Altoid & Other Cuties' Thread

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Altoid & Other Cuties' Thread

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon May 17, 2010 2:33 pm

jamiebk wrote:Rabbit is a favorite of mine and it's supposed to be incredibly "healthy" meat (probably not though, if it is fried). We should replace our chicken eating with that of rabbit. Dem bunnies grows fast and can be produced cheaply. Last time I had rabbit was at this place: http://www.farmhouseinn.com/ A truly incredible meal.

I agree with you Haggis on the grits...as George Carlin would say...."Get dat high rollin' boil...Get dat high rollin' boil. Den, throw dem out cause...You can't eat dem damn grits" :rofl:

Grits are truly a South'ren thang, I went to Franks (a local diner) and had soft scrambled eggs (the MRHYN hates "soft scramble"), grits, sausage and toast, life is good!!! :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed May 19, 2010 11:31 am

Grits, soft boiled or soft fried egg. Salt, pepper, butter.

Grits, frightening volumes of cheese, 1 can rotel. bake.

How do Grits differ in actual experience of consumption, from Cream of Wheat and other northern standard hot cereals?
Perhaps MRHYN would like them better w maple syrup?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed May 19, 2010 11:48 am

Da skool is collecting money for Kids w Cancer. Its a fundraiser for the leukemia and lymphoma society, tho Altoid is convinced its for kids with all kinds of cancers.
They sent home a cardboard "piggy"bank to collect spare change over the next three weeks.
Altoid is wildly excited about all this: the chance to play with money, the chance to help kids who need help, and I dont know what all. Her teacher must be an incredible demagogue.
Altoid took the box to our choir rehearsal last night. She quietly worked the room, [mostly] during the breaks in rehearsal .
This morning, we sent the box to school to be emptied. She collected $30.04 in 2 hours. Them's some really nice people. :#1:

Next week I may turn her loose on the church choir. :crazy:
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed May 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Altoid'll do great with Girl Scout cookies when the time comes! I gave to the same society - for a triathalon a friend is participating in. That's really giving for your cause!

It's been ages since I've put pics up...and since I'm procrastinating anyway....
Here's Pumpkin having his Daddy read to him and his stuffed snakes:

Pumpkin and Bella splashing in puddles this April in our backyard...it's all dried up now...

And, the two goofing around on our new papazan (only the rabbit's butt in this pic, not the kid's butts...):
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed May 19, 2010 1:26 pm

btw - the snakes from left to right are: Cobry (King Cobra), Snakey (our first snake - an emerald tree boa), Rattely (timber rattlesnake) and Vigey (sharp nosed viper). I think Bella named the big bunny, Lettuce, as the baby bunny that came with it she had already named Carrot (or, in her pronounciation, carr-ick).
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed May 19, 2010 8:10 pm

cute, cute, cute, cute, cute! :D
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu May 20, 2010 7:03 am

piqaboo wrote:Perhaps MRHYN would like them better w maple syrup?

Shudder, spoken like a real yankee. Seriously, in basic training the northern boys always thought grits were like COW and would put sugar and milk on them, never works, they just taste like sweet grits.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
piqaboo wrote:Perhaps MRHYN would like them better w maple syrup?

Shudder, spoken like a real yankee. Seriously, in basic training the northern boys always thought grits were like COW and would put sugar and milk on them, never works, they just taste like sweet grits.

Well, she IS a yankee, you see.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Schmeelkie, great pix! You have way cute kids, and a very patient spouse.
Despite all the opera-wear in which OT has appeared on-line, I'd never get away posting a pic of him in his pjs, covered w toy snakes.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu May 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Brag alert.

I told all you all before about Altoid's first day of fund raising.
So far, 10 days in, the school (165 students) has raised $800.
Altoid got almost 4% of that in her first day.

She got another donation over the weekend, in the form of a check. The teacher, seeing a check in the box, asked Altoid to explain to the class what a check was. Apparently her explanation was competent (thank goodness, as I explained it to her about 15 times the day she was given the check).

The school did a count, for their newsletter. As noted before, the school entire collected $800 so far.
Altoid's check? $200 of that total. As a result, she was asked to stand on stage during morning assembly, and tell the whole school about the check, and how she obtained such a generous donation "for the kids who have cancer". I am told she took this entirely in stride and did a good, succinct job. Oh my. I bet she didnt even have to picture her audience in their underwear.

Altoid's Gma also gave her 5 dimes for spending money. Altoid decided of her own initiative to put 4 of those dimes in the collection box. (She must get this from OT, I am not and have never been that generous. Now I have to live up to a 5-yr old. This kid will be the making of me.)

I am so damn proud of that kid.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu May 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Well done Altoid!
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri May 28, 2010 8:32 am

piqaboo wrote:Brag alert.

..she was asked to stand on stage during morning assembly, and tell the whole school about the check, and how she obtained such a generous donation "for the kids who have cancer". I am told she took this entirely in stride and did a good, succinct job....

I am so damn proud of that kid.

Parents should brag. Way to go! The Altoid seems to have inherited Tenorial confidence. (Brass, even?) And you must be a world-class explainer if she actually understood the mechanics of why a check is, but isn't, money.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: theater people are different. Melle, Garrett, both kids - they consistently astonish me, with something straight out of left field.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri May 28, 2010 8:47 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote: if she actually understood the mechanics of why a check is, but isn't, money.

Huh?

Piq, you should be proud, heck I'M proud by association!!!!
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat May 29, 2010 4:26 pm

The doctor who first suggested a link between MMR vaccinations and autism is to be struck off the medical register.

via BBC News – MMR doctor struck from register.

That means he’ll lose his license to practice in England.

Also, if you think this is just some blather, see the graph at the bottom of the article to see skyrocketing Measles rates due directly to the scare mongering done by this doctor. Good riddance
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:25 am

Haggis@wk wrote:... see the graph at the bottom of the article to see skyrocketing Measles rates due directly to the scare mongering done by this doctor. Good riddance

Looks like eighty-something percent immunization levels are not adequate for that whole herd immunity thing to kick in. Drat.
And, for the US, we've got the Jenny McCarthy numbers
It's a soapbox of mine - diptheria kills. tetanus kills. measles kills. polio kills. whooping cough can kill. Any of the above can also leave permanent damage. We used to bury half of our babies before they learned to read, and immunizations are one of the three reasons we no longer expect to. Slack off on that, compromise the antibiotics (well underway) and ignore public sanitation and we'll be back in the small coffin business.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:18 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:... see the graph at the bottom of the article to see skyrocketing Measles rates due directly to the scare mongering done by this doctor. Good riddance

Looks like eighty-something percent immunization levels are not adequate for that whole herd immunity thing to kick in. Drat.
And, for the US, we've got the Jenny McCarthy numbers
It's a soapbox of mine - diptheria kills. tetanus kills. measles kills. polio kills. whooping cough can kill. Any of the above can also leave permanent damage. We used to bury half of our babies before they learned to read, and immunizations are one of the three reasons we no longer expect to. Slack off on that, compromise the antibiotics (well underway) and ignore public sanitation and we'll be back in the small coffin business.

Hear, hear! And I read recently that the no gluten, etc. diet touted by those such as Jenny McCarthy doesn't seem to have any effect on autism. It was a small study, but still... Another reason to say, if you want good advice, ask a doctor, don't see what your favorite celebrity believes! It's nice that celebrities will use their fame to help charitable causes, but they are neither doctors nor scientists...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Schmeelkie wrote: Another reason to say, if you want good advice, ask a doctor, don't see what your favorite celebrity believes! It's nice that celebrities will use their fame to help charitable causes, but they are neither doctors nor scientists...

And if you want really excellent advice, ask several grandmas, take an average, and adjust for your specific kid. (Advice re immunizations gets really shrill from the grannies who lost children to measles, polio, etc...)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:08 pm

No-gluten diets are wonderful if a person is gluten-intolerant. As are no-dairy diets for the casein intolerant, and no-nut diets for the peanut-allergic, etc. HOWEVER, if your digestion can deal with it, it's no longer gluten, or casein, or a peanut: it's amino acids and glucose and lipids and assorted other chemicals, and waste matter. Humans are fairly efficient omnivores: most of us can eat most anything not outright poisonous. Lots of poisonous food is nutritious and safe after cooking - Yea Fire!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 pm

I remember once working with a young woman who'd had polio. She was the company's cashier, and in those days, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, receipts had to be written. Her right arm was withered and next to useless, and she was strongly right-handed. Really, she couldn't cope with the job, but there wasn't much else for her. She was a very pretty woman, but was developing a bitchy streak through constant frustration.

I felt sorry for her, but there was nothing I could do. Obvious help brought out the bitchy streak.

It's largely because of her that I have no time for the anti-vaccine brigade.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:51 am

Pumpkin presented this book on Rattlesnakes at 'Author's Tea' last Thursday. He did a great job reading and presenting his work. can't believe he's done with 1st grade already. Here's everything but the title page and back page that tells about the authors - he says he wants to be a nature explorer when he grows up!
Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

Page 4:

Page 5:
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections