FaceBook

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

FaceBook

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:00 am

We are on Facebook now! Just search for Ludwig Beethoven and you'll find us. I'm adding to the page over the next few weeks so it's a little bare right now. But send us a friend request! We would love to be your friend!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Re: FaceBook

Postby Shapley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:29 am

I haven't found it yet. There are 12 pages and 336 groups that come up when I search for "Ludwig Beethoven". There is only one bare "Ludwig Beethoven" page.

I tried WCCC and came up with nothing related to Beethvon.com

I've searched for "Beethoven.com" and get nothing, as well. Can you link the page?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:49 pm

OK I updated it... just search Beethoven.com on Facebook and you will find it!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Found it and joined!
:mrgreen:

thanks Y.R.H.
:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Found it. Thanks!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby eyeclaudia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:36 am

Friended! .. erh, Fanned! :D
eyeclaudia
5th Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:25 am

Only 9 friends. Does this mean that most of beethoven.comers don't use facebook?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:43 am

Marye wrote:Only 9 friends. Does this mean that most of beethoven.comers don't use facebook?

There are nine of us who do?

Yes. I neither twitter nor facebook. I've barely learned to read blogs.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 am

Last time I looked, Beethoven.com's page was up to 33 'likers'. I don't recognize many of them as being board regulars, but then, again, I didn't know Dai Bread's real name until recently, so a few of the ones I don't recognize may be board regulars.

I still haven't figured out why they changed from 'fans' to 'likers'. Facebook always seems to find the need to change things that way. I suppose most of it is in response to suscriber feedback, but it gets kind of tiresome.

My wife enjoys Facebook more than I, as she keeps in touch with a lot of her classmates that way. I talk to a few of mine, as well as friends from other walks of life (including B.com), but not so much as she. I have found a few of my old shipmates there, which is nice.

I have twitter, but I rarely use it. I think Mrs. Presenter is the only regular correspondant I have there, and she's not on that often.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 am

Shapley wrote:Last time I looked, Beethoven.com's page was up to 33 'likers'. I don't recognize many of them as being board regulars, but then, again, I didn't know Dai Bread's real name until recently, so a few of the ones I don't recognize may be board regulars.

I still haven't figured out why they changed from 'fans' to 'likers'. Facebook always seems to find the need to change things that way. I suppose most of it is in response to suscriber feedback, but it gets kind of tiresome.

My wife enjoys Facebook more than I, as she keeps in touch with a lot of her classmates that way. I talk to a few of mine, as well as friends from other walks of life (including B.com), but not so much as she. I have found a few of my old shipmates there, which is nice.

I have twitter, but I rarely use it. I think Mrs. Presenter is the only regular correspondant I have there, and she's not on that often.

I still don't fully understand facebook...
seems like there is too much info you can put out there for the public viewing eyes....
just like my privacy... :-)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:33 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:... there is too much info you can put out there for the public viewing eyes...

Yup. Once things have been published, they're permanent. And you don't know who's looking and you never know what might come back to bite you later. Sometimes years later.

We've all seen the news stories about the twit who posted something indiscreet and then found out an employer noticed, eh?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:46 am

Yep, there's a lot of that. Some people publish all the details of their lives. I may put too much out there, but I try to keep it manageable, posting no more than can be usually be found elsewhere.

The entire internet is that way, of course. I see that Huffington Post identifies how much I've given to which political campaigns and parties, and even provides a map to my house (or, rather, where they think my house is located, I'll not be the one to set them straight on that). Too much information.

I have a friend on facebook that constantly posts about hating her job and dreading going to work, etc. I hope her employer doesn't use facebook...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 am

it's pretty amazing what people put up there and how you can see
other peoples friends list... I think that is way too open....

don't want skeletons coming out of the closet
when I run for office.... :wink:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Marye » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:28 am

I use Facebook to keep track of my family at large. They are young and keen to add pictures of themselves and join political movements or cultural ones. Keeps me in the loop (sort of). Recently a cousin found me on facebook and I haven't seen her in 15 years, which means I must have used an old photo of myself... :lol: I use Twitter and TWEETDECK professionally to follow discussions on technology and other topics related to my work. Though I rarely tweet, tweetdeck allows me to follow many discussions by using a hashtag (#). I have used Tweetdeck to follow discussions on #SYTYCD (So you think you can dance) while the show is on. :wink: Comments are a good laugh.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:don't want skeletons coming out of the closet
when I run for office.... :wink:

I think all my skeletons are out and running wild.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Shapley wrote:Yep, there's a lot of that. Some people publish all the details of their lives. I may put too much out there, but I try to keep it manageable, posting no more than can be usually be found elsewhere.

The entire internet is that way, of course. I see that Huffington Post identifies how much I've given to which political campaigns and parties, and even provides a map to my house (or, rather, where they think my house is located, I'll not be the one to set them straight on that). Too much information.

I have a friend on facebook that constantly posts about hating her job and dreading going to work, etc. I hope her employer doesn't use facebook...

This is a problem with younger people who are looking for jobs...the employers comb through facebook looking for information on them. You really don't want to post too much. I purposely omitted the name of my employer...this is one way that they can data mine.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:01 pm

jamiebk wrote:This is a problem with younger people who are looking for jobs...the employers comb through facebook looking for information on them. You really don't want to post too much. I purposely omitted the name of my employer...this is one way that they can data mine.

Yes, I use Facebook for personnal stuff. I have a Linkdin account for business contacts.

Even so, I try to limit the information I post to the type of stuff that is generally harmless to know. Their ever-changing security policies are troubling, though.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 pm

As always, never put anything on the internet that you wouldn't put in a postcard.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Like you Shap, I keep facebook as a personal account. I do not mention where I work nor do I say anything about work. On my LinkedIN account, I do not post but link up with people I have worked with. Twitter, like I said, I use for professional chat though I do not often post there. So.. I am an active lurker.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Marye wrote:Like you Shap, I keep facebook as a personal account. I do not mention where I work nor do I say anything about work. On my LinkedIN account, I do not post but link up with people I have worked with. Twitter, like I said, I use for professional chat though I do not often post there. So.. I am an active lurker.

I think that's a good way to do it. I've never had issues with LinkedIn, and I do keep it strictly business. I have rejected a few contact requests there specifically because I did not know them. Facebook, however, I have accepted friend requests from people I don't know merely because we have shared friends or shared interests. Of course, that gives their friends access to some of my data, and assumes that they are who they say they are. All the more reason to keep information under wraps.

I post travel photos on Facebook, but I don't advertise my travel plans. A lady not far from here returned from vacation to find her house emptied out. She blames Facebook (though she should blame herself) because she she posted on her wall that she was going to be out of town. Some of my own friends have posted as much, I hope they have a security system in place.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Next

Return to Nicole Marie