Opera Season in your neighbourhood

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Opera Season in your neighbourhood

Postby barfle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:50 am

As far as I'm concerned, you gave her far more of a response than she deserved. I would have responded to her email with "It ended as I knew it would. Where should I send the $12.50?"
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:31 am

I can't see any reason for complaint on her part.

Glad you enjoyed the opera.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 am

Screw her... You have gone above and beyond. You are right she is an adult and is responsible for her own actions. Sounds like she has more issues going on then what $12.50 can cover. :crazy:
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:30 am

I agree.

Just a small update. Since my email to her, nobody has heard from her again. Perhaps she decided ours WASN'T the group for her. Lesson accomplished.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:17 pm

treebeau wrote:I agree.

Just a small update. Since my email to her, nobody has heard from her again. Perhaps she decided ours WASN'T the group for her. Lesson accomplished.

Regards,
Tim B.

And who says there aren't any happy ending to operas?
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Mahlersfifth » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:19 pm

jamiebk wrote:
treebeau wrote:I agree.

Regards,
Tim B.

And who says there aren't any happy ending to operas?

LOL! :rofl:
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:12 pm

I saw "Il Trovatore" recently. Wonderful performance, though the sets were rather minimal.

Coming up:
1. Magic Flute: in English. Not real psyched because I've seen it a few times, BUT it is an oppoprtunity to introduce a good friend to opera with nice music.
2. Simulcast of the Met: Don Pasquale. Will see it at a theater here downtown. Trying to get my friend/Italian restaurant owner named "Pasquale" to go (when I see him I call him Don Pasquale and I brought him a program from when I went to see Don Pasquale earlier this year). He's from Naples, is probably in his 60s, and has never been to the opera. He won't even need supertitles.
3. Cosi Fan Tutte: NC School of the Arts performance. VERY talented youths!
4. La Traviata: Charlotte. Introducing another friend.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:42 pm

treebeau wrote:I saw "Il Trovatore" recently. Wonderful performance, though the sets were rather minimal.

Coming up:
1. Magic Flute: in English. Not real psyched because I've seen it a few times, BUT it is an oppoprtunity to introduce a good friend to opera with nice music.
2. Simulcast of the Met: Don Pasquale. Will see it at a theater here downtown. Trying to get my friend/Italian restaurant owner named "Pasquale" to go (when I see him I call him Don Pasquale and I brought him a program from when I went to see Don Pasquale earlier this year). He's from Naples, is probably in his 60s, and has never been to the opera. He won't even need supertitles.
3. Cosi Fan Tutte: NC School of the Arts performance. VERY talented youths!
4. La Traviata: Charlotte. Introducing another friend.

Regards,
Tim B.

"Magic Flute" in English will enable your friend to know what's going on, too. Surtitles are all very well but you have to take your eyes off the stage to read them.

I get annoyed when people sing the "Catalogue Aria" in Italian to an English-speaking audience. It's one of the few really amusing arias in all opera, and the singer doesn't bother letting his audience in on the joke.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:26 pm

dai bread wrote:"Magic Flute" in English will enable your friend to know what's going on, too. Surtitles are all very well but you have to take your eyes off the stage to read them.

I get annoyed when people sing the "Catalogue Aria" in Italian to an English-speaking audience. It's one of the few really amusing arias in all opera, and the singer doesn't bother letting his audience in on the joke.

I had to look up "Catalogue Opera" and now see that it is from Don Giovanni. Are you saying that you would want the whole opera to be performed in English where you would attend? I might be missing a joke YOU are intending. :D
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:06 pm

Frankly, yes, though not to the joke I'm afraid.

I have a Wagnerian attitude to opera- it is an integrated whole (or should be) and the words are important. I'm aware that translations are not always the best, though "milk-punch or whisky" doesn't seem any worse than the "milk-punch o whisky" which is in the Italian section of my libretto for "Madam Butterfly." I've been told that only the English-speaking world insists on opera in its original language. Germans, French and Italians will happily use translations, though not having heard opera in any of those countries, I can't confirm that.

I think that any shortfall in a translation reflects on the translator. English is a very versatile language. German, in particular, translates well. Come to think of it, there is a very strong case for operatic libretti to be improved by a translator. They're not renowned as works of literature.

Mind you, having "Don Giovani" sung in Italian wouldn't keep me away from a performance. It's a great show, and I'm familiar enough with it to have a fair idea of what's happening on stage.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:35 am

dai bread wrote:...I think that any shortfall in a translation reflects on the translator...

There's some old quote, which I am too lazy to Google just now, that compares translations to women. The beautiful ones being unfaithful and the faithful ones being unbeautiful. Perhaps we should turn some poets loose on the libretti? :deal:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:29 am

I wish we still had opera in Connecticut. Our CT Opera closed and we now have a few small companies but nothing as grand as the CT Opera. :(

I was thinking of checking out one of the movie simulcasts the Met does. There are a few movie theatres in the area that show them. Has anyone checked them out before? Is it worth it?
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:49 am

The Union Avenue Opera in St. louis has an Opera Gala Concert October 30, and Amahl and the Night Visitors in December. Their regular season does not begin until July.

The St. Louis Winter Opera has a Masquerade Ball tomorrow night, and an 'Opera Extravaganza' concert in November, but no opera until February, when they open the season with La Traviata.

The Opera Theatre of St. Louis opens in May with Don Giovanni.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
dai bread wrote:...I think that any shortfall in a translation reflects on the translator...

There's some old quote, which I am too lazy to Google just now, that compares translations to women. The beautiful ones being unfaithful and the faithful ones being unbeautiful. Perhaps we should turn some poets loose on the libretti? :deal:

What a good idea! Or even a decent prose writer. Have you seen the rewrites of Shakespeare by Sally Wainwright, among others?
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 am

I'm looking forward to the San Diego season, even tho I dont remember what's on the schedule.
I know one of my favorite directors is doing his last show.
I expect the staging will be excellent, and I will miss his touch.
I was hoping he'd direct til Altoid was old enough to watch a staging rehearsal - he's fascinating to watch in action.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Nicole Marie wrote:...

I was thinking of checking out one of the movie simulcasts the Met does. There are a few movie theatres in the area that show them. Has anyone checked them out before? Is it worth it?

I will let you know! Going to see "Don Pasquale" this weekend.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:13 pm

I got my license. Good for one opera. Hoping it will fit on the bumper of the honda so I dont have to take the truck. Thinking Traviata would be a good one to bag.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:33 am

NM,

In a word...fantastic!

As a "movie audience" we got to see some of what goes on backstage between acts. Never would see that as a live audience member. Anna Netrebko was cute and spunky and perfect. The other 3 main characters were just as great...I just don't feel like looking up their names. :-)

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:30 am

Awesome! thanks! I'll have to check it out. The Los Angeles Philharmonic just announced that they are going to start the HD broadcasts in January and a theatre in our area will take part. I'll have to check it out! I'd love to see the amazing Dudamel in actions with the LA Phil.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Nicole Marie