Tsunami

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Tsunami

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Here in Hawaii people in low lying areas have been advised to seek shelter, so I am headed to Starbuck's. I wanted to go to the beach today but now I don't have to, it will come to me. There are long lines at the grocery store--Safeway is having a sale on cinnamon rolls.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Re: Tsunami

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Here in Hawaii people in low lying areas have been advised to seek shelter, so I am headed to Starbuck's. I wanted to go to the beach today but now I don't have to, it will come to me. There are long lines at the grocery store--Safeway is having a sale on cinnamon rolls.

I heard there arre long lines at the gas stations, Starbucks must be mobbed!!! Isn't that "Crisis Center" in a disaster in Paradise? :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:53 pm

On a serious note, our power stations are near the water and we may be without electricity for a several days. I live in the foothills so water damage is not a issue, but without electricity we can't cook and will run out of food eventually. Water is an issue, too. I've got some ready for drinking and a few buckets to use for cleaning ourselves, the toilet, etc. I told the kids to charge up their Nintendo DS's. I've got some books to read.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:On a serious note, our power stations are near the water and we may be without electricity for a several days. I live in the foothills so water damage is not a issue, but without electricity we can't cook and will run out of food eventually. Water is an issue, too. I've got some ready for drinking and a few buckets to use for cleaning ourselves, the toilet, etc. I told the kids to charge up their Nintendo DS's. I've got some books to read.

I was just listening to the radio and they are calling for 3 meters waves in New Zealand. I hope Dai is up on a hill. I have some film my father took of a tsunami in 1946. He said people treated like a lark and many were hurt/killed after going down to the beaches to watch. I'd expect you to have an emergency kit, do you?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Haggis. Cambridge is well inland, so nothing short of an asteroid will cause a wave that will reach me.

Tidal surges of up to a metre have been reported, but there aren't any waves as such. Civil Defence is warning that waves may follow up to 12 hours behind the first surge, so the beaches are still closed and coastal sporting events cancelled. All the big ships have left Auckland Harbour and gone out to sea. I haven't seen anything about the airport, which is as close to sea level as you can get without running seaplanes, and is on the edge of a harbour as well. So is Wellington airport, where they sank an aircraft carrier between two islands to make an airport. (j/k)

The Chileans appear to have escaped relatively lightly compared to the devastation in Haiti. They are obviously better builders, as their earthquake was much stronger.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Chile had the worst earthquake in record about 60 years ago. Thankfully they didn't forget the painful lesson of that one and have built up their cities to be very earthquake resistant. Also the earthquake was centered in the ocean, which limited land damage somewhat.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:25 pm

I was at Monterey CA scuba diving when the strange sets of waves came in. It was thelittle bit of the tsunami that made it here. While it was only a couple of feet, the wave action as I exited the water changed dramatically. It was only afterward that I found out that it was indeed the Tsunami...or what was left of it.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:19 pm

jamiebk wrote:I was at Monterey CA scuba diving when the strange sets of waves came in. It was thelittle bit of the tsunami that made it here. While it was only a couple of feet, the wave action as I exited the water changed dramatically. It was only afterward that I found out that it was indeed the Tsunami...or what was left of it.

There was a story following the Boxing Day Tsunami of a pair of divers who were underwater when the Tsunami passed them by but apparently took their boat quite a distance away.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
jamiebk wrote:I was at Monterey CA scuba diving when the strange sets of waves came in. It was thelittle bit of the tsunami that made it here. While it was only a couple of feet, the wave action as I exited the water changed dramatically. It was only afterward that I found out that it was indeed the Tsunami...or what was left of it.

There was a story following the Boxing Day Tsunami of a pair of divers who were underwater when the Tsunami passed them by but apparently took their boat quite a distance away.

Yeah Haggis, it could do that. The effect is quite different topside -vs- under the water. No matter what the wave, there is still a strong swell. It also matters how far you are from shore which is where the breaking wave hits.

I have to say, it was really strange to see the 2-4 "sets" of waves come in. I could see the swells approaching and the effect of them hitting the shoreline was quite pronounced compared to the wave conditions preceeding and following the event. It was not severe, but we would not have been able to negotiate a shore exit while the waves were hitting, even though they were only a few feet. They were very strong "breakers" with a heavy curling action that kind of sucked your feet out from under you. I was on shore as it happened, awaiting the other divers who were still surface swimming in. I could see them rolling over the swells.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Return to Culture Connections