A sad day.

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

A sad day.

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:02 am

Dear Beethoven.com Listener,

Beethoven.com, the World’s Classical Music station, is making some changes in order to better serve you better. We’re very proud that we have never gone to our audience asking for underwriting. The free music service is difficult to maintain and we need to re-think our business model.

On August 28, 2010, we’re going to sign off our online streaming only and begin a process that will hopefully lead to a bigger and better Beethoven.com. Listeners in Connecticut will still be able to enjoy the best in classical music at WCCC AM 1290 and we hope to see all Connecticut fans at our station events in the greater Hartford area!

As for Beethoven.com we have many ways to go. First, we’ve thought of a major international corporate sponsor, like an insurance company, defense contractor, environmental or medical enterprise. This sort of sponsor would be the only advertiser 24/7 and would be able to use the entire Beethoven.com site to promote their endeavors. They would also gain exclusive use of the email domain you@beethoven.com

Beethoven.com will continue to host our Beethoven Bulletin Board, CD Amigo and all the other web pages you enjoy. We are only closing down the online streaming, effective August 28.

There are many more options for Beethoven.com and we are committed to staying online and active. You can continue to contact us and send along your thoughts and ideas. Please send your thoughts to us here.

We’ll keep you posted on our future plans and please continue to enjoy Beethoven.com!

Thanks for listening,
Nicole Godburn-Schiller
Program Director

So sorry to hear this. It is like losing an old friend. I have CD's but it won't be the same. I'll miss the stream, and hearing your interesting reports on news of the classical music world.

Hopefully, a solution can be found to keep the stream running.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Re: A sad day.

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:00 am

Thanks Shapley. We hope we can find a solution too. At this point Beethoven.com will stay up so we can still enjoy the Beethoven Bulletin Board and the other features minus the streaming.

We will still broadcast on our CT signal AM 1290. And we will still be in the great Hartford area at our promotional events so we hope to see you there!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:19 am

It's a long trip, but if I find myself in the Hartford area again, I'll be sure to drop by, and tune in!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:06 am

:( :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:

5 years with b.com.... I suppose I can go back to listening to my local classical station, but it won't be the same...

My birthday will be one of the last days I can listen...NOT a good b'day present for me. :( :cry:

At least we're not losing each other...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Well, it's certainly been nice knowing you. I'm glad you're keeping the BBB going. If you ever close that, I'll need a few more e-mail addresses. Facebook isn't anywhere near as interesting.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:59 am

Whata revoltin' development . . .
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:59 am

indeed a sad day for all the loyal and long time listeners. I hope that B.com will find a way to stream at some point. There are of course other stations etc. but none like B.com.

I am wondering what will happen to those of us who prepaid for the stream for the whole year (as I did). Will the subscriptions be refunded?
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:31 pm

So did I, but the use of the BBB will continue, so I'm not fussed about a refund. Besides, I enjoyed the free stream for some time and made some friends here as well.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:53 am

OH NO.
Please... I hope there is a solution to keep the live stream on.
We all LOVE Beethoven radio and it will be very difficult to go back to listening to CD's
It just wont be the same.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:45 am

Hello-

Members will get a refund. You should see an automatic refund to your account after Aug 28. You will be sent back the unused portion of your member fees.

If you have questions you can reach our billing office at 860-525-1069 and ask for Linda or Kathy.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:31 am

Did I miss something here.

Was Friday the 13th the day of the annoucement?

Not that I am supersticious.....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:38 am

Y.R.H.,

Is there anything we dedicated listeners can do?
Send letters to the executives to reconsider?
I realize they want to make $$$ but there has to be some way to keep the stream alive.

I have to hit the lottery this week..... I'd buy the station outright and keep it on the internet.....

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 am

Is there any way to start a campaign to SAVE "The World's Classical Radio Station" ?

This is not my area of expertise, but there has to some foundation somewhere that could possibly step
in and help save the stream.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:56 am

GREAT NEWS! Apparently, they are going to keep the subscription service at $10.00 per month. If I understood Nicole correctly, those of us with a prepaid subscription will just continue on. I am not sure if we will get "live" broadcasts etc with Nicole or Sir Stew hosting, but at least we'll continue to get the great "mix" of music that we've all come to love. The banner at the B.com main screen didn't mention a prepay option...I hope that we won't have to do it monthly. In any event, it's good news to us long time and loyal listeners and I am happy for Nicole Marie.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks Trumpetmaster and to everyone else that sent in emails and called the station! Your effort has payed off!

Thanks to your support the station will keep the subscription stream! Folks who already have an account do not need to do anything, your account will stay the same. But for those that listen to the free stream, that will close on August 28, after that the only way to listen will be through the subscription service. So you have to sign up to keep listening. It costs $10 a month, that price allows for the service to pay for it's self and is commercial free. You hear me, Stew and the rest of the staff, we play your requests and no high school sports! Just the DJ and the music!

At this point we opened up 500 accounts for sign up. We are already 30% sold and the numbers keep going up! So please sign up soon if you want to keep listening. Here is a link to the sign up page: https://www.beethoven.com/member/register.php

If you have questions you can post them here or email me: ngodburn@marlinbroadcasting.com

THANK YOU GUYS!!!! This is all because of you and your support. Beethoven Radio really is YOUR station.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 am

I spoke to H.R.H. a little while ago.
My understanding is that B.com Management needs at leat 30% paid subscriptions
of the 500 available streams in order to keep b.com stream alive.
Hope I got that right...

I am reaching out to a number of my classical friends and asking them to sign up!

I am in Georgia and my parents have always listened via the free stream.
They will be signing up later this afternoon when they return from their errands.

If we all push our friends, we will be able to save the b.com stream and continue to enjoy the music,
format, and friendships developed over these years!!!

Hooray!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks, Nicole, and all the staff at Beethoven.com!

I'd be lost without my B.com!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:04 pm

WOO HOO!! :D This really makes my day. Totally worth the $10/month for this service!!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:15 pm

Nicole,
We know you forwarded our emails regarding the disappointment over losing the stream and it appears to have helped.
Can you please express our THANKS to management for not letting the subscription stream go as well.

Thanks,
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:40 pm

OK
just got my parents registered and setup for B.com subscripton service :mrgreen:

As my dad said.... "I want my B.com"

:mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Next

Return to Radio-Active