Live Music

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Live Music

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Tomorrow night:

"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Mahlersfifth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:07 pm

The Art of Time Ensemble's fabulous concert Abbey Road is finally posted to CBC's concerts on demand. It really is wonderful. http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20090927abbey

And COC's Madama Butterfly is also available to listen to http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20091103madam
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:24 pm

I attended the Southeast Missouri State University Orchestra's performance Tuesdsay Evening. This was their second performance of the season, and I have to say they were much improved over the first.

The performance began with William Walton's Crown Imperial March, which was capably performed.

The second piece was the first movement of Ralph Vaughan Williams' London Symphony. It was performed well enough, but I've never been a fan of Vaughan Williams' symphonies. The movement strikes me as a series of themes strung together without coherence, much like John Williams' end credits to his film music.

The final piece was Paul McCartney's Ecce Cor Meum (Behold My Heart). The piece was written in five movements, but this performance used an abbreviated three movement version. It is primarily a choral work, and the orchestra was joined by the combined Chorus and Choral Union of Southeast Missour State University, as well as the the Jackson North Elementary Children’s Choir from neighboring Jackson, Missouri. It was well performed.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 am

Went to the holiday OrKIDStra concert yesterday. My dad joined us - he and my mom are becoming regulars at the RPO concerts - I'm quite jealous... really need to get on the babysitter finding thing...

Anyway, they started with Winter Wonderland, then did a Hanukah arrangement by our Pops conductor Jeff Tyzik (it got Bella dancing for a bit), then another winter piece (I'm blanking....), then into The Snowman - they projected the BBC film and played the accompanying music, with members of the children's Bach Chorus singing the one song in there (quite haunting music). Kids enjoyed, but Bella was a bit more saddened by the end (snowman melts) than last year, when she commented, "all gone!" - that's the difference between 2 and 3 years old... Then a little sing-a-long (Deck the Halls, O Christmas Tree (which I sang in German, the ONLY WAY IT SHOULD BE SUNG!!), Jingle Bells and We Wish You a Merry Christmas). Pumpkin seemed less than thrilled, but as he was on the other side of my dad, I didn't hear any complaining. Going to just take Bella to the next two, but will probably drag Pumpkin to the third - shadow puppets to the music of The Firebird -ought to be amazing!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 am

Well, it wasn't just music, but perhaps more visual. Last night Bonnie and I saw the new Cirque de Soleil production of "Ovo". To say it was a treat for the eyes and ears is a total understatement. What an incredible show. These artists performed stunts and feats that could only be deemed unimaginable. The set designs were phenomenal. The whole "theme" was the world of insects and the costumes depicted ants, grasshoppers, scarabs, fleas and many others (a favorite was the "Ladybug" character). Acts included trapeze, tumbling, acrobatics and some amazing slackwire talent, the likes of which I have never seen. The finale will absolutely blow you away. The grasshoppers literally leap off of trampolines to cling to a rock climbing style wall in ways that do not look possible. All of this, with Cirque's unique style of lights, sets, and vivid costumes. We were seated 3 rows back from the stage and could literally touch the edge. The performers were really engaging, often looking directly into your eyes...all the while maintaining their insect like persona. The trapeze was directly over our heads and when those artists did their swings and flips, had the safety net not been there, one slip would have resulted in disaster for them and us. I have never experienced anything quite so vivid. At one point a giant flower opens up overhead and while the sight was beautiful, suddenly the whole "Grande Chapiteau" was filled with a sweet smell of lilies or honeysuckle.

And yes, as always, the music was robust and unique. All choreographed to the rhythm of Brazilian sounds, combining traces of samba, forró, carimbó, Rio funk, and samba-reggae. They even threw in a little Beethoven (5th) that evolved into a rousing version of "La Cucaracha" (Think about that...it's not as far of a stretch as you might first think... dit dit dit dahhhhhhh). The sounds of real insects are also incorporated into the tribal score.

All in all two big thumbs up for this production. If you have a chance to see, by all means do so. Incredible.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat May 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi folks. Last Sunday the soloist expected to perform with the Hartford Symphony was unable to come from Europe because of Iceland's volcanic eruption. Instead, a 13-year-old violinist from nearby was pressed into service. She played Saint-Saens' 3rd concerto. She has a very impressive resume, and she wowed the audience. I think we'll all be hearing about her before she reaches 20. Her name is Sirena Huang.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun May 02, 2010 6:47 pm

What is it about Chinese and Western music? Is it a numbers thing; that there are so many Chinese that some of them must to be good at Western music? Like table tennis players. International matches are, for instance, NZ Chinese v Australian Chinese.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sun May 09, 2010 8:18 pm

After a few generations of young, male, Israeli-related violinists, it does seem that even younger, female, Chinese violinists have superceded them. Their training can not be Chinese, since that country has been set back irretrieveably regarding "classical" music. I think it's the Asian work ethic (I've noticed it in math students) combined with European and American training that accounts for the recent phenomenon.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue May 11, 2010 11:33 am

