Air force

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Air force

Postby casandara » Thu May 06, 2010 5:46 am

What are good jobs to choose when join the air force that will transfer well into a good career in civilian? I am joining the Air force in the spring/summer of 08 . I need some advice on A.)how to get your recruiter to put in writing a guarantee on the job you want. and B.) What are a list of good jobs that will transfer into a good career once out of the military? I already have my BA degree, in psychology and while I am in the air force I plan on going to school to get my masters , hopefully to aid what I am doing in the air force. My hope in joining the air force is to gain knowledge in a skill that will be able to transfer into civilian life after 3 or so years. I have a family that is depending on my plans so any suggestions on how to go about joining and things to know while in the air force as well as WHAT a good job is would be very helpful! thanks in advance.
Last edited by casandara on Sun May 16, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
casandara
Section Player

Re: Air force

Postby Shapley » Thu May 06, 2010 7:45 am

Hello, Cassandra, and welcome back.

Recruiters can't guarantee much, because the military has a clause that allows them to shift your training as their needs require.

Haggis is our Air Force man, so I'll let him answer more. I was in the Navy, and I knew a few people that had 'guarantees' that didn't quite pan out.

Since you have a degree, you should be eliglibe for their officer programmes. You may want to talk to an officer candidate programme recruiter.

Good luck!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu May 06, 2010 11:51 am

casandara wrote:What are good jobs to choose when join the air force that will transfer well into a good career in civilian? I am joining the Air force in the spring/summer of 08 . I need some advice on A.)how to get your recruiter to put in writing a guarantee on the job you want. and B.) What are a list of good jobs that will transfer into a good career once out of the military? I already have my BA degree, in psychology and while I am in the air force I plan on going to school to get my masters , hopefully to aid what I am doing in the air force. My hope in joining the air force is to gain knowledge in a skill that will be able to transfer into civilian life after 3 or so years. I have a family that is depending on my plans so any suggestions on how to go about joining and things to know while in the air force as well as WHAT a good job is would be very helpful! thanks in advance.

You need to spell out some of the specifics. Are you going in as a an officer or enlisted? I would have thought the psychology BA would steer you towards a medical job. It's been a few years (1995) but when I retired proplr who worked as Allergy Technicians were in high demand since the military had (at the time) the only school that taught (and certified? can't recall) allergy procedures. Physicians that practices allergy medicine wanted to hire ready educated technician.

Let me know as much as you feel comfortable with where you are in your enlistment.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu May 06, 2010 4:22 pm

casandra wrote:I am joining the Air force in the spring/summer of 08 .

That's gonna be tough. It's '10 now. Not gonna be '08 for another 98 years.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu May 06, 2010 4:43 pm

piqaboo wrote:
casandra wrote:I am joining the Air force in the spring/summer of 08 .

That's gonna be tough. It's '10 now. Not gonna be '08 for another 98 years.

Interesting. I didn't catch that. When she posted her in September '09, she was 'thinking about going in'.

BigJon had this to say at the time:

Casandra was a spammer, (observe, but don't click, the links in her sig.) doubt she'll be back. You guys need to tune your radar.

There are no links in her sig line this time, although they still exist in the old one. Maybe my radar is in need of a calibration...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri May 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Oops.....SHAPLEY!! Explain yourself!!!! while I slink away and pretend it never happened
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri May 07, 2010 12:52 pm

:oops:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon » Sat May 08, 2010 12:36 am

Yep, I'm perplexed by the lack of spam in this one. Mebee an admin caught on and edited it.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Return to Culture Connections