Summer Vacation

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Summer Vacation

Postby Shapley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:18 am

Koper, Slovenia, viewed from the bell tower of the Cathedral of St. Mary's Assumption

Corfu Town, Island of Corfu, Greece.

While Shapley and I climbed the new Citadel at Corfu, Judy waited in the church at the foot of the stairs. There she met Rose, who gave Jason a Rosary.

Split, Croatia.

Judy was happy to be in Venice!

Typical canal view in Venice. Getting the wheelchair up and down the stairs was interesting, but not too difficult, except on the larger canals.

The Grand Canal, Venice

Church of the Evangalists, Nafplion, Greece.

View of Nafplion from the Church.

The Norwegian Gem in Izmir, Turkey. This was our 'home away from home' for two weeks. It was also the cheapest hotel in Venice during the Festa del Redentore!

Horse-drawn taxi. Izmir, Turkey.

Hadrian's Arch. Athens, Greece.

The Temple of Zeus. Athens.

Chiesa del Santissimo Redentore (Church of the Most Holy Redeemer), Venice. The bridge across the canal is partially constructed in front. The church was built to commemorate the end of the plague in the sixteenth century. This church, designed by Palladio, replaces the original wooden structure built there after the plague. It is on an Island across the Grand Canal from the main city, and is usually accessible only by water taxi. During the Festa del Redentore, which is held the third weekend in July, a temporary bridge is constructed across the canal so the faithful can attend Mass at the church.

Masses were held throughout the day on Sunday of the festival, with a special mass celebrated by the bishop on Sunday evening. We did not attend Mass there, as we had stopped to attend Mass at Santa Maria Dei Carmini, a church we passed along the way.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Slovenian Countryside.

Organ in the Basilica di Santa Maria Degli Angeli e Dei Martiri.

Basilica of St. John Lateran.

Roman Gate.

Dinner at the Trattoria.

Sculpture Exhibit at the Vatican Museum.

The Roman Forum.

The Norwegian Gem, viewed from the city wall, Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Aboard the Norwegian Gem on a Sea Day in the Adriatic.

Athens, Viewed from the Acropolis.

Gondoliers, Venice.

Actors handing fliers for La Traviata in Venice. I couldn't attend because we planned to see the Festa del Redentore fireworks. There was a performance of Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro a couple nights later, which I had to forgo because we were setting sail.

Music was everywhere in Venice. From Vivaldi to Morricone to Norah Jones, there seemed to be something for everyone. Some of the churches are now venues for musical concerts, and there are opera theatres and concert halls as well. Plus, of course, there are street musicians. I would like to return there, sometime, just to spend more time exploring the musical offerings and they settings provided.

Corfu, viewed from the New Citadel.

Corfu, viewed from the Old Citadel.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 pm

How did you manage to photograph anything in the Vatican Museum without hordes of people around? There's not a soul in that photo of sculpture!
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:15 pm

dai bread wrote:How did you manage to photograph anything in the Vatican Museum without hordes of people around? There's not a soul in that photo of sculpture!

We were there at the end of the day, and they had already closed off that area. I held the camera through the gates and took the photos. They were kind of herding us towards the exits. I later took Jason to the restroom, and found my return passage blocked, so I proceeded to the exit to wait for the rest of the group to get herded there.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Shap - our pool was really lame compared to yours! However, probably much smaller boat and much less use of pool on an Alaska cruise! Although we used the outdoor one twice and indoor twice.

Anyway, here are some of my pics...actually mostly taken by hubby...
First are a couple of the inner passage on our way to Juneau:

We collectively took 293 photos - the vast majority were scenery. Just gorgeous up there.

This is the Mendenhall Glacier outside of Juneau - 1.5 miles across - receeded about 6 miles since they built the visitors center in the 60's. I just got the view walking up and from inside the visitor's center as Bella slept through that part of our excursion.

Here are the salmon jumping (best of about 10-12 pics hubby took) at a hatchery there - helps supply much of the wild salmon in the area. We were lucky to be there in the month or so they were arriving at the hatchery.

Here's my SuperGirl all dressed up for our formal dinner (Pumpkin went in jeans...oh, well).

In Skagway saw an old Gold Sledge - tear up the river for gold...anyway, one of the few pics of me...

Inside the gold sledge/panning place in Skagway they had dress-up stuff - here's my pioneer Pumpkin! And next is the Gold Rush Girl!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:48 pm

This next set are all in the Tracy Arm Fjord - the end of which is the Sawyer Glacier - the ship hung around at that end for an hour or so. Think we probably took 75 pics just that morning.

here's the glacier, and next, hubby had someone get a pic of him - think this is one of two pics of him out of 293...

This one I took on the way out - great sunshine that day, but...

Here comes the fog. It was the weirdest thing - much of the pm we were in the fog, but since it didn't extend that high, it was quite bright above us (that was our second outside pool day ~65-70 degrees F), but you couldn't see more than 100 feet to the side.

Anyway, great trip altogether...this week at work is seeming really long...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:53 pm

We'll have to see Alaska sometime. The pics are beautiful. Your children are growing up fast!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks Shap!
Bella recently decided that her old 'BabyBug' magazines were for babies, thus she didn't want them anymore. Found a couple of other books she'd outgrown and donated the lot to our daycare. She counts well now and will say, "first I was one, then two, then three. And now I'm three and a half!" Pumpkin has decided that since he's 'big', but Bella doesn't want to be considered 'little' anymore, that she's 'medium'. So if I say something like, 'there's my little girl!', she'll say, "I'm not little, I'm medium". Too funny...they both still seem little to me... Now if Bella would just stop asking me to carry her around - 40lbs is getting to be a bit much!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Bella is beautiful - well named !
and Pumpkin is so cute. I expect he carried off formal jeans with aplomb.
Nice to see pix of you and your husband - we can sure see where the kids got their looks.

Both cruises (Alaska and Mediterranean) look fabulous. All youse guys is good pixture takers!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Grazie!

Actually, I took a couple thousand pictures, and only a few made the cut. The wonders of the digital age: you don't have to develop the film to see if the photos are any good, you just need a battery charger and an extra memory card or two! You can cull out the bad ones at home, on the computer, before you spend a dime on processing.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:08 pm

That fog looks as it does when it pours in through the Golden Gate and across the bridge. A beautiful sight.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:49 am

Arrived here in Georgia yesterday for a visit with my parents.
My twin brother (he plays trombone) will be arriving next Thursday.
Looking forward to a nice stay and listening to B.com from down here.

Hope you are all having a GREAT summer.

TM :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby dai bread » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Waiting patiently. The magnolias are starting to bloom and so are the cherries. The camellias have been out for some time.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:49 am

You guys getting the banners that lead to this?
coupons for discount tourist site tix

This one offers SandiEggos as a choice.
I dont know how good the value is - I didnt click thru.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:20 am

Atlas Obscura: A Compendium of This Age's Wonders, Curiosities, and Esoterica

Interesting collection of odd places; cemeteries, museums, etc.

A whole bunch of places to add to my 'bucket list'. ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:23 pm

piqaboo wrote:You guys getting the banners that lead to this?
coupons for discount tourist site tix

This one offers SandiEggos as a choice.
I dont know how good the value is - I didnt click thru.

Just saw your post on ths. Groupon is an email service that sends a "daily deal" to your email. It is city centered which is to say that the deals are for a particular region or city. Some of them are pretty good...usually 50% off of something like Jamba Juice, admission to some event etc. If you don't mind getting the emails they are OK. I signed up for them in Santa Rosa, but seem only to get San Francisco deals so I quit. Most of the stuff is pretty optional i.e. "nice to have" but certainly not necessities.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:02 pm

I thought it might have value to those traveling to our fair city. Some of them are very tourist-oriented. Others, not so much.

Planning a trip to Julian for mid-November, speaking of touristy.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 pm

This is a church I plan to visit during my May trip to Britain. http://www.friendsoffriendlesschurches. ... -kilgeddin a nice lady from the Welsh tourist office referred me to the "Friends of Friendless Churches" website and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

One of their churches, http://www.friendsoffriendlesschurches. ... e=papworth Papworth was a church that the MRHYN and I use to cycle by in the late 70's and early 80's and I remember that we'd cluck disapprovingly of such a beautiful building going to ruin.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:48 pm

It was amazing to us to see the number of churches in Europe that were unused. A cab driver in London told us that was the norm, nowadays. He was Jewish, but said the synagogues were the same - the younger generation does not find religion to their liking, and the older generation is dying off.

We visited churches nearly everywhere we went. If not for the tourist dollars, many apparently would be shuttered. Rome seemed to be the exception, although we only visited the Churches and Basilicae in the city proper. The suburbs may the same as elsewhere in Europe.

In Venice, many have already been converted to Museums, Concert Halls, and other purposes. In Scotland, we saw many shuttered, or used as community playhouses or for other non-religious purposes.

Here's one old church that found new life with another purpose:

Church Converted To Luxury Home
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:52 pm

We sang in a deconsecrated church in Toledo, Spain. Parts of it were from the original building, circa 1100 by the ?visigoths?.
We referred to it as 'Our Lady of the Folding Chairs'.
piqaboo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections