My Weekend . . .

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: My Weekend . . .

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Good luck with your knee. no fun.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:14 am

"It turns out I had a 95% torn patellar tendon. I had surgery a month after the accident and had the leg braced straight for 6 weeks. My knee is still very weak and gives out on me occasionally."

I feel for you BigJon... I had to wear my knee brace for 6 months. Was only allowed to take it
off when I got home and went to bed.

The patellar tendon is no fun. My colleague tore her patellar right after I blew out
my own knee. It's about 11 months since her surgery and she still goes to PT.

It is almost 1 year since I had reconstructive knee surgery.
My right knee still does not feel as secure as the left knee. It will probably
be like that for the rest of my life. I have been advised to avoid squatting
contact sports (gee... I'll stick to trumpet) etc....

Thank god you are OK after that horrible incident.
My prayers are with you...

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 am

That's a shame about your knee. I consider myself lucky to not have any serious problems with mine, although I've known people who have, and seemed to fully recover.

Good luck on that, and with the insurance company.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:21 am

My family and I went to Paducah, Kentucky Saturday. They were having their Barbeque Festival, or 'Fat Fest' as I called it. Barbeque is only one of the things on the menu. There were deep-fried Twinkies, deep-fried Oreos, fried Ice-Cream, fried pies, and so on. It seems that once those Kentuckians get the deep-fat frier going, they don't shut it down until they are out of batter. Anything in the pantry gets doused in batter and thrown in the oil.

There were many different barbeque tents set up for this annual shindig, with a final judging of the barbeque on Saturday night. All of the money raised by the selling of the foodstuffs goes to various non-profit organizations. It seemed as if every church in Paducah had a tent set up selling barbeque or some other concession. Many had more permanent-looking structures of plywood, obviously set up each year for this. The Paducah Symphony Orchestra had a biergarten set up to raise funds for their organization.

There was all sorts of food-on-a-stick as well. We had the Belgian-Waffle-on-a-Stick-Dipped-In-Fudge, called a Fudge Puppy, whihc was quite good. I think a local High School set up that particular concession. A guy dressed as Elvis was cooking them. I still haven't figured out the connection between Elvis and Belgian Waffles, but I guess there's one somewhere. We also sampled a fried Twinkie and a fried Oreo. They were actually pretty good, but the Twinkie was a bit too messy for my liking. We didn't eat lunch, even though the smell of all that barbeque was tempting, because we had other plans.

There was live music, but it was a bit loud for my liking. The weather was excellent.

While we were there, we journeyed down to Kentucky Lake to visit my 'daughter' Tenacity, still tied to the pier. I haven't had the opportunity to get down there but once this year, and spent my day bailing her out then. She seemed to be floating well Saturday. I'm hoping to get a chance to sail her at least once before the weather turns too cold, but the schedule doesn't look hopeful.

We stopped at Patti's 1880 Settlement in Grand Rivers (between Kentuck and Barkley Lakes) to have lunch. The food was really good (as always). We walked along the lake after eating, then headed back to Paducah. We had tickets to see Bill Engvall (of Blue-Collar Comedy fame) at Paducah's Carson Center. It was an enjoyable show. Afterwards, we took a walk through the Barbeque fest again. It was more crowded then, but they were already taking down some of the tents.

All in all, it was a pleasant wat to spend a Saturday.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:27 pm

No knee injuries, I hope. :mrgreen:
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:11 am

Shapley wrote:My family and I went to Paducah, Kentucky Saturday. They were having their Barbeque Festival, or 'Fat Fest' as I called it. Barbeque is only one of the things on the menu. There were deep-fried Twinkies, deep-fried Oreos, fried Ice-Cream, fried pies, and so on. It seems that once those Kentuckians get the deep-fat frier going, they don't shut it down until they are out of batter. Anything in the pantry gets doused in batter and thrown in the oil.

There were many different barbeque tents set up for this annual shindig, with a final judging of the barbeque on Saturday night. All of the money raised by the selling of the foodstuffs goes to various non-profit organizations. It seemed as if every church in Paducah had a tent set up selling barbeque or some other concession. Many had more permanent-looking structures of plywood, obviously set up each year for this. The Paducah Symphony Orchestra had a biergarten set up to raise funds for their organization.

There was all sorts of food-on-a-stick as well. We had the Belgian-Waffle-on-a-Stick-Dipped-In-Fudge, called a Fudge Puppy, whihc was quite good. I think a local High School set up that particular concession. A guy dressed as Elvis was cooking them. I still haven't figured out the connection between Elvis and Belgian Waffles, but I guess there's one somewhere. We also sampled a fried Twinkie and a fried Oreo. They were actually pretty good, but the Twinkie was a bit too messy for my liking. We didn't eat lunch, even though the smell of all that barbeque was tempting, because we had other plans.

There was live music, but it was a bit loud for my liking. The weather was excellent.

While we were there, we journeyed down to Kentucky Lake to visit my 'daughter' Tenacity, still tied to the pier. I haven't had the opportunity to get down there but once this year, and spent my day bailing her out then. She seemed to be floating well Saturday. I'm hoping to get a chance to sail her at least once before the weather turns too cold, but the schedule doesn't look hopeful.

We stopped at Patti's 1880 Settlement in Grand Rivers (between Kentuck and Barkley Lakes) to have lunch. The food was really good (as always). We walked along the lake after eating, then headed back to Paducah. We had tickets to see Bill Engvall (of Blue-Collar Comedy fame) at Paducah's Carson Center. It was an enjoyable show. Afterwards, we took a walk through the Barbeque fest again. It was more crowded then, but they were already taking down some of the tents.

All in all, it was a pleasant wat to spend a Saturday.

Wow...Paducah KY...that brings back some memories. I visited there once. I had an account...road builder and coal miner by the name of Jim Smith Contracting. Operated and owned by...yep...Jim Smith. He owned a bunch of coal mines as well and a bar called Stacy's Lounge. I remember riding in his helicopter to survey his coal mines (strip mining)...quite an operation. They used to refer to him as "the King of Paducah" and he really was...ruled with an iron hand.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:15 am

Jamie,

I see he is still in business. I passed by his coal facility there at Grand Rivers on the way to see my 'daughter'. I'm not familiar with him or his company personally, except to know that it is a big operation.

Stacy's Lounge sounds familiar. I think I've been there.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Shapley wrote:Jamie,

I see he is still in business. I passed by his coal facility there at Grand Rivers on the way to see my 'daughter'. I'm not familiar with him or his company personally, except to know that it is a big operation.

Stacy's Lounge sounds familiar. I think I've been there.

Small world Shap. Six degrees....
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections