Does anyone read? Part II

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Does anyone read? Part II

Postby Mahlersfifth » Mon May 31, 2010 8:44 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Oh, dear. I may be in trouble. The kindle finds 50 "M. C. Beaton" books; there are the Agatha Raisin, another bunch of Hamish Macbeth Mysteries, a Seven Sisters collection, some Regency novels...

I will definitely have to try this Beaton author.
(I'd like to point out that this sort of discovery is the reason the kindle is such a good idea for me. I can get, and read, all of 'em without buying another bookcase.)

I have read all of M.C. Beaton, Selma. Death of a Valentine is the last Hamish. Read them in order though. They are more fun then. And the Agatha Raisin -- The Quiche of Death.. her first. Very good fun. NOT literature but good fun. My women friends hate Agatha Raisin but she makes me smile.
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:21 pm

I finished Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. Larsson's The Girl trilogy is currently occupying positions #2, #3, and #4 on the Kindle sales list - Hornet was #1 for the whole Memorial day weekend.

Larsson would've loved to have lived to see this.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Mahlersfifth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 pm

I too have read The Girl Who Kicked and am waiting until my friend finishes the hard cover version of the fourth soon or I will have to buy it myself.

Because one Canadian author I have liked died in the last month, I have been rereading his books. Paul Quarrington's Whale Music is a good read. I am saving King Leary for my holiday this year (Quarrington). Read last year The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill (very good read) -- Canadian and Joseph Boyden's Three Day Road and Through Black Spruce are great reads. He is Canadian, currently living in Louisianna but is Metis and writes about First Nations. Three Day Road is First World War.

I am looking for Mystery writers, preferrably English (read PD James, Rendell, Rankin, Beaton) but... I have been known to read an American author on occasion :wink: Thoughts? Anyone?
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:53 am

Got Pumpkin Brisingr this weekend. Christopher Paolini hasn't let up on his use of the Thesaurus, but quite a roaring start to this third book, so I'm not complaining too much. Friends are recommending I start Pumpkin on the the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series next. Husband saw the movie made from the first book recently and liked it...
Husband bought and recommended to me The Lies of Locke Lamora - fantasy about a master thief - basically a group of master con-artists in a world where no one has seen the like before. Enjoying it so far...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 pm

Reading Malcolm Gladwell's Blink....think he is great.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Is 6 too young for the Lemony Snicket books?
We just got 18 of them (missing vol 4 of all things), from a local book sale.

I may need to reread this thread next year to get the titles of the thesaurus addict's books, because our job is
to increase Altoid's english vocabulary. That's been handed lock, stock and barrel to the parents.
She'll learn roots, leaves, phloem & xylem in mandarin, I'll teach her the english words (or so the theory goes).
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:50 pm

I don't think six is too young for Lemony Snicket. I tried reading them as my son acquired them (as they were released), but I tired of them. Perhaps a six-year-old will be able to retain interest all the way through the set.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Marye » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Starting The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I had planned to leave this book for my sailing holiday but, nah... need someting fun now.

Does anyone read English Mysteries? I have read a great number but I am looking for recommendations of recent books. Also I see Janet Evanovich has a new book but I, sadly, tired of her Stephanie Plums by the 13th book.

Has anyone read "This Body of Death?" by Elizabeth George? What about The Passage by Justine Cronin?

Any exceptional writers out there that are a must to read?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 pm

I'd guess that the 6-year-old Altoid is probably ready for Madeline L'Engel's Wrinkle in Time books, and Ormondroyd's David and the Phoenix, as read-to-her books. And look for George McDonald's juvenile books. I still remember these authors from when I was a child, and was so charmed that even thinking of the stories makes me smile.

They will all add vocabulary. They may start the sort of "Why" questions that get into philosophy and ethics before you're done.

For comic relief, there's always Pippi Longstocking.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Re-reading one i had read in third grade, Lowell Thomas' "Raiders of the Deep".
It's the accounts of WW1 German U-boat sailors Thomas interviewed in 1920's. His style is conversational and relaxed and the stories are fascinating, in no small part because it's almost inconceivable that people actually put to sea in such contraptions.

I recall my third grade teacher was still harboring anti-German sentiment, though from which war I know not. She told us Germany had cold bloodedly stalked and ambushed the Lusitania. I got a tongue lashing for stating that Lusitania popped out of a fog surprising the Uboat and the unfortunate fellow who torpedoed the liner had not identified her before firing a hasty shot.

I think the book taught me at that early age the concept of " other guy's shoes". Given that it came out in 1928 that could have been the idea.

a. :)
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, all.
I had forgotten Pippi; the others are new to me.
Philosophical discussion? Can I borrow you for a day or two Selma?
Altoid is wearing me out.
I'm not all that good at philosophy or answering 'just enough'.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 pm

The Little Prince?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:38 am

Watching the rabbits in our backyard at evening silflay, I was wondering if Pumpkin is old enough for Watership Down. I'm thinking I was more like 7-8 before being read that one, but am unsure. Pumpkin's 6 3/4's as of next Tuesday... We still have a couple of Narnia books to go - stopped after Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:32 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:Watching the rabbits in our backyard at evening silflay

Silflay? What's that?
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:36 pm

In our backyard, watching the evening rabbit souffle? :wink:
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Too young for Watership Down. Its readable, but much better in a few years (I read it 2x, about 5 yrs apart. The second time it was a much better book).

Has anyone read any of the Mary Anna Evans mystery novels>? I just finished Floodgates and quite liked it.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:36 pm

OK, I found it. Silflay is a word in Rabbit Language. "To go above ground and eat."

Rabbit Language.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:OK, I found it. Silflay is a word in Rabbit Language. "To go above ground and eat."

Rabbit Language.

I was wondering who would catch that. I remembered it as my dad would use it whenever we saw rabbits eating. Think my favorite word in the Rabbit Language from Watership Down was 'hroo-doo-doo' (I'm probably not spelling that right), but it's what the rabbits call cars.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:03 pm

I have not read Mary Anna Evans but thank you for a new Mystery writer for me, Piq!! I am almost finished The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.. trying not to read too quickly now.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby analog » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Glenn Beck's "Overton Window" arrived as a Father's day gift ... was pleasantly surprised, it's a page turner adventure story and not the conspiracy rant i was afraid it might be.

If you enjoyed "Morgan a Suitable case for Treatment" you'll like his quirky characters.

A light and entertaining one evening read .

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie