The Next Supreme

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: The Next Supreme

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 am

OperaTenor wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic that Obama, in pointing up Kagan's attributes, cited her as representing the public's interest in Citizens United? You know, the one where the corporations won and the public lost?!

Apparently, she'll be a compliment to Alito, Scalia and Thomas...

You pick some strange horses sometimes OT

she signed her name to a brief in United States v. Stevens [2010] making the disturbing argument that "[w]hether a given category of speech enjoys First Amendment protection depends upon a categorical balancing of the value of the speech against its societal costs").
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:59 pm

You Know The US Is Screwed, When China, Gambia, And Jordan Have Better Property Rights.

“Take property rights. They’re at the essence of US capitalism. Last year, according to the WEF’s survey of executives, the US was the 30th best country. This year we’ve fallen to 40th. And you’ll be stunned at the countries that our better than the US.”
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Yeah, we went a little mad with the eminent domain thing, the past few years.

Federal highways are one thing (maybe).
Shopping malls? I dont think so.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:45 pm

piqaboo wrote:Yeah, we went a little mad with the eminent domain thing, the past few years.

Federal highways are one thing (maybe).
Shopping malls? I dont think so.

Here's a question to ask your Dad. When I lived in England I hated one country road that went around a tree at the corner of a farm. Someone explained that England didn't have eminent domain laws and because the farmer refused to allow them to build on his peroperty the Council had to build the road around the tree. I suspect that's no longer the case but it apparently was many years back; certainly explains some of the crazy D roads I drove on
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:46 am

Kept ya driving slow, too, didnt it, so you didnt frighten the farmer's livestock.

Canny folk, they farmers.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Previous

Return to The Debate Team