For Mother's Day - took the family to OrKIDStra - An Enchanting Tale: The Firebird. Started with some selections from Swan Lake to get us thinking about birds and music (and another example to me about how much classical I know, but can't put a name to), then Charles Tomlinson Griffes' The White Peacock - interesting piece, then the main theme The Firebird (1919 version) preceded by telling the story, then the music went with a performance by the Underground Railway Theater - using shadow puppets. It was really good - I was impressed and the kids loved it. Bella was a bit afraid of the monsters, but thought a spider-looking one was funny (he kept dancing over Ivan's head). Great way to engage the kids in the music.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue May 11, 2010 11:43 am

I see that the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is having a Classical Comedy concert in June, including selections form Leroy Anderson and P.D.Q. Bach. I think I'll try to make that one.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Mahlersfifth » Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 am

Songbook 4 Art of Time Ensemble was just brilliant last night. It is my favourite musical experience in Toronto. Unique, brilliantly performed and filled with imagination. Andrew Burashko is phenomenal.
http://www.artoftimeensemble.com/performances.html

This weekend we are off to the COC to see and hear Maria Stuarda http://www.coc.ca/PerformancesAndTicket ... uarda.aspx .
New opera to my ears and eyes. Anyone know this?

And the following Friday it is the National Ballet of Canada doing West Side Story Suite & Pur Ti Miro & Opus 19/The Dreamer. I am excited to see this.
http://www.national.ballet.ca/performan ... _story.php

I also have a ballet to attend during the G20 Summit in Toronto (end of June) at The Four Seasons Opera/Ballet House -- located in the "red zone"... I wonder .. :roll:
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu May 27, 2010 9:47 am

shostakovich wrote:After a few generations of young, male, Israeli-related violinists, it does seem that even younger, female, Chinese violinists have superceded them. Their training can not be Chinese, since that country has been set back irretrieveably regarding "classical" music. I think it's the Asian work ethic (I've noticed it in math students) combined with European and American training that accounts for the recent phenomenon.
Shos

My "across-the-street-neighbor" is a young, white female classical pianist teacher and was/is a local/national phenomenon and if I posted her name (I won't) it might be recognized by some here. She teaches out of her home and 90% of her students are male/female Asians. The remaining 10% is black and white females and one - one - white male.

Our friends' son (his father is a surgeon, mother's a nurse) is a cellist and we've watched him for years and attended his school's symphony orchestra performances from his 10th grade until he graduated last year.

He was the only white male member of a 40+ orchestra. He's playing in his college symphony but is planning to be a physician.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Mahlersfifth wrote:This weekend we are off to the COC to see and hear Maria Stuarda http://www.coc.ca/PerformancesAndTicket ... uarda.aspx .
New opera to my ears and eyes. Anyone know this?

SDO did that one. I enjoyed it but its not one of my favorites.
It lends itself to park & bark staging, rather than lots of action.
Tough to cast, I would think, since the two leads should be easily distinguishable by ear alone (Mary and Lizzie).

Lemme know what you think.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Mahlersfifth » Mon May 31, 2010 8:38 am

Hey Piq... I thought Maria Stuarda was excellent. The staging was like The Globe Theatre -- the chorus, always, fabulous. Our Elizabeth was Alexandrina Pendatchanska (Bulgarian) and Mary was Serena Farnocchia (Italian), Eric Cutler (U.S.) Roberto (Great voice). Pendatchanska had some exquisite moments that made my spine tingle but Farnocchia was gut wrenching. The entire scene of her singing a final prayer with the chorus had me in tears. (I love our chorus). Bravos rang from all five circles in the theatre. I was thrilled to see this opera. It won't be a regular occurrence like Boehme is but I would be happy to see it again. Two weeks before this we saw Idomeneo and I find this opera so boring. Beautiful voices but arrgggh... boring. I think I want to see more modern opera at the COC.

In two weeks' time we will be seeing Rufus Wainwright's Prima Donna. I am excited to see this.

My best to OT and Altoid.

m
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Postby Mahlersfifth » Mon May 31, 2010 8:39 am

Enjoying the Britten this morning.
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:25 am

Performed in my first Israeli premiere in last week. We played my bizarre piece titled "Piece for pianist, clarinetist, etc." which involved me doing weird things to the piano, the clarinetist playing some percussion, rattling a chain and moaning, and we both shout wildly. The piece ends with a mildly illegal act that can only be accomplished in a crowded theater. The intention of the piece is to pay homage and make fun off the excesses of 20th century music. It was fun.
I was worried about the reception, but people loved it. I got some "best on the concert" comments (and the concert included Brahms!).
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:31 am

Mahlersfifth wrote:In two weeks' time we will be seeing Rufus Wainwright's Prima Donna. I am excited to see this.

Two friends of mine helped him with this opera. They were working on it next door, so I heard bits. I remember good tunes.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:34 am

Hey, Big!

Welcome back!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks, Shap.
Let's see how long I'll manage to sustain my posting spree...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:36 am

bignaf wrote:
Mahlersfifth wrote:In two weeks' time we will be seeing Rufus Wainwright's Prima Donna. I am excited to see this.

Two friends of mine helped him with this opera. They were working on it next door, so I heard bits. I remember good tunes.

I saw Prima Donna. And I loved it. My partner did not care for the first Act but loved the second. I loved the whole thing. It isn't the best opera ever -- but I am glad I saw it. I do hope Wainwright continues to work in Opera.

Nice to see you lurking Big.
Marye
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes