The war on terrorism

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: The war on terrorism

Postby jamiebk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Shapley wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:If burning some Korans at a small inconsequential church in Florida puts our troops in harms way (actually that should be "in greater harms way", they already are targets) then it is time to admit that Islam is completely incompatible with Western thought and the US constitution; time to react accordingly

That's kind of what I was thinking. I don't favour burning the Quran, and I think it's a provacative act designed to inflame. But, so is burning the U.S. Flag, Burning the Bible, Shouting 'baby killer' at soldiers, protesting at funerals, and countless other provacative acts that we recognize as legal and valid protest.

Do we let threats and intimidation carry the day, or do we value our freedom. I'm on the side of freedom.

It seems to me that Islam is constantly trying to convince us that we should ignore the acts of the extremists in making any judgments about their religion...stating (correctly) that the actions of a few extremists do not represent the whole of the religion. They too, should accept that fact of the Christian religion. Obviously we have our share of Zealots and extremists...those who would burn Qurans etc. They do not represent the whole of Christianity....Muslims should recognize that since they ask us to do the same with respect to their religion.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:40 pm

I cannot remember a time when a Bible was burned in protest. When did that happen? Refresh my memory please.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Marye wrote:I cannot remember a time when a Bible was burned in protest. When did that happen? Refresh my memory please.

Saudi Arabia burns Christian Bibles, and any non-Muslim holy books as a matter of public policy. Bringing them into the country is forbidden, even if only for personal use. Neither Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Jews, etc. riot because of it.

Heck, even our own military burns them. I remember in reading an article that an Imam in Egypt wanted to burn a bible but because it's against the law to have a bible in Egypt he couldn't get one to burn.

Muslims burning bibles in Gaza

And didn't Canada's Parliament pass a bill a few years ago that could define the bible as "hate speech"? I seem to recall that. I'm not surprised most of the so called "progressive" world - Europe, Canada, etc. have some of the most orwellian, restrictive speech codes imaginable. These laws are not just laws that apply to a person insulting an individual. They apply when a 'class of people' is insulted, and yes - numerous passages in the bible, the torah, and even Buddhist texts could run afoul if espoused publicly.

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association has some interesting things to say about these laws at their website.
Fortunately that not something we have to worry about; yet.

Oh, I just realized that your question was probably rhetorical since 30 seconds of Goggling would have answered your question.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Yup... tongue in cheek Haggis.

My own right winged conservative government condemned the action of burning a Koran. Right winged Christians. But our right winged Christians are not at all like people you would recognize. In Canada we do have legislation against hate crimes and this might incite hatred against an identifiable group if such an event was tossed about in our media like it is in yours. Probably people burn bibles and Korans all the time in Canada but we just don't know about it. We are too busy reporting what the U.S. is doing. Hahaha.. Of course our hate crime legislation makes us a nicer bunch of people who say, sorry, excuse me and, no please, after you all the time. :lol: :lol:
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Marye wrote:I cannot remember a time when a Bible was burned in protest. When did that happen? Refresh my memory please.

Marye,

I posted a link to this back last year. Apparently this preacher believes that all Bibles except the original King James Version are corrupt and works of the Devil, and so he had a Bible burning.

I believe I commented at the time that, if he was such a stickler for accuracy, he should learn Hebrew, Ancient Greek, and Aramaic, and stick to the original texts, since even the King James version was potentially a source for translation errors.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:04 pm

Even if the King James version is a perfect translation, the language it was translated into has changed. Some words have done a 180 degree meaning change.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Ah no book burning and no Islamic Centre at Ground Zero. Everyone should be happy now. Yes?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 am

This Pastor should NEVER have received this much attention. All the news agencies of the WORLD (and blogs, and twitter) had a hand in this. He should have been ignored. 15 minutes of fame can be dangerous.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 am

Marye wrote:This Pastor should NEVER have received this much attention. All the news agencies of the WORLD (and blogs, and twitter) had a hand in this. He should have been ignored. 15 minutes of fame can be dangerous.

I agree. There are people all over the world burning things, and they go unnoticed. Why they choose to announce this guy's intentions to the world, and make him an international celebrity, is beyond me.

There's lots of talk about holding him accountable for any consequences of his actions. What about holding the press accountable? Is it that 'free press' thing again? Isn't he exercising his rights just the same as they? Why is are there repercussions to the exercise of one right and not of another. With freedom comes responsibility. The greater the freedom, the greater the responsibility.

The could just pack up the cameras and go home. Let him burn the Qurans or not, what does it matter. On September 12th, when people ask: "Did he burn them?",
the press could simply answer, "We don't know. I think he sent a press release, but we seem to have lost it."

Oh, he'll probably make a video and post it on YouTube, but the press doesn't have to post a link to their sites. No one needs to make an issue of it. Just ignore it the way we ignore countless other non-events that happen in this country.

There's really nothing newsworthy about burning paper.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 am

Marye wrote:This Pastor should NEVER have received this much attention. All the news agencies of the WORLD (and blogs, and twitter) had a hand in this. He should have been ignored. 15 minutes of fame can be dangerous.

Exactly! This guy is a kook...ignore him and he'll go away, but instead the press and others thrust him into a place of world attention (where he never belonged).
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:08 am

Terry Jones is just another small-minded attention whore.

The MSM gives him his 15 minutes because it sells ad space.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby lliam » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:16 am

Let us all remember this day the 9th anniversary I will never ever forget that terrifying day on Sept. 11, 2001, radical Islamic terrorists flew suicide missions that killed almost 3,000 people in New York, Washington and rural Pennsylvania. Just days later, with Americans' shock and outrage at its peak, President George W. Bush visited the Islamic Centre in Washington and sent a message to his fellow citizens and to the world. "The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam," Bush said in part. "That's not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace." This week, as we remember those terrible images of people jumping to their deaths let us never take our guard down because the war on terrorism is ongoing and who knows when it will end, if ever. Too all of you reading my post on my favourite BBB's let me tell you on that terrible day my son shouted to me from downstairs, I was upstairs on my p.c listening to, you've guessed it my favourite radio station at the time Beethoven.com. Nicole Marie announced that there had been a plane accident on one of the twin towers. I rushed downstairs and into the living room to see the first tower ablaze and a few seconds later another plane plunging into the second tower. These TV scenes upset my son and I so much we just wept and wept for those poor fellow human beings with no choice but to leap to their deaths or burn to death. I will never ever forget that day and so should every American and civilised human on this planet never forget that evil act. Why do these extremists hate the western world so much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oOW-1Ow ... r_embedded
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:57 am

"Death to U.S. pastor I'm sure, when dreaming this up, the poor smuck envisioned the possibility that even doing nothing would attract death threats. I would not be surprised to see a fatwa issued by some radical imam for even suggesting burning a Koran.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:"Death to U.S. pastor I'm sure, when dreaming this up, the poor smuck envisioned the possibility that even doing nothing would attract death threats. I would not be surprised to see a fatwa issued by some radical imam for even suggesting burning a Koran.

If he is assassinated per a fatwa, I'd be inclined to join in a grand burning of the book indeed.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:34 am

piqaboo wrote: If he is assassinated per a fatwa, I'd be inclined to join in a grand burning of the book indeed.

You might want to re-think that Koran burner Derek Fenton booted from his job at NJ Transit Ya think the ACLU is going to jump on this as a violation of his 1st Amendment rights? Yeah, me neither.

And apparently one of the Supreme Court justices thinks that burning a Koran is not protected by the 1st Amendment: Justice Breyer: No right to burn Korans in First Amendment
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:51 am

“Highest Islamist Terrorist Alert” Announced As Europol Report Confirms BNP Is Right

Mon, 04/10/2010 - 22:01 |

As the British and American governments upgrade their Europe-wide terrorist alerts for fear of a renewed Islamist attack, a newly-released European Police Office (Europol) report has confirmed that the British National Party’s explanation for the terror threat — our nation’s foreign policy — is correct.

Madrid train bombings, 2004.In an official statement, the Foreign Office warned there was a “high threat” of attacks rather than the “general threat” of earlier, and the American State Department issued guidance urging Americans to be vigilant when visiting Europe.

The official British statement warned that attacks “could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers,” sparking fears of a Mumbai-style terrorist attack.

The American government said that terrorists have “the potential to attack public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure.”

The Europol report, submitted to the EU’s Standing Committee on operational cooperation on internal security (COSI), which can be found here, was drawn up in May this year but was only released to the public last week.

In that report, Europol states that “Islamist terrorists have legitimised attacks against EU nationals by reference to Western policies towards Muslims and military deployments in Afghanistan and, formerly, Iraq.”

Furthermore, the Europol report states, those “Member States with military presence in these areas therefore face a greater risk of exposure to Islamist terrorist violence” — confirming precisely what the BNP has said all along.

The Europol report is the latest confirmation of the correctness of the BNP’s policy. In July this year, senior police anti-terrorism expert, head of the counter-terrorism Muslim contact unit (MCU) and 30-year Scotland Yard's special branch dealing with Irish Republican and al-Qaida terrorism, Dr Robert Lambert, warned that British foreign policy was a direct cause of terrorism in Britain.

His comments were echoed later that same month by the former head of MI5, Baroness Eliza Manningham-Buller, who told the Iraq War Inquiry that invading Iraq and Afghanistan had increased the terror threat in Britain.

In August this year, Britain’s oldest defence and security research think tank, the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), confirmed that the BNP has been correct all along with its claim that Labour/Tory foreign policy is a major cause of terrorism in Britain today.

RUSI, founded in 1831 by the Duke of Wellington, said in an article in its journal that “home-grown terrorism in the UK is growing” partly due to a “foreign policy that serves to focus alienation and resentment.”

The BNP has said all along that the two primary causes of Islamist terrorism in Britain and the rest of the Western world are mass immigration and biased foreign policy in the Middle East.

The Europol report went into quite some detail on the Islamist threat now facing Europe.

“Terrorist activity by Islamist, separatist, and other groups based within and outside the EU remains a serious threat to Member States,” the report states.

“Material on Islamist terrorist websites is increasingly translated into EU languages, indicating both native speaker collusion and that these groups are directing their propaganda at audiences in Member States,” it continued, alluding to the fact that already resident Muslim populations in Europe are actively colluding with the Islamists.

“Islamist extremism, however, is very much a transnational problem, even if certain home-grown elements have become a significant part of the threat in recent years,” the report continued.

“Al-Qaeda affiliated groups such as al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) and al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) not only pose direct threats to the EU, but also use the EU as a platform for preparing and initiating terrorist attacks elsewhere.

“Europol records show that 40 percent of individuals arrested in the EU for suspected Islamist terrorist activity were born in North Africa,” it said, adding that “radicalised EU-based Islamists travel to conflict areas such as Somalia to participate in armed struggle or to attend training camps.

“These individuals are a risk to the security of Member States on their return, because of their acquired skills and experience and their potential readiness to engage in or provide logistical support to terrorist activities.”

Even more disturbing, and confirmation of the problem caused by unrestricted Third World immigration, was this section of the Europol report:

“Meanwhile, the number of Somali nationals heading to Europe is increasing. In this context the Somali terrorist organisation Al Shabab’s recent statement of alignment to the ideology of al-Qaeda will be subject to continued monitoring in the EU.

“Moreover, South West Europe is the region in the EU most preferred by terrorist groups with links to North African al-Qaeda affiliates, with active AQIM cells in Spain engaged in recruitment and the provision of logistical support to cells in North Africa.”

In addition, the Europol report touched on the fact that already resident Muslim populations are providing financial support for terrorism.

“The financing of terrorist groups is also supplemented considerably by contributions from residents in the EU and funds misappropriated from NGOs, including those active in the EU,” the report said.

The BNP hopes fervently that there is not a Mumbai-style terrorist attack in Europe, as per the warnings recently issued.

But if there is, then the blood spilled will be firmly on the hands of the Labour and Tory regimes, and their ideological colleagues in Europe who have all ignored the commonsense, logical and accurate explanations of the Islamist terrorist threat as spelled out by the BNP, Europol, MI5 and numerous internationally acclaimed strategic study institutes.
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:45 am

url=http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/23/world/asia/23kabul.html]Taliban Leader in Secret Talks Was an Impostor.[/url] Remember how these people were going to bring back competence? “
And we gave him a lot of money.”
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't hold a high opinion of anyone who would allow his country to get bogged down in a war in Afghanistan. Nobody has ever beaten the locals for any length of time at all, not even Alexander the Great. What happened to the garrison he left behind? The British tried more than once, and failed every time. The Soviets got kicked out after about 10 years. The U.S. and NATO? Forget it.

What's needed is a force big enough to kick the Taleban hard where it hurts. That done, get out, and leave the locals to sort out their own affairs.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team