My Weather Today

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: My Weather Today

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Nicole Marie wrote:No snow... 20 December and still no snow... Only a dusting here and there but not enough for snow shoeing, a white christmas or to even shovel the driveway... man I miss the snow. :(

You can have some of our 42 inches!!! Weather guy said that if we top 46 inches this month it'll break a record for December. We average 100 inches a year, so getting this much just in December is a lot, even for Rochester. We're still behind Syracuse in the Golden Snowball contest... Of course we're not supposed to get more than an inch any day this week, but it's staying cold so - white Christmas for us. If I have time, I'll post a pic of Pumpkin's snow goon.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Wet here - most of the weekend, expected thru most of the week.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 pm

5" of snow expected on Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea on the big island.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:57 am

28 degrees, wind blowing, feels like 15 out there.
put the down coat on Jenny this morning for our walk.... Brrrr....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Anyone catch the lunar eclipse? It was too cloudy here - though while it seemed like bright clouds at 1am, it was significantly darker at 3am (peak of eclipse in EST). Friends in DC area and Virginia were planning to get up to see it.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Overcast and raining here, too. I didn't even bother getting up to try to see it, since the forecast said it would not be visible.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Still wet. The little brook thru the bottom of the canyon is a rapidly running creek right now.
The dog goes out only reluctantly, and only when she reallllly needs to.
the child throws on boots and coat, and revels in being out.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:05 pm

87.3 on my patio but some of that is probably reflected off the concrete. It's closer to 85. Haggis talked me into a cigar. Christmas day is supposed to be a high of 40 and a low in the 20. I still got to get the MRHYN a last pressie, any female suggestions???
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Given your liking for Gold, I would suggest Gold jewelry.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Hmmmmmmm
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Cloudy and humid here. My new shade sail is yet to get a decent work-out. The installer said he'd had 20 residential inquiries this summer so far, as against 6 last year. Global Warming is at work. It's clearly profitable for people besides Al Gore.

Talking of Global Warming, did you catch the comment from some British GW enthusiast insisting, in a country frozen to a standstill, that GW was still happening?
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Still wet. Really wet. Parts of freeways are closed due to flooding.
At least one window is leaking (there's a job of work for someone when the weather clears).
Hoping my hill stays solid.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:49 pm

piqaboo wrote:Hoping my hill stays solid.

You read my mind, I was going to PM you and ask, Stay safe.

47 here today, gray (...or is it "grey" never can figure that out) and chilly, I'm ready for Spring....
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:02 pm

dai bread wrote: Talking of Global Warming, did you catch the comment from some British GW enthusiast insisting, in a country frozen to a standstill, that GW was still happening?

Yeah, the WSJ had some fun at his expense

Have You Stopped Beating the Heat Yet?
Want proof that "global warming" is nonsense? It's unfalsifiable. A March 20, 2000, article from the Independent, a left-wing London paper, has been making the rounds recently that declares:

Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives.
Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters--which scientists are attributing to global climate change--produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries.

More than a decade later Britain seems to have--pardon the expression, Miss Totenberg--a white Christmas in store. So London's other left-wing Daily, the Guardian, publishes a heads-I-win-tails-you-lose article by George Monbiot titled "That Snow Outside Is What Global Warming Looks Like": "There is now strong evidence to suggest that the unusually cold winters of the last two years in the UK are the result of heating elsewhere." Like maybe in the Southern Hemisphere, where Christmas comes during the summer?

Down there, the Sydney Morning Herald has a story with this headline: "There's a Mini Ice Age Coming, Says Man Who Beats Weather Experts." Global warmists will no doubt respond by demanding to know if he's stopped beating the experts yet.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Well, the land is fairly dry here. Maybe all the water got evaporated up, blown to the Northern Hemisphere, and dropped thereon as snow. I get tales of freezing from Montana, too. Apparently it's cold enough there to cause comment.

My new shade sail is getting a work-out today.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:53 am

In this neck of the woods (not much woods left after the recent severe and tragic forest fire on Mount Carmel) global warming is being felt with a vengeance. This winter, normally the rainy season, has so far seen hardly any precipitation at all, with daytime temperatures almost at the summer level - typically 20 deg C and more; the Sea of Galilee is at an all time low.
At least I save electricity on water and home heating...
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:43 am

Perhaps a better description for so called "Global Warming" is "Climate Shift"...that's really what happens. "Warming" is a misnomer.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:32 pm

This year we had several warmer than average months and the snow stopped early (we got our 100 inches last year, but the last of it arrived in mid-late Feb - usually goes through March). I'd guess that this December has been colder than average (we average low 30's, but have probably only been above freezing, at most, 5 days this month), and we're about an inch away from the snowiest December EVER recorded (previous record was ~46 inches)! So, ancedotally, I'd go with the shifty-ness if our snow stops early again this year... Overall precip here has been above average probably every month - only about 3 inches above average for the year...

so, good news - White Christmas for us, bad news...more shoveling for us...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:20 pm

jamiebk wrote:Perhaps a better description for so called "Global Warming" is "Climate Shift"...that's really what happens. "Warming" is a misnomer.

Why not just call it Climate? Shifting is what our climate has always done.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:09 am

I saw a sunset today. And some sunshine, the last part of the afternoon. And portions of the landscape were merely soggy, rather than actually dripping. It was a lovely change.

The pets are severely disappointed in my performance, however, as Producer Of Desirable Events. Of which extended rainfall is not one. It is My Fault. There have been Complaints and Accusations.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections