The PW Camp

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: The PW Camp

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:57 am

You have to be of a certain age to fully appreciate this and anyone over the age of 50 will have shared this sentiment. I just re-found this while going through some older documents and thought I would share it with you.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 pm

We always had this type during the time I can remember:

People learned that they could pull the bottles out far enough that they could open them with an opener and catch the cola in a cup. Pretty soon, we arrived every morning to find a rack full of empty bottles and a puddle of cola in the bottom of the machine and on the concrete pad it sat on. After a while, we just took the machines out. My dad refused to sell canned cola.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Shapley wrote:We always had this type during the time I can remember:

People learned that they could pull the bottles out far enough that they could open them with an opener and catch the cola in a cup. Pretty soon, we arrived every morning to find a rack full of empty bottles and a puddle of cola in the bottom of the machine and on the concrete pad it sat on. After a while, we just took the machines out. My dad refused to sell canned cola.

[Codger alert] Didn't they seem to taste better out of the bottle? I think it had to do with using real sugar instead of corn syrup, here in Texas they still sell Dr. Pepper with cane sugar and Coke during one time of the year (I think it has to do with Passover) and they sell out PDQ [/codger alert]
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:14 pm

They did taste better out of the bottle, no doubt about it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby analog » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:01 pm

there's something primal in the perception of defiance.
i've got mighty mad at vending machines myself.
Starbuck pointed out to Ahab the folly of raging against an indifferent beast. I'm still working on it..

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:47 pm

analog wrote:there's something primal in the perception of defiance.
i've got mighty mad at vending machines myself.
Starbuck pointed out to Ahab the folly of raging against an indifferent beast. I'm still working on it..

a.

Don't get mad - get even...
At times one has the feeling that inanimate objects and machines are conspiring against one - like when two or three appliances break down at almost the same time. Software does that sometimes as well...
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:04 pm

Is it the sugar, or the glass?

The indifferent soulless take revenge and topple on folks, now and again.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby analog » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Causes one to speculate about the supernatural.

Friday both my cars quit, and i am one who does preventive maintenance to avoid such things. One of them has only 3500 miles on it. Odds of that?

like when two or three appliances break down at almost the same time.

Indeed trouble comes in waves. We used to call it "Revolt of the machines".

Do you seem to hit more traffic lights on red when you're uptight?
That's when they torment me by going yellow fifty feet from intersection.

Ever do that I-Ching thing where you roll dice ten times then plot results?
During my divorce (25 yrs ago) i did and the plot pointed to Rage and Darkness, not just slightly but the extreme corner.

A psychic reader, only one i ever spoke to, once predicted i'd be in court twice within a year but not as defendant. Son of a gun i got two witness summons in six months.. She also predicted my divorce and named the date, 23 December, which turned out the day it was signed by the judge..... so she's been a little hard to dismiss.

Carl Jung wrote about "synchronicity" so i am not alone thinking there's something else out there.
My sister who's a shrink says Metaphysics, ie beyond physics, is still in the parlor game stage just like electricity was in 1700's.

Mind you i don't worship crystals or believe there's grays among us but i believe there is something to intuition.

a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Just as many animals have senses we dont, I can believe we have a sense we dont acknowledge.
We like to simplify, as a species, and in doing that, details get lost from the collective memory.
Its kind of like learning about Germany as one country. It ignores how recent an event this is, how there are still active variants of language within the country (more than regional dialects) etc.
At some point, we stopped talking about certain things and now we dont know of them.
Be interesting to see how the psychic, intuitive stuff pans out.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Shakespeare said it 400 years ago: "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy..."
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:49 pm

piqaboo wrote:Just as many animals have senses we dont, I can believe we have a sense we dont acknowledge.
We like to simplify, as a species, and in doing that, details get lost from the collective memory.
Its kind of like learning about Germany as one country. It ignores how recent an event this is, how there are still active variants of language within the country (more than regional dialects) etc.
At some point, we stopped talking about certain things and now we dont know of them.
Be interesting to see how the psychic, intuitive stuff pans out.

When my identical twins were very young they would be playing separately on the floor with different toys. All of a sudden without looking at each other they would scoot on their butts backwards until they were back to back, I guess to provide back support. When the MRHYN pointed this out I was skeptical until I witnessed it myself on many occasions. The MRHYN swore they were telepathic. They did create their own language until they began speaking. They'd gobble some cryptic phrases at one another then start stalking our dachshund, the first Pooka.

I remember the very first time they became aware of each other. They were very young, probably about a year old. I was putting them in those flimsy car seats that passed for "state of the art" in those days and locked eyes with each other. I got goose bumps when the stare went on for at least a minute. They didn't glance away, they didn't move, they just looked at each other. I had goose bumps the size of boulders. From that moment on every time they were close to each other they'd just stare at each other.

It reminded me of the Heinlein story about twins that could communicate instantaneously telepathically over light years.

I think now they could communicate telepathically but as they developed their own verbal language and then learned English that ability faded. Even today they still seem to know subconsciously what the other is feeling.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:12 pm

The local Costco has the "Hecho in Mexico" Coca-Cola. In bottles, made with cane sugar. It can still be got, if you're willing to look. Apparently, Mexico has a law against the corn syrup/can sort of soda?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 am

Huzzah for Mexico, corn syrup is milk directly from the Devil's teat.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 pm

We have the 'move into a new house, appliance breaks in the first week problem' - dishwasher at the first house, disposal at the second. both were checked and given a pass by house inspectors days before closing. Husband always claims that event conspire against him...
The red light thing is only true because you notice it more when you're in a hurry, late, upset, whatever...
And I think the sense of smell is much more potent when kids are pre-language...smell of Mommy is pretty powerful, switching stuffed animals doesn't work cause they know which is theirs. My twin neices can tell their bunnies that they sleep with apart, but parents can't (they're 2 1/2 already!).
And somehow, almost all the time, if I'm losing it and starting to yell at the kids, my husband can remain calm, and vice versa. (then usually I'll just leave the room to calm down). And there's the old saw that old married couples can finish each other's sentences...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby analog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Ever gone fishing with kids? They'll catch them like crazy while you don't get a nibble..
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:28 pm

wooohooo......just passed the 4000 post mark. 1/20/11 11:32AM
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Altoid has now been fishing. The neighbors took her and their kids. The youngest caught the only fish of the day.
Altoid is now the proud owner of an "Ironman" fishing pole, chosen not because she likes the character - she says she dislikes it - but because it was the only one that came with a free tackle-box. (not that she has any tackle to put in it.)

Is this a good sign - a frugal shopper, or a bad sign - a clutter gatherer?

Either way, she was thrilled to pieces with the way the day went.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:14 am

Is this a good sign - a frugal shopper, or a bad sign - a clutter gatherer?

Well, i'd say it's a good sign either way.

If i recall correctly her Grandpa has on hand enough parts to make an XK140(?) Jaguar, which is just about the most elite form of clutter imaginable. So nurture her appreciation of fine junque.

It's a fine madness, i have probably ten old Evinrudes stashed away for my four grandkids.... and five boats... and some telescopes..
oh well, it is after all the technological age.

a. :crazy:
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Evinrudes. Hah!
Have you seen "The Rescuers"?
My dad laughed his head off at Evinrude the dragonfly because the sounds were just like those from Uncle George's evinrude outboard, when he would take my dad fishing.

Mom and I , and later my sister, would stay w Nanna Marie, and I would hope hope hope that 1) the orange frosted cookies would still be in the Danish cookie assortment served with our tea, and that she had butter mints. I lurve buttermints and its all due to introduction by Nanna Marie.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Kewl!

Alex Trebek hosts IBM supercomputer Watson on Jeopardy next month. The key to Watson’s success will not be just its vast stores of trivia but also its ability to quickly parse the clues.

I mentioned this to the MRHYN and she immediately replied that she hopes Brad or the computer wins.

She has twice qualified to be on the show and was in the pool of candidates. Once when we lived in Southern CA and again in a contestant search here in Dallas but was never called; she blames Ken Jennings' run after she qualified here in Dallas. I, of course, agree with her 100%. :sing:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes