My Weather Today

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

My Weather Today

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Dallas's official high today was 105. My patio temp. gauge reads 104. Cloudless sky, and I really mean cloudless!! warm breeze moderate humdity. Puts me in mind of that snow back in March!!! :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: My Weather Today

Postby piqaboo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Well, dadnabit, SHARE.
We're all getting Vitamin D deficient out here.
My tomatoes are hurtin' bad. We havent had enough hot to ripen one of them yet ( tho its getting close).
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:41 pm

84 to 88 degrees here. 15 to 20 mph trade winds. Ocasional sprinkles for two or three minutes in the morning and evening. Every day pretty much the same. Plenty of room on the beach if you care to come bask. Birds will eat your tomatoes, though.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:53 pm

While my wife may be complaining, I'm counting my blessings. I've had mostly sweat-free days this summer, but now that I've brought it up, I'm sure that will come to a quick end.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby dai bread » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm

I have a high of 15°C and a low predicted tonight of 11°C. Today is cloudy with a very light breeze from the tropical north-west. Rain is forecast, but hasn't arrived yet.

Perfect weather for tree-planting. Daffodils are out and so are early cherries. Other buds are swelling. Spring isn't far off.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:54 pm

It didn't quite reach 100 degrees today. We had a 'heat advisory', but the seem to hand those out like campaign fliers these days. The 'global warming' doomsayers are coming back out of their holes, and telling us that these high temperatures are a sign of things to come, etc., etc. Methinks it's been warmer, though.

We finally got some rain this weekend. I'll have to mow the lawn soon. The dry weather had suppressed grass growth, but the rain has put it to work overtime.

We've been getting things back in order from our absence. I drained and refilled the hot tub, and have been trying to get the pool back in balance.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 pm

It has been the coldest July on record here in the SF bay area. Average temp has been just over 67 degrees....summer has not arrived, but the PG&E bills have been good. And we've not had to water as much.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:22 am

Interesting...

We missed by .1 of a degree of tying the hottest month of July here in NYC.
Better than snow! :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:21 am

piqaboo wrote: My tomatoes are hurtin' bad. We havent had enough hot to ripen one of them yet ( tho its getting close).

It cuts both ways, the MRHYN two toms plant yielded exactly two, golf ball size tomatoes, sad, very sad.

Now the weather people are saying it was officially 105. Not a record for today. That's still 105 in 1998. That Summer we had 30+ days of three digits temps.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:59 am

87 and humid forcasted for today. 90 and isolated t-storms tomorrow and cooling later in the week. We've been pretty wet up here - above ave rain June and July, I think. Gotta get you a pic of Bella's pumpkin patch - they're huge and flowering now! Husband would love a dry spell so he doesn't have to mow as much. Weeds are out of control in the landscaping after we were gone 9 days. Humid heat will probably stop me from weeding until Thursday...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Today it reached 100+ degrees. Toasty warm.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:28 pm

101 on my patio now, 87.6 in my office. I think I failed to mentioned that I had a new A/C installed on 7/20, nearly 2 1/5 wks ago. When it began working worse than my old one we discovered that they had accidentially replaced my old 5 ton with a 4 ton. Who thinks to check these things? Well, Analog.....and probably Shapley, but as a rule who?

so I finally got a commitment to replace it with a larger unit; next week. Since I already have an e-shield in the attic that reduces attic temps 40 degrees I shudder to think what it would be like without it. During the day the new unit runs constantly, sigh, dreading my electricity bill, it was almost $300 last month
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:30 am

Apparently still steamy in B.com land, but we've cooled off - only 72 at noon, only supposed to gain a few more degrees today. It's lovely! Got to about 85 and muggy yesterday, but the wind picked up and I managed to weed while the kids played in the sprinkler (not like our lawn needs it...) and not be uncomfortable. 'course after about 20 min, I ran through the sprinkler too... one of the great things about being a parent is you can act like a kids with your kids!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:... Since I already have an e-shield in the attic that reduces attic temps 40 degrees I shudder to think what it would be like without it. During the day the new unit runs constantly, sigh, dreading my electricity bill, it was almost $300 last month

What's an e-shield?

There are people here who make a good living selling ventilation systems that transfer heat from the attic space to the rest of the house to warm it up in winter. The systems only work with steel roofs though. Tile roofs are too open, and anyway they don't transfer heat to anything like the extent that steel does.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Relatively cool today, high in the mid to upper 80s. It was 69 when I left for work this morning - the first time it's been below 70 in a week, I think.

I had expected thunderstorms yesterday morning: the wind blew, the skies grew dark, but it all blew over in about a half-hour, with nary a drop of rain. Apparently, they got a bit up North of us.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Saturday was a lovely 77 - visited the folks camping at a park on Lake Ontario - kids went swimming. I waded in, but too much green in there for my liking. Had to put the sweatshirt on while eating ice cream on the way home (~8pm). Sunday was warmer, but grey all day, and a dash of rain in late pm - we never really left the house... today we're back to 87 and humid, tomorrow too...callling for highs only around 80 later this week though, so not too bad for August in NY.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:28 pm

A beautiful sunny day after a fairly stiff frost. I have my ranchsliders open for the first time for months.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:11 pm

dai bread wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:... Since I already have an e-shield in the attic that reduces attic temps 40 degrees I shudder to think what it would be like without it. During the day the new unit runs constantly, sigh, dreading my electricity bill, it was almost $300 last month

What's an e-shield?

There are people here who make a good living selling ventilation systems that transfer heat from the attic space to the rest of the house to warm it up in winter. The systems only work with steel roofs though. Tile roofs are too open, and anyway they don't transfer heat to anything like the extent that steel does.

E-shield is foam sandwiched between two layer of metal foil. It's suspened about 6-8" from the roof and traps most of the radiant heat between the shield and the roof. It drops the ambient temp. in the attic by 40 degrees. I have a remote temp sensor in the attic (for furnace fires) and before the shield was installed the attic was about 140 degrees during the hotest part of the Summer. right now it's 102.9 on my patio and 101 in the attic.

Today is the 13th day of 100+ temps. making this the second longest 100+ period. The record was set in 1980; 42 days. We finally got our new unit yesterday and it is currently a cool 84 in my office (the sun's on this side in the PM) To get it cooler It'd freeze out the living room.

The weatherman's predicting at least 5 more days of 100+ temps.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:56 pm

We're finally getting some much needed rain. Lots of it, apparently.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks for the info., Haggis.

Today is cloudy as a storm front blows in from the north-east tropics. Heavy rain is forecast all over the country.
dai bread
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections