Book Update

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Book Update

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:13 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Giant Communist Robot on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:The books spent a week in customs before being x-rayed; they've now been released to the publisher. Over the weekend a friend was at a bookstore and saw a poster announcing a book signing and reading this Saturday. She e-mailed us a pic of the poster--it was the first we had heard about it. The publisher said bookstores do sometimes jump the gun on these things. So we'll be at the Kahala Barnes & Noble Saturday.

Monday the local newspaper ran a half page review with a color pic of the cover and a headshot of my wife. Tuesday someone she didn't know stopped her on the street to ask her if she was the author. A local celebrity.

GREAT NEWS!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:49 pm

AWESOME !
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:25 am

Looks like they've got the shopping cart working properly now, with a link to PayPal.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:54 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Giant Communist Robot on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:08 pm

The publisher tells me my copy shipped today.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:57 pm

I messed up my order somehow, so will be re-ordering.
Again, wondering about shipping to/fro hawaii, because would LOVE to have signed copies (3).
But, no brainpower to spare til next week.

Congrats again/
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:15 pm

piqaboo wrote:Again, wondering about shipping to/fro hawaii, because would LOVE to have signed copies (3).

I paid $4.95 Shipping/Handling. You should probably call or e-mail to see what the cost would be for three copies. I suspect that, if they all ship together, it wouldn't run much higher. E-mail them when your order if you want a signed copy, and she says she'll get that done. I have been assured that mine is signed.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:59 am

Here's the linkie for the TV interview. The viewer is rather small--after starting the video click on the lower right corner's button for a larger screen.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:00 pm

I recieved my copy today. It's a beautiful book, appearance wise (I haven't read it, yet). I'll read it to my stepson in a day or two.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:10 am

I finally got around the reading the book. It's a short read, but I let it languish on the mantle while I was doing other things.

I enjoyed the book very much. I nice story, and a worthwhile lesson for today's kids. (Well, okay, the kid should have listened to his mother, but it worked out in the end. ;) )

The artwork is beautiful!

There is a recipe in the back, too. I haven't tried it, yet.

GCR, tell your wife she did a fine job! Looking forward to her next book!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat May 07, 2011 2:59 am

Plenty Saimin won the Ka Palapala Po'okela Award for excellence in children's literature tonight. The award is presented by the Hawaii Book Publishers Association.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sat May 07, 2011 11:29 am

I saw that on facebook. Congratulations!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sun May 08, 2011 1:04 am

Thanks!
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat May 21, 2011 3:24 pm

I've just started reading "Rawhide Down", the story of Hincley's attempt on Reagan; riveting stuff! Best line so far "The white House is the safest place in the known universe"!
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:05 pm

I just finished Bill Bryson's "At Home: A short history of private life" and I loved it. I tried to write a summary but decided to steal part of one from Amazon

Is there anything Bill Bryson isn't interested in? He moves from one subject to the next with equal amounts of genuine enthusiasm. And we're not talking about just the really remarkable stuff - a lot of what gets Bryson going seems quite mundane. Mousetraps, for instance. Once he has you hooked, you too realize that even mousetraps are pretty fascinating after all.

There's no point looking for a theme to At Home, even though it's nominally a social history of the home, specifically Bryson's home, a former rectory in Norfolk, built in 1851. Going from room to room is just an excuse for Bryson to expound on whatever he finds interesting. It might be best to take the book as a series of loosely connected magazine articles or short essays. You can skip around without losing the thread, because there isn't one.

That sums it up very well, for some reason I think that both Selma and Piq would enjoy this book. You'll find out where the phrase "Baker's Dozen" comes from and why it was used to avoid going to jail.

And you'll be intrigued about where Skara Brae came from and slightly disappointed, as Bill and I, to learn that Otto Titzling apparently didn't invent the bra....... :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:54 am

Guys - wrong thread. THat's the :Does anybody read" thread. This thread is about GCR's wife's book "Plenty Saimen".
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:38 am

piqaboo wrote:This thread is about GCR's wife's book "Plenty Saimen".

A good book, too!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Previous

Return to Culture Connections