Is Barack Obama the right leader for America?

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Is Barack Obama the right leader for America?

Postby analog » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Ahhh... i see

it may be a Glenn Beck special. He's been pretty persistent on that theme. One ought to sit through a couple of his shows, if only to know what he's up to.

To that same end I watch what i think is the far left, Thom Hartmann & Democracy Now on FSTV and Grit on LinkTV.

Interesting.

Al Jazeera has an interesting newscast on FSTV (9415 Dish) in time slot right after OReily on Fox(205 Dish).

Golly i'm watching too much news. No wonder i like Jon Stewart so much.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:37 am

A sure sign that Mr. Obama's ratings are sinking: I landed at Chicago's O'Hare Airport yesterday and went into the newsstand to make a purchase: Mr. Obama's face did not look down on me from the cover of any of the magazines that lined the walls of the newsstand. Not even Newsweek, or Obamaweek as it is commonly known, could find room on its cover for our president. I read that as a sign of the times, or perhaps of The Times, pointing to a decline in popularity.

Perhaps, if the Weekly World News still offered a print edition, they may have found room for him meeting with a space alien or the bat boy but, alas, Mr. Obama has to spend the week in obscurity, which Is unfamiliar territory to him, I'm sure.

For my part, I hope he likes it, and decides to spend more time there.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:25 am

My feeling about this is that if the White House thinks the trip is worth the horrible optics it’s generating, then hey — have at it.

Sure, it looks terrible for the “material girl” to be taking a glamorous, expensive vacation overseas while the latest stage of unemployment doom is descending, and sure, it makes The One’s class warfare schtick even more ridiculous than it usually is, but he and Axelrod and Plouffe and Rahm are big boys. If they think R&R for Michelle on a cordoned-off Spanish beach is worth having articles like this circulating in major papers three months before the midterms, fine with me.

As for the taxpayer expense for security, transportation, etc, (a) those same expenses would be incurred to some (lesser) extent during a U.S. vacation and (b) given the aortic hemorrhaging that is our national debt, what’s a little vacation paper cut here and there? If we’re headed for Greece-style economic collapse down the road, then darn it; let’s at least let FLOTUS see Majorca before the roof starts caving in.

Personally I think Obama's bored with being president and figures his work is done here.

Exit question: Are we looking at an LBJ here? ""I shall not seek, nor will I accept the nomination of my party for another term as your President.""?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:43 am

TUNKU VARADARAJAN: The Case For Obama/Hillary 2012. Lots of people are saying this.

A few quick thoughts:

1. This smacks of desperation. It’s basically an admission that the Biden pick was a mistake.

2. Is Hillary Clinton really the fresh new face that will excite the American public?

3. If Hillary is going to be one heartbeat away from the Oval Office, would you want that to be your heartbeat?

I’m just sayin’.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:51 am

If Hillary is going to be one heartbeat away from the Oval Office, would you want that to be your heartbeat?

I seem to recall that she refused to drop out of the primaries because, as she said, "Remember what happened to Robert Kennedy."

No, I don't think I'd want that to be my heartbeat...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Oh, I don't know... You'd have the best-looking Head of State in the world.

Sarah Palin's not a starter any more, and Condi Rice doesn't want the job. Mrs. Sarkozy won't be President of France, so that leaves Hillary with a clear field. :wink:
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:06 am

How things have changed:

Let me put this bluntly: virtually no one in America gives a damn what Barack Obama says about anything at this point. What could be more predictable, and less interesting, than Obama’s opinion on any given subject? Who wants to contemplate the economic wisdom of a guy who looted the Treasury for a trillion dollars, with less benefit than we could have achieved by stuffing hundred dollar bills into random cereal boxes? Who’s excited to hear about the next plan to convert taxpayer dollars into Democrat campaign funds? Who’s hungry for another hour of tedious excuses about permanently broken markets and the titanic dead hand of George W. Bush? Who wants a lecture on ethical business practices from the titular head of the party that gave us Charlie Rangel and Maxine Waters? What use is another hollow foreign-policy speech from a man who sees no global adversary to rival the menace of Arizona? Even Obama’s supporters don’t hear anything he says any more. There’s nothing left to hear.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Obama's Aunt: U.S. Is Obligated To Grant Citizenship

Methinks he comes by his entitlement mentality honestly...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:47 pm

PRESIDENT OBAMA TOWN HALL, MTV

MTV, BET and CMT are casting the audience for town hall meeting with President Obama. Shooting Oct. 14, 4 p.m. in Washington, D.C.

Seeking—Audience Members: males & females, 18+.

To apply, email townhallaudience@mtvnmix.com and put “Town Hall” in the subject line. To ensure that the audience represents diverse interests and political views, include your name, phone number, hometown, school attending, your job and what issues, if any, you are interested in or passionate about. Also, provide a recent photo and short description of your political views. Submission deadline: Oct. 14. No pay.

Any comments are superfluous
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Except to say that they must be getting desperate if they need to advertise. These "meetings" are usually choreographed totally and that includes hand-picking the audience.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:11 am

Brave, Brave, Brave, Brave Sir Robin:

Obama to leave town after election.
But there’s precedent: “Former President Clinton took a page from a Southwest Airlines ‘Want to get away?’ commercial and left Washington for a summit in Asia immediately after Republicans won House and Senate majorities in a 54-seat tsunami in 1994. Clinton was eviscerated by the press for leaving the country after his party was left in shambles and the future of his presidency was in doubt.”

"He is packing it in and packing it up
And sneaking away and buggering up
And chickening out and pissing off home,
Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge"
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:15 am

Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:03 am

When a good history of the George W. Bush years is finally written, his breakthrough with India may turn out to be the most important foreign policy initiative of his administration. The Indian Ocean hosts lanes for the oil from the Persian Gulf and an ever larger share of its trade, and India sits in the middle of it. It is also the geographical center of transnational Islamic terrorism. It is essential that the United States maintain a strong deterrent in the Indian Ocean, and that it preserve and enhance its ability to coerce whatever clown revue happens to be governing Pakistan at the moment. India is the key to both. That Barack Obama recognizes this is to his credit. It is quite possibly the most deft foreign policy move of his administration — admittedly, a low standard — and he deserves credit for it. Let’s just hope he doesn’t apologize too much while he’s there.

Credit where it's due.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:37 pm

I wrote this and posted it on my facebook page. I thought I'd put it here for discussion, as well:

No Place For Whiners:

When President George H. W. Bush was president, he was faced with a Democrat Congress. There were considerable battles over the budget and taxes, a short-lived shutdown of the government (over a holiday weekend), and the eventual breaking of the "No new taxes" pledge. Pressed by the Congress, the President reluctantly agreed to pass the disastrous ‘luxury tax' that was supposed to impose higher taxes ‘on the rich'.

When President Bush was running for re-election in 1992, he complained that his lack of progress was due to the contrary nature of the Democrat Congress. Give me a new Congress, he told us, and we'll get things done. Instead, the voters gave the Congress a new President.

With the Democrats in charge of both the House, the Senate and the Presidency, major policy changes were expected. One of the first measures to wind its way through the Congress was a very quiet repeal, retroactively, of the luxury tax the Democrats had fought so hard to pass. Though they would not admit it publicly, their ‘tax the rich' policy had failed miserably.

Later, they tried to pass a health care overhaul. Whatever the realities of that bill, dubbed ‘Hillarycare', the public perception was that it was a devastating take-over of the industry, crafted in secret sessions with powerful special interests, which was to forced upon us whether we liked it or not. That should sound very familiar to many today.

As a well-deserved reward for their efforts, the 1994 elections saw the Democrats thrown from their majorities in both the House and the Senate. The people apparently realized that President Bush had been correct, that the Democrat-controlled Congress was the problem. They realized this too late for President Bush, however.

This left President Clinton facing a Republican Congress that appeared hostile to his intents. However, President Clinton was a pragmatic man, and he could read the writing on the wall. He worked with the Republicans in Congress, passing historic legislation for the betterment of our nation. It was not all smooth sailing, mind you. The Congress wasted an inordinate amount of time and money pursuing meaningless investigations, culminating in the impeachment and subsequent failure of the Senate to expel him. Whatever your views on the validity of the charges, the fact that it came to naught makes it, in retrospect, a monumental waste.

The President, meanwhile, used the power of the Executive Order to impose actions that he could not win legislatively. This angered the Congress, but they were mostly powerless to respond.

The net result, however, was that the economy grew and flourished, taxes were not overly burdensome, the Pax Reagana was left undisturbed, permitting a continuation of reductions in military spending begun by President Bush. There was even a short-term balancing of the budget. President Clinton did not whine or complain, he just played the hand he had been dealt. He was re-elected and remains a popular president today, despite that rocky start.

Popular though he was, his popularity was not able to propel his Vice-President into office behind him. Perhaps because the people realized that they may have been hasty in dismissing his father, the people elected George W. Bush to the presidency in 2000. Even though the election was rocky, President Bush seated himself with grace an dignity, and seldom mentioned the unpleasant events surrounding his election.

Nine months into his first year in office, the United States was attacked by terrorists, killing thousands of Americans and propelling us into a war in Afghanistan. The attack, designed to disrupt both our sense of security and our financial structures, took a heavy toll on our prosperity. The defense cuts which had helped balance the budget had to be reversed. The uncertainty brought about by the attacks led to economic turmoil. The President rose to the occasion. Faced with an attack on American soil of a magnitude not seen in 60 years, he responded with that fighting spirit that has been the trademark of America since its foundation.

The next few years would see the nation at war even as it struggled to overcome the financial impact of the attacks. President Bush did not waiver in his commitment to fighting for our nation, and for our economy. Despite war on two fronts, an airline industry struggling to recover from America's newfound fear of flying, and efforts to reshape the security of our homefront, our economy struggled forward. The economy continued to grow.

President Nixon wrote that, once a president declares war, an invisible clock starts to tick, counting down the minutes until the peoples' support for the effort wanes. So it was with President Bush's war. Despite early successes on both fronts, driving the Taliban from power in Afghanistan, driving Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq, and the installation of Democratically-elected governments in both countries, the war lingered. Insurgencies began to take their toll on American forces, and the invisible clock ticked away. Public perception turned. The war was no longer perceived to be worth the cost. It was time, many felt, to pack up our things and go home. President Bush stood firm.

To show their displeasure with the state of things, the people again expressed themselves at the ballot box. The Congress and the Senate, after twelve prosperous years of Republican control, was again handed over the Democrats. They ran on a campaign faulting the Republicans for running up the debt, and for continuing to support the wars. Both valid arguments, though the die had been cast on the wars with popular support. The people can be fickle.

The President still stood firm, changing strategy in Iraq and turning our fortunes around, despite the claims by Democrats that the war was lost. Afghanistan languished, but the focus remained, and the president fought the wars with the army at hand.

Meanwhile, with his focus on the wars, the Congress began to shape the agenda at home. They voted in a minimum wage increase, boosting the cost of employment by over 40% over the course of three annual incremental increases. They began a budget battle with the President, both of the cost of the war and the direction of domestic spending. The lost on the war, the President lost on the home front, and we all lost on the cost. Ten months after the Democrats took control of the Congress, the markets began to decline. The deficits they had run so hard against expanded monumemtally, as spending grew and revenue decreased.

By the time we were through with their second year in power, the nation was caught in a recession. They blamed it on the President, on the policies of their predecessors, and on the general climate of ‘greed', but nothing could hide the fact that the decline occurred on their watch. President Bush, however, shrugged off their criticism of him, and stood firm in his duties. When the recession appeared inevitable, the markets were dropping, and major bank failures seemed evident, he called the two major candidates for the Presidency to his office to discuss their options. Sen. McCain, the Republican candidate, suspended his campaign and answered the call. Sen. Obama, the Democrat, rejected the call and continued to campaign. Winning office appeared to be more important to him than actually doing the business associated therewith.

Fueled by the Democratic rhetoric and a belief that the President was at fault, the people re-elected the Democrats to majority Control of both houses, even expanding their majorities. They also gave them control of the Executive Branch, just as they had sixteen years earlier when the previous President Bush had presided over a period of economic uncertainty. Sen. Obama became President-elect Obama, and then President Obama. The Democrats cheered as he took office blaming, as they had, President Bush for all that had befallen the nation.

Just as every president since Franklin Roosevelt has apparently done, President Obama arrived with a laundry-list of goals. Sadly for him, the economic conditions he had appeared so oblivious to during the campaign would work against his agenda. The wars still raged, the economy continued to slide, and yet he pressed on with his pet projects. Most notable among these was his goal for a ‘health care overhual'. He presented only an outline for this legislation, leaving the Democrat congress to deal with the details. Just as with ‘Hillarycare', ‘Obamacare' appeared to be crafted through secret backroom deals with powerful special interests, and the Democrats appeared to be willing to force it upon the public, regardless of their wishes. It was 1993 all over again.

It again only required two years for the public to tire of complete Democrat dominance of the government. They removed them from power in the House, and weakened their Senate majority. Methinks they would have removed it, as well, but the people of one State have no control over the voters of another, and there simply weren't enough Democrat Seats up for election in 2010 for the Republicans to make sufficient gains.

Now President Obama finds himself, as President Clinton did sixteen years before him, facing a Congress that has been placed in the hands of his political foes. There has been much anger and frustration on both sides, with President Obama referring to the Republicans as ‘the enemy', and the Republicans naming their priority as limiting him to one term. This does not make for a good working environment but, as President Clinton has shown, it can be made to work.

President Obama needs to put aside the whining rhetoric of what he ‘inherited' and take charge of the office he was elected into two years ago. His term is half over, and he still indicates that President Bush is guiding the economy. He should accept that the situation he ‘inherited' was inherited largely from his own party. He should own up to that fact, which I've not heard him mention in his nearly two years in office, that he was a part of the Senate majority when the situation was created. He needs to, in the parlance of the day, "Man Up", and take the reins of office. It is not too late to be great.

The president took a shellacking, as he notes. If he owns up and wears it with dignity, his presidency could still have a decent finish.

- Shapley Hunter -
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Shellac is indeed a decent finish; nice and shiny if a bit easy to scratch.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:16 pm

I posted that elsewhere, but no one commented on the pun. I don't know if they didn't catch it or if they just felt it was beneath them to comment thereupon. Oh! Well!

When Mr. Obama used the word 'shellacking', it just brought to mind the old joke:

"My uncle died after falling into a vat of shellac at his workplace."
"Oh! My! What a terrible way to die!"
"Oh! Not at all! He actually had quite a lovely finish."

I believe President Bush called it a "thumpin' " when his party was ousted from power in 2006. I don't remember what President Clinton called in 1994.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:08 pm

I call it a basic sanity in the american people, that seems to go unrecognized by the media and politicians.
We like our change slow, and well contested. We like the balance of power being split between two parties.
We're not necessarily handing the president his hat when we bring the other party to lead the congress, we're just putting things the way we like them. We'd probably do it even if the sitting president was batting .400.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Not that Obama doesn't appreciate the sacrifices of veterans. He absolutely does. Just ask the Indonesians.

He was in Jakarta for their Heroes Day this week to honor their veterans "who have sacrificed on behalf of this great country."
"This great country," of course, being Indonesia.

"When my stepfather was a boy, he watched his own father and older brother leave home to fight and die in the struggle for Indonesian independence," Obama told the audience.

And the White House wonders why so many people think there is something foreign about this guy
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:40 pm

I’m in the middle of reading Decision Points, the memoir by George W. Bush that covers his entire life but focuses mainly on his presidency. I’m about a third of the way through the book, but at least at this point it’s clear that Bush wrote the book in large part to take responsibility for his choices and their consequences. There hasn’t been any finger pointing, neither at subordinates nor at predecessors, for the big decisions Bush made and the results that followed. He expresses frustration at the failures in office and poor execution in some cases, but at least thus far, Bush puts the onus on himself.

The contrast couldn't be greater.

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:55 am

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team