Draining the Swamp

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Draining the Swamp

Postby jamiebk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:53 am

This is new??? These sorts of of grants/expenditures are common-place no matter what party is "in".
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:36 am

New York Times, Congressional Charities Pulling In Corporate Cash

A review by The New York Times of federal tax records and House and Senate disclosure reports found at least two dozen charities that lawmakers or their families helped create or run that routinely accept donations from businesses seeking to influence them. The sponsors — AT&T, Chevron, General Dynamics, Morgan Stanley, Eli Lilly and dozens of others — contribute millions of dollars annually in gifts ranging from token amounts to a check for $5 million. ...

Despite rules imposed in 2007 to curb the influence of special interests in Congress, corporate donations to lawmakers’ charities have continued, thanks to a provision that allows businesses to make unlimited gifts to them. And while business executives say they want to give to a good cause, their pattern of spending — contributions that often are not disclosed, in apparent violation of ethics rules — suggests another reason. ...

[M]embers of Congress benefit from the good will that their corporate-financed philanthropy generates among voters. The lawmakers defend the donations, saying they have no influence on the politicians’ positions on legislation or policy. They also say that they typically do not serve on the charities’ governing boards or solicit contributions themselves. ...

[S]ome current and former lawmakers, as well as ethics officials on Capitol Hill, find the charitable donations troubling, calling them one of the last major unregulated fronts in the “pay to play” culture in Washington. The donations typically far exceed what companies are permitted to give to candidates in campaign contributions.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:10 am

Over 280,000 Federal Workers Owe $3.3 Billion in Back Taxes
Over 280,000 federal workers and retirees owed more than $3.3 billion in back income taxes in 2009 (up from $3.0 billion in 2008 and $2.7 billion in 2007).

The cabinet departments with the largest percentages of employee/retiree tax deadbeats are:

1. Housing & Urban Development: 4.40%
2. Veterans Affairs: 4.04%
3. Education: 3.86%
4. Army: 3.69%
5. Health & Human Services: 3.58%
6. Defense: 3.20%
7. Commerce: 3.15%
8. Air Force: 3.14%
9. State: 3.10%
10. Navy: 2.95%

The agencies and commissions with the largest percentages of employee/retiree tax deadbeats are:

1. Committee for Purchase from People Who Are Blind or Severely Disabled: 14.29%
2. Federal Mine Safety & Health Review Commission: 11.11%
3. U.S. Access Board: 7.32%
4. Government Printing Office: 6.83%
5. National Capital Planning Commission: 6.67%
6. Small Business Administration: 6.34%
7. Federal Labor Relations Authority: 5.79%
8. U.S. Commission on Civil Rights: 5.77%
9. Armed Forces Retirement Home: 5.28%
10. U.S. Office of Special Counsel: 5.26%

Other departments and agencies:
Federal Reserve Board: 4.32%
U.S. House of Representatives: 3.93%
U.S. Senate: 3.04%
SEC: 2.44%
U.S. Tax Court: 1.75%
Treasury Department: 0.99% (the lowest delinquency rate among cabinet departments)
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:07 pm

I wonder what the national rate is, among the taxpaying citizenry as a whole?
I'm guessing 3-4%, based on that data.

14% is appalling.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:36 pm

piqaboo wrote:I wonder what the national rate is, among the taxpaying citizenry as a whole?
I'm guessing 3-4%, based on that data.

14% is appalling.

Taxes are for the little people like you and me. I was literally stunned when Geithner got off with his apparent fraud with no more a penalty than just paying his back taxes. Think you and I could have gotten away with that?

I got slammed with a $1.7k fine last year for a genuine error I made filing the previous year. I forgot to list income that would have generate an additional $3K tax liability ad I was fined more than 50% of that liability.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:12 am

The Democrats have unveiled a new logo and a new slogan. Image

They've apparently lost their a**, probably because people can recognize them as such without advertising it.

The new logo looks like a grade, to me. However, I would have given them an "F" rather than a "D". I guess they grade on the curve...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:01 am

Lost their a**???? I suppose that its still better than losing some 20% of the Republican party members to the Tea-Party. Or...if that the Republican's form of re-branding :lol:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:16 am

jamiebk wrote:Lost their a**???? I suppose that its still better than losing some 20% of the Republican party members to the Tea-Party. Or...if that the Republican's form of re-branding :lol:

Not really, the Tea Party is forcing the Republican Party to revert to the Regan Conservatives base. Don't think this is a flash in the pan. 40% of the country is conservative; less than 20% are considered liberal.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:20 am

Shapley wrote:The Democrats have unveiled a new logo and a new slogan. Image

They've apparently lost their a**, probably because people can recognize them as such without advertising it.

The new logo looks like a grade, to me. However, I would have given them an "F" rather than a "D". I guess they grade on the curve...

I like mine better

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:53 am

Bullseye!

I like it!

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:52 pm

Took me a moment to notice the $$ in your post, Shapley. I kept looking for a spelling error in the logo (democrts). :oops:
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:18 am

piqaboo wrote:Took me a moment to notice the $$ in your post, Shapley. I kept looking for a spelling error in the logo (democrts). :oops:

They used to have donkey on their logo. Now it's gone. Hence, they've lost their a**. I was going to write the word (as I did on facebook), but Nicole is a bit stricter with her rules than those facebook guys. I noticed that when I commented on reading Conrad's 'N-word' of the Narcissus, and Nicole edited the title of the book...

I don't want to run afoul of the rules, hence the self-censorship... ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:59 am

Shap...I am curious. when you posted that Democrates lost their a$$....did you type it with the dollar sign? When I viewed it, it came through with asterisks ** instead of dollar signs...so it looked like a** instead of a$$. I am wondering if there is something different on my screen for some reason. (hold your "horses" Nicole, we're trying to stay within the bounds of good taste here :rofl: )
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:56 am

Jamie,

No, I used asterisks. I thought the dollar signs were still to close to pass scrutiny. We are a family-friendly board, after all. :)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:00 am

jamiebk wrote:Lost their a**???? I suppose that its still better than losing some 20% of the Republican party members to the Tea-Party. Or...if that the Republican's form of re-branding :lol:

That's called 'primaries'. It's also called 'cleaning house'. Something that has to be done now and again. As has been noted ad nauseum here and elsewhere, the Republicans were not exactly spotless in their record, which is why they were replaced by Nancy Pelosi and her band of idiots. Before power is handed back to the Republicans, it is necessary to have a better brand of Republican, hence the T.E.A. Party's effort to clean house.

If you'll recall we saw a similar movement during the 'Reagan Revolution' of 1980. There was no T.E.A. Party, just the usual battle of 'old guard' vs. 'conservative' Republicans, with the old guard losing out initially, but eventually knocking the steam out of Ronaldus Maximus' efforts.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 pm

The Continuing Resolution:

With elections forthcoming, and pollsters humming,
and the budget battle no nearer a solution,
the government needs funding, but Congress is running
thus they seek another Continuing Resolution.

The deficit, it seems, bursts at the seams,
with neither Congress nor the President understanding
how much more we'll be spending on entitlements unending,
with debt, thus accumulated, not withstanding.

Continuing Resolution in hand, at the White House they'll land,
and ask the President to keep the money flowing.
And he will agree, for ne'er unravel will he,
the tangled knot that is woven, to his own party owing.

Campaigns must be fought, re-elections be sought,
all the harder to win if the truth be revealed.
No spending bills signed, to a continuation they're resigned,
the size of the deficit to remain concealed.

The economy, flat, produces few taxes that
could pay for all the spending desired.
Tho, curbing spending remains something entirely disdained
‘mongst the throngs of politicians we've hired.

September pulls to an end, but we'll spend and we'll spend
thanks to a resolution to keep the funding intact.
With the deadline so near, their constituents fear
that a spending measure they'll fail to enact.

But they need not fear, for the funding so dear
is crucial to their election desires.
So they'll keep it coming to keep their constituents humming,
and not fan the TEA Party's fires.

Congress long ago learnt, when Gingrich got burnt,
not to shut down the business of spending.
Great damage it inflicts and, thus, spending edicts
will be passed when e'er shutdowns are pending.

October 1st is the date after which it's too late
to have the budget passed in manner correct.
But our congress of late is resigned to their fate
of waiting post-election, spending to inflate.

So, now, worry not about all of that rot
about deficits and cuts thr'out the lands.
For we'll keep the cash flowing and you can rest knowing
that the country's in the very best of hands.

- Shapley Hunter -
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Treasury Inspector General to Investigate White House Disclosure of Confidential Taxpayer Data of Political Opponent. But don’t worry — your health information under ObamaCare will be completely confidential.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 am

New York gubernatorial hopeful slams gays

A curious item in the article: "Newsday.com reported that Mr. Paladino’s prepared text had included the sentence: “There is nothing to be proud of in being a dysfunctional homosexual.” But Mr. Paladino omitted the sentence in his speech."

So, it's not enough to condemn him for what he says, the article has to include what he didn't say...

Curiouser and curiouser.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:13 pm

The end of Air Pelosi: No more Gulfstream commutes:

“Presumptive Speaker Boehner just told reporters he’s flown commercial for 20 years and will continue to do so as Speaker.”

Well, she's still has the broom

(Ed. "You know Piq'll have a good argument over your "hypocrisy" for that)

Yeah, I know, but it was such low hanging fruit..... :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Did you say something, or were you just breathing with your mouth open, again?
piqaboo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team