Live Music

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Live Music

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:04 am

Selma,

I agree. But, when you're performing with a hundred other musicians, doesn't it help to be following the same score? :)

I realize Mr. Bell probably plays the Tchaikovsky so much he can perform it in his sleep. As I said, Sara Sara Sant'Ambrogio pretty well did. I'll also grant that solos give a performer a lot of leeway. They can miss a note or a line and, if the music flows well and they don't show it, none will know it. As long as they can pick back up to the point that the orchestra, who are following the score, can find their cue, t'will all be well.

It just strikes me that performing a 30+ minute piece with no score in front of you, and having a hundred or so musicians keep pace and perform their work so that it sounds like something other than organized chaos isn't artistry, it is magic.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:35 am

Shapley wrote:Selma,

I agree. But, when you're performing with a hundred other musicians, doesn't it help to be following the same score? ....It just strikes me that performing a 30+ minute piece with no score in front of you, and having a hundred or so musicians keep pace and perform their work so that it sounds like something other than organized chaos isn't artistry, it is magic.

No. All hundred should be paying attention to the conductor. You know the music, and it flows. The conductor channels the flow.
And, when it all flows right, it is magic.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:01 am

OT - your opera seaon in SD looks good. Isn't Turandot your favourite for chorus? I have never seen Der Rosenkavalier.

COC season looks good: Aida, Death in Venice, Magic Flute, Nixon in China, La Cenerentola, Ariadne auf Naxos, Orfeo ed Euridice. I have only seen Aida and The Magic Flute so it could be a exciting season or gigantic flop. Aida reviews were less than stellar -- Sonda Radvanovsky's reviews were brilliant though, I understand and the chorus, of course always genius. She has a new CD, Verdi arias... and it was her turn to be host on a Saturday radio programme called This is My Music. Really a good programme.http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/programs/thisismymusic/

I also have tickets to these events at the newest concert hall in Toronto - Koerner -

Abbey Road http://performance.rcmusic.ca/performance/index/year/2010/month/10/day/21/time/2000/venue/koerner - Art of Time
John Williams http://performance.rcmusic.ca/performance/index/year/2011/month/03/day/27/time/1500/venue/koerner - Sponsored by the Aaron Brock Foundation in memory of my lovely nephew who died in 2006...
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:11 pm

Wow, Mary.
What a season.
And what a tribute to your nephew!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:57 am

I am taking an introductory lesson on playing the harp this weekend. I think my fascination with the harp comes from an episode of I Love Lucy and seeing Harpo play "Take me out to the ballgame".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H16vDiX_PCo%20So... (saw it in reruns - wasn't born then)

So this Sunday I will sort out renting a harp and then start actually learning. I hope. Crazy hey? I also would like to learn to play a cello.. so that might be my next instrument after the harp.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:03 am

Marye wrote:So this Sunday I will sort out renting a harp and then start actually learning. I hope. Crazy hey? I also would like to learn to play a cello.. so that might be my next instrument after the harp.

Learn to play the harp and you'll be prepared when you get to Heaven.

You may also want to practice the accordian, in case you find yourself in the proverbial handbasket. ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:09 pm

I've always wanted to learn the cello...on the dream list...I just keep hoping one of the kids will want to learn an instrument and we can learn together...
Best of luck Mary!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:07 am

My first real harp lesson is scheduled for Thursday. I am to do 4 lessons on consecutive days to learn technique and then regular weekly harp lessons. We will see if my no longer youthful hands can do this. Wishing and hoping.

Saw Death in Venice at the Canadian Opera Company (see my facebook for two pictures -- one is totally boring of the stage the other is the area where the pre performance chat occurs. No one there to chat but we are enjoying a glass of wine while we wait). This production was genius. Everyone was on their feet bravoing... (can that be a word?)
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:29 pm

As long as that Canadian Angel doesn't depart this realm too early. ;-)

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Take care of your nails and fingertips!
I hope its wonderful fun.

Altoid began piano lessons $160 dollars ago. She's enjoying it very much, and practicing more than the minimum required, so we'll keep with it. She likes to sing and accompany herself. I think its totally awesome that's she's started using what she knows already (even if it is Mary Had a Little Lamb, right hand only).
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Went to Hugh's Room in Toronto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVY8LoM47xI&feature=related to hear the Stan Roger's Tribute performed by some of his friends and family. Oh my, oh my this man had a magnficent voice and wrote such beautiful songs:

Sang my lungs out on this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-PQbdmQRwc&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXcJI5Y2pBm7afI9-lXUn2ER. What a joy ....

This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th-WDf42rG0&feature=related brings tears to my eyes. This should be Canada's national anthem.

He is still so loved in Canada and is still so unknown.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:22 pm

That North-West passage tune reminds me of something Irish. What is it? Or is it just the cadences?
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 pm

It reminds me of a hymn.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:57 pm

My brass ensemble has been invited to perform at Avery Fisher Hall on 12/19/10.
There will be multiple brass groups and choirs.
If anyone is in the NY area and interested....the info is listed below....
Hope to see you there!
TM....
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sun, December 19, 2010 3:00-5:00 Lincoln Center - Avery Fisher Hall -
International Holiday Charity Concert to benefit Harmony For Peace Foundation ticket@harmonyforpeace.org
New York City 70 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Congratulations, TM, that's awesome!
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:30 am

piqaboo wrote:Congratulations, TM, that's awesome!

Thanks!

There will be multiple Brass Choirs along with multiple chorus'
Each group gets a 10 minute feature in addition to the rest of the works on the concert.
We will be performing an antiphonal Gabrielli work and Carol of the Bells and spliting up into 3 groups. One on stage, 2 in the audience.

The West Point Brass will be playing as well. Big surprise is.... the Tuba player is my buddy from Juilliard days.
He does not yet know I will be there and the dress rehearsal will be a reunion! I can hardly wait!!!!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:55 pm

A random act of culture: http://www.creativeminorityreport.com/2 ... us-at.html

Absolutley awesome organ. WOuld have loved to have been there! :flex:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Somebody did the same thing in a food court recently. A friend put a link on Facebook. Like this effort, the food court one was professionally sung and professionally recorded, so I presume it was done by the same organisation, if not the same singers. There's clearly nothing random about it whatever, but it's a nice idea and I hope they keep it up through the year.

Speaking of organs, I went to another concert in Auckland's Town Hall where John Wells, the City Organist, was giving a recital on the new organ. I came away as impressed as ever. This organ is quite something.

Program: Buxtehude, Prelude in G minor BuxWV149
Tadashi Yamanouchi, 5 of the 6 Poemes Pour Orge. (Why the title of a Japanese work is in French wasn't explained).
Liszt, Variations on Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen.
Vierne, Naiades (#4 from Pieces de Fantasie Op. 55)
Franck, Piece Heroique.
Batiste, Grand Offertoire

Encore, Blazing Away.

For anyone who may contemplate visiting NZ next year, the program for the organ is:

Sunday April 3, 2:30pm: Martin Setchell, Christchurch City Organist.

Thursday April 14, 8:00pm: Robert Costin and the Auckland Philharmonia in Guilmant's Symphony #1 in D Minor.

Saturday June 4, 6:30pm: Sarah Kim (Paris, presumably France, not Texas).

Sunday June 19, 2:30pm: Joseph Nolan (Perth, Australia).

Sunday Sept. 18, 2:30pm: Robert Ampt, Sydney City Organist (Australia).

Sunday, December 4, 2:30pm: John Wells.

Wednesday, December 14. 100th anniversary of the opening of the Town Hall. They're planning something big.

If you're in Auckland and at all interested in organ music, any of these concerts is a must. The ones on Sundays are free. but they ask for a donation on the way out.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby audiogirl » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:02 pm

piqaboo wrote:Take care of your nails and fingertips!
I hope its wonderful fun.

Altoid began piano lessons $160 dollars ago. She's enjoying it very much, and practicing more than the minimum required, so we'll keep with it. She likes to sing and accompany herself. I think its totally awesome that's she's started using what she knows already (even if it is Mary Had a Little Lamb, right hand only).

How old is little Altoid now?
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Hello, audiogirl! Long time, no post!

Welcome back!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes