The PW Camp

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: The PW Camp

Postby dai bread » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:58 pm

piqaboo wrote:...I think the funniest word so far is hunger - in manderin it sounds a lot like "ewwwwww".

Appropriate. Like the word for cat, which is meeow. At least I think it's Mandarin. It might be Cantonese.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 am

WHAT AMERICA NEEDS: Haggis-flavored Potato Chips.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Hmmm....
Can we get the smoked ham flavored ones, first?
And can someone get a really good version of buffalo wings w blue cheese onto a chip?
The ones out there are like slightly spicy sweet barbecue, not buffalo sauce.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 pm

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:44 pm

We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 pm

This iPhone app blows me away! Imagine taking this along for travel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:00 am

jamiebk wrote:This iPhone app blows me away! Imagine taking this along for travel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs

that is cool...

too bad AT&T can't improve their network. We have the iPhone (3G)
the apps are fun and work neat BUT
use the device as a phone.... poor quality.... can't hear.... and numerous dropped calls.

as soon as our contracts are up... we are going back to Verizon Wireless......
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 am

jamiebk wrote:This iPhone app blows me away! Imagine taking this along for travel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs

That is impressive.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Hey - got over 1000 posts without noticing! This should be 1010!

And - my SIL works for Verizon - she and my brother have the DroidX and love it - not terribly different from the iphone from what I can tell (MIL has iphone). I have Droid-envy, but am afraid I would spend too much time playing with it instead of paying attention to my kids, so am holding off on upgrading...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:48 pm

congratulations!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Congratulations on your post count, Schmeelkie.
I come out to the living room fairly often now to see father/daughter side by side, playing games on the iphones.
I'm not sure if its a touching sight, or a disturbing one. ;)
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:

that is cool...

use the device as a phone.... poor quality.... can't hear.... and numerous dropped calls.

The nice thing about the app is that you don't have to be in network for it to work. It resides on the phone.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:44 am

jamiebk wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:

that is cool...

The nice thing about the app is that you don't have to be in network for it to work. It resides on the phone.

That is why that part works fine.... :mrgreen:
Too bad.... had AT&T and switched to Verizon Wireless in 2001 and Verizons' quality back then was way ahead of AT&T.

I guess I figured wrong when we got the iPhones that the quality 9 years later would have improved.
It is just as bad or worse.....

I saw Verizon wireless will be getting iPhones in early 2011 so we will be able to keep our phones
when we switch back......
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:48 pm

I love verizon but have a crappy phone, I'm thinking of a droid or iphone in early 2011. The MRHYN hates cel phones and uses it to talk. I bought her a new one last year and she's still mad. She won't learn how to do anything but talk on it and I have to put in all her numbers. She only figured out how to get into voice mail recently, she had like 50 voicemail messages.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:41 pm

I've got to talk to Verizon about getting texting on my phone - useful at work often, but per-text fees are ridiculous. My husband (who has the 'primary phone') has never texted - I had to walk him through reading one from someone recently. He's not a technology guy, unless it helps him do economics better... He's afraid of Facebook like I'm afraid of getting a smartphone - worried it'll eat too much time... and you gotta realize our land line phones are corded... we're both of the, if it isn't broken, no need to replace mindset. But when one of our desktops goes, we're getting a laptop. So I can surf or whatever while in the same room, or outside with kids, and husband can work outside on nice summer days.
I figure we're better off than most folks due to our 'if it isn't broken, no need to replace mindset', my lack of use of makeup and jewelry, and our enduring 'need' to consume free food whereever we find it (left over from college/grad school days). Saves a lot of money...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:21 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:I've got to talk to Verizon about getting texting on my phone - useful at work often, but per-text fees are ridiculous. My husband (who has the 'primary phone') has never texted - I had to walk him through reading one from someone recently. He's not a technology guy, unless it helps him do economics better... He's afraid of Facebook like I'm afraid of getting a smartphone - worried it'll eat too much time... and you gotta realize our land line phones are corded... we're both of the, if it isn't broken, no need to replace mindset. But when one of our desktops goes, we're getting a laptop. So I can surf or whatever while in the same room, or outside with kids, and husband can work outside on nice summer days.
I figure we're better off than most folks due to our 'if it isn't broken, no need to replace mindset', my lack of use of makeup and jewelry, and our enduring 'need' to consume free food whereever we find it (left over from college/grad school days). Saves a lot of money...

Text plans are usually $7-10/month depending on how much texting you want to do. It is totally worth it because the "per message" charge adds up really fast and usually far ezceeds the simple per month fee.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:00 pm

excellent - thanks Jamie. When I get spammed with a text I don't want - it's often 'premium', thus $9.95, plus some change here and there for texts I send or actually want to receive - so my total for texting is often over $10. I know you can tell phone company to block a number for texts, thus won't get charged - something to do over break...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:09 am

Look into the "unlimited" texting family plans. I do more texting than calling, by count, though the calls add up to lots more minutes. Texts are a good way to send grocery lists, addresses, notes to people at work, mothers who have small people underfoot, etc. It's like putting a stickie note on somebody's calendar. You know they're going to see it, you know they're also going to know it's not terribly urgent. It's less intrusive than a call.

And then there are times like when I spotted this delightfully tacky tutu-and-tights-with-glitter-and-a-rose in the store, displayed the pink and the purple and the magenta and the black/red ones and sent Melle a picture for Ellie to see and decide if she'd like one. Yes. The PINK!!!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:10 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:this delightfully tacky tutu-and-tights-with-glitter-and-a-rose in the store, displayed the pink and the purple and the magenta and the black/red ones and sent Melle a picture for Ellie to see and decide if she'd like one. Yes. The PINK!!!

Altoid scored the purple/magenta one, courtesy Grandpa. :)
piqaboo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes