My Weather Today

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: My Weather Today

Postby Shapley » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:

"Don't forget about cockroaches, drivers making left turns from the right hand lane, tasteless food, highest taxes in the nation, really expensive gas, rude and boorish tourists, geckos (they crap everywhere), faltering orchestra that often cannot pay its' members, lying politicians, more taxes, nepotism beyond belief, Spam, expensive housing, no parking anywhere, and enough military running around carrying guns to make you think you're in a banana republic."

Now I'm nostalgic for the Philippines... ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:56 am

Shapley wrote:Giant Communist Robot wrote:

"Don't forget about cockroaches, drivers making left turns from the right hand lane, tasteless food, highest taxes in the nation, really expensive gas, rude and boorish tourists, geckos (they crap everywhere), faltering orchestra that often cannot pay its' members, lying politicians, more taxes, nepotism beyond belief, Spam, expensive housing, no parking anywhere, and enough military running around carrying guns to make you think you're in a banana republic."

Now I'm nostalgic for the Philippines... ;)

:rofl:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Mid 60's in Dallas today, sunny and still. I've been sitting out smoking a cigar and trying to read "The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms". I'm afraid that I'm going to have to pass on the rest of it, Aphoristic writing really isn't my cup of tea.

Suppose to get much colder tomorrow with lows in the 40s
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:54 am

It was 10 degrees (F) when I came to work this morning. We had a dusting of snow over the weekend - very dry, blowing snow because it was well belew freezing when it fell. Some of melted during the periods of sunlight yesterday, although the actual temperature did not get above freezing. It was very windy, as the cold weather blew in.

The sun is out today, but the temperatures are still in teens. Very cold for this time of year. Winter doesn't actually begin for another week...

We had tickets to see Spamalot last night, but it was canceled. Apparently the actors were snowed in somewhere enroute. The sets and equipment made it, so we did not have advance notice of the cancellation. It was not until we arrived at the door that we were turned away. Spamalot became Spamanot, apparently.

More snow in the forecast this week.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43 pm

We had our colleague from South Dakota running around the north country of NY early last week - he said it felt like home with temps barely around 20 and snow...left a day early to beat out the blizzard or would probably still be in Minneapolis if he hadn't. We officially got about 26 inches of snow in the first 10 days of December. Upper 30s Fri, Sat, Sun with rain Sunday and most of it melted off. Now it's 16 (but feels like 2 with winds 16-25 mph) and the west side of the city is getting snow ... which means my parents and brother's family are wondering when the storm is going to start, but for me it's been snowing since I got up. This is mostly going to be lake-effect again - so we could get 2 inches or 2 feet by Wed pm. Temps should moderate late in the week - so Pumpkin should be set for his plan to make some Snow Goons (ala Calvin and Hobbes).
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 pm

30 here last night, 58 now and sunny. I sat out in the backyard and Haggis and I smoked a cigar (secondhand smoke for him) and playing ball. It was pleasant and I don't envy either of you cold weather denizons!!!! :rofl:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:36 pm

82 and sunny. 15 MPH trade winds. Lows in the high 60's.

It bugs me that everyday weather is part of the news. Unless it's something unusual it's not news. We have ordinary and typical weather on most days. Why is that news? And sports is not news. It's entertainment. Unless, say, somebody's head comes off while playing football. That would be news of a sort.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:36 am

Weather IS news in this part of the world. It changes a lot, we have the lovely not terribly predicatable lake effect snow (that is, they know it'll snow but can't tell you exactly where and how much - fun!), and it can affect you life in major ways. My nephews have a snow day today, but all the schools in our county are open. I'm sure there will be an uproar (as there is every year) from parents in the city schools where a lot of kids walk - it's about 12, wind chill makes it feel like -2. Too cold for the salt to work well, so the roads aren't great, but snow is still just coming down lightly - we got about 10 inches in the last 24 hours - not too much that we can't handle it. I'm working from home today, however. Figure why fight the traffic and lose a 1/2 hour on either end of the day, worry I won't get home in time for the bus, etc. Will take a break to shovel this pm, though. Snowblower isn't working - arg! I'll be going to get Bella after 3 and husband has finals today - 4:30 and 7:30. He just cleared enough to get the car out this am.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am

Here's some rather dramatic video of the Metrodome in Minnapolis collasping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAyLX2hY ... r_embedded

A few days ago, I was feeling sorry for the French. Paris had been brought to a standstill by a snowstorm. Businesses were closed; transportation had ground to a halt; travelers were stranded; the Eiffel Tower was shut down. A familiar story. But then I read this:

Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux asked drivers to leave their vehicles at home the day after 11 centimetres (more than four inches) of snow fell on Paris, the most since 1987.

Four inches?! Shut down a country? Those Euro weenie wimps.

Schmeelkie could tell them how to survive!!

Now in the spirit of honesty I can confirm that I would not venture out of the house if we get two inches :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Weather IS news in this part of the world.

Weather is news everywhere in the world when there's something unusual about it. As winter approaches it gets cold in Rochester, then snows, that's not news. In the summer it will warm up, and between the two will be transitional periods. If something unexpected happens and people need to be informed then that's news. The routine is not news.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Hawaii must have a more stable climate than we do. In this agricultural and out-door touristy country, weather is very important. The seasons roll around, certainly, but if that's likely to occur in one day, or, as at present, ahead of schedule, a lot of people need to know about it.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:53 am

The Metrodome was an inside job . . .
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:25 am

BigJon wrote:The Metrodome was an inside job . . .

It's more evidence of a deflationary cycle.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:24 am

We got over a foot during the day in my town, so they canceled after-school activities and the bus showed up about 8 min late. Take that France!
The interesting thing about the lake effect is the specificity - my brother's family ~40 miles to the east got about an inch or two in the past 24 hours, here at work ~15 east of our house, about 4-6 inches, and we totalled, I'd guess 15-18 inches. It was our turn - a week ago we got about 10 inches and my brother got 20-30. So I guess the news is where the snow bands are and what roads they're messing up. A highway ~10 miles SW of our house was apparently a sheet of ice this am, but all the roads I was on were dry tracks between snow or slushy. Roads are getting better today as the temp is moving up into the low 20s so the salt can work - should be nice by the time I go home, even if we get a few more inches.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:55 am

67 outside right now. Expected to reach 77 later today. Very unseasonable but I'll take it any day
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:28 pm

33 right now here on Long Island.
Was 18 with a wind chill of -5 this morning........ Brrrrrrrr......................
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:28 pm

it put a ceiling on inflation (the metrodome)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:13 am

Been raining for 24 hours straight now; one to two inches per hour. Supposed to continue this way through Monday. I was driving downtown and could not see the car in front of me.

This is news.

Glad I live on the dry part of the island.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:02 am

No snow... 20 December and still no snow... Only a dusting here and there but not enough for snow shoeing, a white christmas or to even shovel the driveway... man I miss the snow. :(
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 am

72 and breezy today, 75 tomorrow. Supposed to be 40's on Christmas day
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections