancouver (2008), the Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver (2009) and the Fairmont Pacific Rim (2009).

The Sea to Sky Highway: The section of Highway 99 connecting West Vancouver and Whistler is being upgraded in a massive project. The new highway, one of the most scenic in Canada, will reduce driving time between the two communities.
#############################################
All in all they actually spent very little, relying on the basic infrastructure to house the games.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Mahlersfifth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:14 am

Schmeelkie wrote:Walked into my office today going, "USA, USA, USA"...had to annoy Canadian officemate after our win in hockey over Canada yesterday. She's a big hockey fan too... 'course, we're not in the medal round yet, so anything could happen.....

O Canada..... :D
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections